Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Good to be part of this forum. Interesting story if I may. My good riding buddy purchased a 2006 Stratoliner in

April 2018. We belong to the same riding club. He passed away very sadly and unexpectedly in October 2018.

I approached the bank expressing interest in purchasing the bike-but they were asking above my budget.

The bike ended up being on CL for two months and noticed the price had dropped appreciably. Made an offer, which

was just accepted and will pick up the bike on Monday 07 January. Anyway sure I will be posting lots of questions-

many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
that is a bittersweet way to acquire a motorcycle, you lost a good friend but Im sure he would be happy knowing you have his bike.

If its been sitting since October I would drain the fuel out of the tank before you start it up and ride it - put fresh gas in the tank.

10% ethanol fuel breaks down pretty quickly, unless a fuel stabilizer was put in the tank when the gas was fresh. Since he passed away unexpectedly his bike probably was not prep'd for storage.

People trying to start their bikes up in the spring when they were not properly stored is one of the biggest problems we see here every year. The gas breaks down and gets like jello / goo then clogs up the carbs or fuel injectors. Once the fuel is old there is nothing you can do to restore it, drain it out and get fresh gas.

Let us know if you have any issues.

If you are planning on picking the bike up and riding it home, the simple check is to look in the gas tank. If the gas is clear its probably ok. If it looks like coffee, tea or Pepsi, dont even try to start it up. The more you run bad gas thru the fuel system the more it plugs things up.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,513 Posts

·
2,525 Posts
Welcome from the other coast. You found the best forum for sharing tips and experiences with other Yammie enthusiasts (or anything on two wheels for that matter). The Strat is a great bike and although it was a difficult way to acquire it, I'm sure your buddy would be happy you ended up with it. Love to see a pic of it when you get it.

·
Super Moderator
6,417 Posts
Hi saffer!
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! Love to see a pic of your ride. Very interesting story on how acquired it, I think it was meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Welcome Saffer. Condolences on your friend but he'll never be forgotten now! As previously mentioned, it was meant to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts