Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS650 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first VStar, 2007 650 Custom, with 2,500 miles on it. Previous owner kept it outside, under a cover.
There are a few things that need some attention. . . most of which I am not worried about tackling.
The one thing that I need some input about is starting the bike.
The starter seems to work fine when it actually starts, plenty of battery power, but sometimes when I press the start button, it does nothing.
I press and press, and it won't turn the starter. Then randomly, it'll start up again.
Is this an electrical issue? Maybe the starter is going? Compression lock?
Please, any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,555 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. For you intermediate starting issue I would check the starter switch on handlebar itself, might be corrosion on contacts from sitting. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Super Moderator
3,111 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from Houston Texas. For you intermediate starting issue I would check the starter switch on handlebar itself, might be corrosion on contacts from sitting. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.
I will definitely play with the starter switch to see! Thank you for that suggestion

·
9,555 Posts
I will definitely play with the starter switch to see! Thank you for that suggestion
Starting with the simple checks are often overlooked but often turns out to be the issue. Second item I would check is the negative battery cable to frame connection. It's notorious for having corrosion there. Remove, clean and reinstall. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Les has you on the right path as always. Corroded connections sounds like the place to start. I had a vtx with the starter button problem. Little cleaning and it was fixed. Hope you get it quickly. Stop by often and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
779 Posts
welcome to the forum from NY and another '07 650 owner. I think the threads above are on the right track. If they fail, there are also switches on the kickstand (has to be up if in gear) and the clutch (has to be pulled in if in gear). You could also take your battery out and have it load tested at many auto parts stores. You can also download the shop service manual for free by googling it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a VERY difficult time (not entirely unsuccessful, but difficult time locating docs pertaining to parts, etc for this model bike.
Do you know of a link you could post here for a pdf manual, or something similar? Recent efforts since obtaining the bike, have proven pretty hard to get concise info.....

"You can also download the shop service manual for free by googling it."

·
9,555 Posts
For repair manual, just Google : Vstar 650 repair manual. Several come up. Here's one.

Another good tool is diagrams from OEM supplier. Here's a sample:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to my starting issue....
I pulled apart the kill switch/starter button knuckle. The starter button terminals definitely needed cleaning as there was quite a bit of carbon build up on them.
Cleaned the starter botton terminals then tested. It seemed d to be less sporadic in getting the starter motor to turn the engine, but there is still several times I have to press the button. . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For repair manual, just Google : Vstar 650 repair manual. Several come up. Here's one.

Another good tool is diagrams from OEM supplier. Here's a sample:

View attachment 92338
Thank you for the link for the manual! You guys are great!:giggle:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
one common problem is the bike uses the frame for the ground wire

people ohm out the red power wire, and forget the black wire goes to the frame, and its a metal to metal connection

trace the black wire from the battery to the frame, take the bolt or screw off, and polish the metal up on both sides with a dremil tool sanding drum or something similar

its often the cause because you cant see the wire where it connects to the frame, unless you go looking for it

·
Super Moderator
3,964 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As you can see this is a very active forum full of knowledgeable and helpful people. A 650 with that kind of mileage isn't even broken in and it will give you 100,000 more miles with routine maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
7,649 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee, Les and KCW and the others have you going in the right direction. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts