Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bike nut, and I've been searching this forum for info, but have never joined... so here I am. I love rebuilding crashed bikes and modifying my bikes.

Recently I finished "chopping" a vstar 650 raking the neck and installing a HD wide glide triple and dropping the rear end and shaving "stuff" off of the bike that I didn't want to disturb the look and installed pipes and intake and tuned it as well as installed a digital dash and modified the gas tank to accept this digital dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos of building it

The problem I have when I'm doing a project, is I get so involved in what I'm doing that I forget to take photos except some stray sporadic ones when I remember it... so here are some photos of it in process - sorry though as its not a good documentation of it. When I cut the neck and raked it, I purchased some adaptors to adapt the original neck to the Harley standard bearings and I raked the neck to 40°. Then I purchased a 5° rake triple and this generated a 4.5" trail, so the bike still handles very well.
What we started with:

Disassembly:

After raking the neck, I wanted to measure where the fender will sit (ultimately it went to the stock position) and the rear ride height:

This is where I sucked at taking photos... I raked the neck, sanded everything and I painted the frame, swing arm, side covers, all the small bits, the engine and started reassembling...

(I like boats too, so my wife took some photos of the bike and I was working on an outdrive in the background for our boat getting ready for spring)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More photos...

Before I modified the fuel tank, rear fender. I wanted to get an eye full of what the lines of the bike were so I could decide what I wanted to change and what coloring/striping I wanted before I painted it.

On the fuel tank I removed the speedo housing brackets, and filled in half of the speedo cutout and fiberglassed it in and then frenched it out to get a smooth transfer to the new speedo (which is a hemisphere)
On the rear fender I welded backing plates on the inside of it to block off the original holes that were to support the taillight assembly and the threaded holes for the passengers seat, then rosette welded to fill the holes and ground them down to clean it up.

I painted the first base coat (the purple looks silly in these photos as theres no clear coat on them, the blue is painters tape masking off the strips. I wanted everything on the bike so I could get the strips centered and to make the lines of the tank match to the lines of the fender.

More of the same:

After paint, before wetsanding and buffing:

Then a lot of tuning, final assembly and installed a start button under the fuel tank where you can't see it and removed the right control and I removed the turn signal switch from the left control and buffed/polished the housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
She needs to go...

Unfortunately I need to sell her as I'm working on another project and I can't keep this one. It has less than 200 miles on it. Here is a quick walkaround video of the bike I took with my phone.

If you're interested or know someone who is in buying, PM me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts