Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Hello from the shadows of the Arch...

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  BigC1972 
#1 ·
Hello everyone...

My name is Travis and I live in the St. Louis, MO area (actually on the Illinois side of the river) with my lovely wife and three kids...

I'm certainly not a lifetime motorcycle person....My mother has a SERIOUS fear of bikes and as such my brothers and I were never allowed near them as kids and my dad never had one...

About a year and a half ago I started thinking about possibly getting a bike and would share that with a good friend and co-worker who had ridden for years and loved it...He was a Harley guy and just beamed every time he spoke about riding and how much fun it was...Initially I kind of just passed it off as a crazy idea and nothing more but in April of last year my friend was killed in a crazy camping accident where he and his 24 year old son were overcome by Carbon Monoxide in their camper...He didn't make it but thankfully his son did and was able to recover from his injuries...

It was after that I decided that life was to short and I was going to go for it....So I showed up and stood in the walk-in line for our Basic Riders Course program and about keeled over myself over the weekend out on the colleges paved parking lot where the course was held but I made it through, had a blast and was convinced that I wanted to ride a motorcycle of my own...

So one week later my wife and I went to a local dealer and after some deliberation and husband/wife discussion ;) we were the proud owners of a brand new 2009 VStar 1300..

It's been an awesome year since then...I've put nearly 5K miles on my 1300 and my wife even decided to join me and took the riders course and has her own 2010 950T and is developing into a very good rider in her own right...

It's been a great year....I enjoy so much being on the bike...It clears the mind better than anything I've done....just you, the bike and the road...Beyond that though the people I've met since I started actively riding have been great...

So that's my motorcycle story in a big nutshell :)

If anyone is in my neck of the woods and would like to get together for a ride just give me a shout....

Glad to be here!!!

BC

See less See more
#4 ·
Strato...thanks for the welcome...wish the story had a better and happier ending but I know my buddy is up there somewhere smiling down when he sees me riding my bike!!!

Springer....nope not Helen but I do really like the movie Troy ;-) No plans to conquer any greek god worshiping nations right now but some buds and I may do a breakfast ride on Saturday :)

#5 ·
Welcome aboard.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for the very warm welcome!!

Bevo....glad we're both a part of the STAR family of bikes because as a farm kid that grew up in central Nebraska and bleeds Scarlet and Cream I don't think we'll agree much on college football ;-) j/k I like Mack B. he's a pretty cool cat...and you're right I wish I would have gotten started earlier but the big guy has a plan for all of us and I guess this was my wife and I's time and I'm thankful that we have the ability to enjoy this great lifestyle...

Gaijin...thank you very much!!

#9 ·
Welcome from where i'm at

#12 ·
Welcome to the sight, great story.

Oh btw, to both you and Bevo......

Boomer Sooner! ;-)

#18 ·
Hey BigC. I, too, started late but am making up for it. 15 years ago the Doc said I had but 3-4 years left. I said that I might as well enjoy to the hilt what I had left so I began that long ride on two wheels shortly after I moved to Mexico. I been all over the West Coast of Mexico from the U.S. to Guatamala and 24 of the 42 states. Longest single trip was 40 days and 40 nights on a round trip tour of southern Mexico back in 2003. Latest longest trip was from Fresno CA. to Mexico City last Feb when I bought my MADRIGADA. I hope you will get as much or more plesure from your 09 bike as I have from my different rides.´ Life just gets better if you let it go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.