Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I purchased my first bike 5 years ago, an old 1998 V-Star 650 Custom with 4K miles at the age of 40. I grew up on the back of my dads HD, going to grandparents, little league games, and school.

I bought my bike from a local dealer for a reasonable price, 2 days after I completed a Rider course. It is not an expensive bike, nor one that I knew I was going to keep long term. It was a perfect bike to really learn to ride on.

I am now in the market for a new bike. Well, not new, but a new-to-me used bike. What can I say, I'm thrifty, and I love workin on stuff!

I have friends that ride all sorts of brands of bikes, and each one tells me a different story. There isn't any brand bashing, but just props about the bikes they own. I personally love the Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads, but with the folding of the Victory line, I will not be heading in that direction. I have narrowed it down to a few brands and styles, but am leaning hard to another Yamaha. I have been looking hard at finding a used Road Star. I love the look, versatility, custom-ability, reasonably priced, and Yamaha reliability. My ex-Bro-in-law owes one and loves it.

I'll keep you all posted how the search goes and I may ask for some pointers on things to look for/watch out for.

Laters!

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum, please keep us updated on what you get. I don't think you can go wrong with a Road Star for all the reasons you mentioned. Be sure to post up some pics of your new to you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,387 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada. The 650 is indeed an amazing bike and a great way to back into riding. I got a new to me VStar 1100 last year and I love it. I didn't want anything smaller as I planned on taking a passenger a lot of the time. Riding solo it's got all I need. However when taking a passenger I wish it had a little longer legs so I've been researching Road Stars and I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading in the next year or two. I love the long stroke, old school style of them and from what I've read 100,000 plus miles is not unusual. I don't think I've read a bad review on them, and I've read a lot. Good luck with your choice and looking forward to hearing what you decided.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I have gotten the impression that people that buy Yamaha Road Stars keep them for the rest of their lives.... literally.

Can be a little hard to find a deal on a low mileage used one... and they dont make them anymore.

I talked to a guy this spring that was selling a 1999 with only 1600 miles, for $3000. I talked him into keeping it, because he was going to sell it and buy a harley. He did not realize the value of what he has, and I did not want to take advantage of him.

Im still looking for a deal.

Also considering a VStar 1300 or an FJR1300.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hope your search is going well. Yamahas are great bikes. I have no regrets with my 950, as it had taken me many miles very comfortably. Definitely keep us posted and let us know what you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts