Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your AMSOIL Factory Connection Dealer Group is your newest forum sponsor. Most of you are already familiar with our product line, especially our motorcycle products, and may already be using them in your bikes and other vehicles. The participating AMSOIL dealers making up this group are offering special discounts for forum members so if you decide to use AMSOIL products check with them before purchasing locally or on line as our prices are the same no matter where you live in the USA or Canada. We plan to occasionally contribute some generic technical information concerning lubricants and filtration when asked and hope to have a long-term forum relationship.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone at Amsoil explain why the huge price difference between Canada and the US? We pay twice the price here up north, why?:(:(
You must be looking at a Retailer such as Canadian Tire.

You can pay whatever they feel like that day or call us and let us help show you how to buy at their cost.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use our AGL 80W-90 but I always use and recommend our top of the line SVG 75W-90.

It may be overkill but about $2.50 per qt more spread over 4 fills is cheap insurance

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,116 Posts
i've got amsoil 20w50 in my V Star 950 right now and am due for an oil change. i typically change the oil about twice a year and usually go close to 5K miles before changing the oil. i live in Austin, TX and we've had a record number of 100+ degree days, but the temperature is about to start dropping this week and whatever i put in my engine now will last until next spring just when the temp starts to hit 80 and 90 degrees again.

so here's my question based on the above information. should i switch to 10w40 during the cooler months, or just stay with 20w50? what's the difference?

additional question: your site's FAQ claims "AMSOIL motorcycle oils are engineered to provide protection up to twice the manufacturer’s recommended change interval or one year, whichever comes first." should we just use this as a general guide that we can push the manufacturer's suggested oil change interval somewhat, or should we take this statement literally that we can actually go twice as long with your synthetic oil before changing it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bevo, I asked them a few similar questions about amsoil 20w50 in my star 950. Bob from amsoil told the that when using a premium synthetic that 10w40 is all that is needed for any weather. He told me that the 20w50 would not hurt my bike considering how hot is has been in Houston. He said to make sure I warm the bike up before riding using 20w50.

The owners manual suggests a 10w40 for cooler weather and I do plan to switch to amsoil 10w40 once it cools off here.

As far as oil life goes he said that when using an amsoil oil filter we can run 8000 miles per oil/filter change. If not using an amsoil filter simply change the filter at 4000 miles and top off the oil. I plan to do this since I'm not currently running an amsoil filter.

I hope this helps. I can forward you the PM that Bob from amsoil sent me if you would like to read it for your self. Just let me know.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Sadjr, it would be nice that you post the PM here so others would benefit from it. Here in Canada, the Amsoil is very expensive and as you can read above the only answer they gave me was to contact them to find out how to get it cheaper (read into becoming a dealer).

Cheers,

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Bevo, I asked them a few similar questions about amsoil 20w50 in my star 950. Bob from amsoil told the that when using a premium synthetic that 10w40 is all that is needed for any weather. He told me that the 20w50 would not hurt my bike considering how hot is has been in Houston. He said to make sure I warm the bike up before riding using 20w50.

The owners manual suggests a 10w40 for cooler weather and I do plan to switch to amsoil 10w40 once it cools off here.

As far as oil life goes he said that when using an amsoil oil filter we can run 8000 miles per oil/filter change. If not using an amsoil filter simply change the filter at 4000 miles and top off the oil. I plan to do this since I'm not currently running an amsoil filter.

I hope this helps. I can forward you the PM that Bob from amsoil sent me if you would like to read it for your self. Just let me know.

Would the added life expectancy of the oil filter for your 950 be due to the amsoil filter has a synthetic element material? How does one find the amsoil filter for a particular bike? I have an '09 Stratoliner and am interested in using the synthetic element filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would the added life expectancy of the oil filter for your 950 be due to the amsoil filter has a synthetic element material? How does one find the amsoil filter for a particular bike? I have an '09 Stratoliner and am interested in using the synthetic element filters.
I do not know what the composition of materials used is in the amsoil oil filter. I would assume that it is made with synthetic materials because their oil synthetic.

I just sent Bob from amsoil a PM. He responded with all the information. I am sure he would be happy to help you strato.

Corsair, I will post the PM amsoil sent me once I get back to my 'puter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, I thought the PM from Bob at amsoil contained more information. It didnt. Its just pricing for some oil shipped to me. I asked him the questions in another thread. Its in the Oil and Lubrication section and its the thread labeled "Star 950 oil question"

·
Super Moderator
13,116 Posts
realized that i never posted my response. so from waaaaay, back, i called Bob and he was really helpful in explaining the oil and filter. he said that the 10w40 would be fine for my bike as well for where i ride and live.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
You must be looking at a Retailer such as Canadian Tire.

You can pay whatever they feel like that day or call us and let us help show you how to buy at their cost.
Well it's been a while and I'm due for another oil change. Please tell me how to get it at their cost. 100 buck an oil change is getting hard on my pocket book. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will become an Amsoil dealer when I get back to florida. I have used it in my vehicles since 1977 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Yes, the oil cost more, but at the same time, it saves you loads of money. What you pay for Amsoil is about twice what you pay for normal/non-synthetic oil, but you do not change it as often so your saving money. In my truck, I normally would change the oil every 4k miles. With Amsoil, I change the filter at 8k and the oil and filter at 16k. Do the math. Better fuel mileage, protection on start up and the list goes on and on. I never thought I could be a dealer/jobber until I went by a dealers home to pick up a quart since I will be heading back to florida in a few days and needed to change the filter. He told me traveling was the ideal situation for a dealer, since you don't need to keep an inventory. Will get back in here after the first of october and let everyone know what I learn, since there is a informational course to read to learn all the in's and out's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts