21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
You realize he's just a reseller...? He's not actually employed by Amsoil.

With that said. $20/yr gets you "Preferred Customer" pricing which is like 25% less than retail. I bought a gallon of 10w40 for roughly $36 w/tax

Their Canadian distribution is in Edmonton.
You realize that their is Absolutely NO WAY to buy direct from AMSOIL and NO Employees are allowed to sell Product. ALL sales go through a Dealer! Whether the State of Texas, Virginia, Volvo or Even Racing Teams, EVERYTHING goes through a Dealer.

With that said. I sell at "Preferred Customer"/Dealer cost without you paying to be a Preferred Customer which is $20 in the US and $30 for Canadian.

Also. Warehouses are in Edmonton and just outside Toronto.

You cannot buy AMSOIL from any legitimate place for less than I sell it for.

Not only that, you have to spend about $100 just to break even for the $20 you paid before you start to accrue any savings.

In Canada, I do have to set people up as a Preferred Customer due to taxes and Rate of Exchange. I will pay for the initial 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
just made my 4th annual call to Bob for my oil and filter. i couldn't remember which weight i use but he knew i should get the 10W40 for my bike. and then i came on here and realized that's what i've been getting for years now. so he was right on top of it. Thanks, Bob.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
just called in to Bob again to place my oil/filter order.
when i replaced my clutch friction plates last summer due to slippage, i just replaced my amsoil oil with valvoline because that's what was readily available. on the toll road today, i started having clutch slippage again around 95mph and continued until i got back around 85mph. after stopping for a few hours, i continued back on the toll road and didn't have any slippage as i kept the needle around 90mph or under, but it got me thinking if i have another problem with my clutch or if it is just the end of life for that particular oil. we'll find out after this next change if it was the oil or if i do have another issue with my clutch (though currently not really an issue if it doesn't present itself unless i'm going nearly 100mph). i'll post an update...

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Dad is the first AMZ/OIL dealer in WA State so I have been using their products since the early 70's. The SevereGear is a great product I just added it to my 03 1100 V Star along with the 10-40 Metric engine oil. I even used their Synthetic brake fluid.

I took the bike for a hour spin afterwards and at the end of my ride I "got on it" and thought it felt more responsive. I was not even thinking about the oil change, it just hit me.

I ride in 70-120 degree weather, the 10-40 will be the only oil I use.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
i called up Bob on Friday for my annual oil and filter purchase. the package was on my doorstep today after work. best oil in the world at a reasonable price with such speedy delivery at just a friendly phone call away. can't beat it. be sure to mention you're from the starbikeforums when you call.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have been thinking of switching to syn in the bike. Can you point me to a site that is not sponsored by Amsoil or Mobil1 or Castrol..etc etc that ran independent testing on how they each performed? I am not knocking any of them, I am a synthetic fan in my cages. I have run Mobil1 for years in them with no issues. All the Synthetics claim an extended oil change life. I go 5k miles instead of 3k with them. I am not sure about the 8k or16k claims made. Working in a shop I have seen the results of going 10k oil changes and it was not pretty. I am not knocking any of the oils. I just like to research things, and have not had good luck finding a site not sponsored by one of the oils with testing. Of course each one that is sponsored by whoever always had the best oil. ALSO, with this super extended oil change, if I show I used Amsoil in my wifes bike and changed the filter in the middle of everything will her warranty stay valid?

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
AMSOIL vs Mobil 1 - Reno Synthetics

the site claims that testing was done in an independent laboratory.

different motor oil can affect the performance and lifespan of an engine. something catastrophic would have to happen if you or an insurance company or manufacturer is questioning something covered under warranty. and unless you just stopped putting in oil altogether, i don't think anybody would be able to say the brand of oil and its directed use would void the warranty or have anything to do with whatever the issue was. still, i think the only kind of answer you're going to receive to that question is an opinionated one no matter who you ask.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The problem with amsoil is you have to pay to become an independent dealer or know one. Some service stations have displays set up with a few of their products but usually basic oil and fuel additives.
I don't like waiting. When I have something to do, i want it done. My time is valuable.
If amsoil wants to sell product, they need to dump the independent distributor format and partner up with cycle shops and auto parts stores.
Its like they do not want to sell product unless you know or join their elite club.
I don't support that.
Till then, I will continue purchasing my synthetics, conventional oils, gear fluids and greases at wally world and save a ton of money.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bevo, I asked them a few similar questions about amsoil 20w50 in my star 950. Bob from amsoil told the that when using a premium synthetic that 10w40 is all that is needed for any weather. He told me that the 20w50 would not hurt my bike considering how hot is has been in Houston. He said to make sure I warm the bike up before riding using 20w50.

The owners manual suggests a 10w40 for cooler weather and I do plan to switch to amsoil 10w40 once it cools off here.

As far as oil life goes he said that when using an amsoil oil filter we can run 8000 miles per oil/filter change. If not using an amsoil filter simply change the filter at 4000 miles and top off the oil. I plan to do this since I'm not currently running an amsoil filter.

I hope this helps. I can forward you the PM that Bob from amsoil sent me if you would like to read it for your self. Just let me know.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I don't use Amsoil and instead use Redline oils in all my vehicles. I was a little surprised Amsoil is blindly saying to run an 8,000 mile oil change interval without first running a couple of used oil samples to get a baseline on the oil to see how the active ingredients are holding up that neutralize the acids that form in the oil.

I run Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in hot and muggy Southwest Florida with zero problems, I also have multiple Blackstone used oil reports on the Redline oil. According to Blackstone I could go to 6,000 mile oil changes due to the very good active ingredients still registering high when the used oil was tested. I have no doubt that the Redline or any other good synthetic oil could survive 8,000 mile oil changes but it would be very prudent to send a couple of change samples to a lab like Blackstone to get a baseline on the oil.

Better to err on the side of caution than to just jump into the deep end of the pool without knowing what is in there. Get a couple of used oil samples sent to the lab of your choice and they will tell you if it is good to go farther on mileage before changing the oil.

Here is a copy of my last report I sent in and what Blackstone said about the oil and the wear numbers from the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
I do not know what the composition of materials used is in the amsoil oil filter. I would assume that it is made with synthetic materials because their oil synthetic.

I just sent Bob from amsoil a PM. He responded with all the information. I am sure he would be happy to help you strato.

Corsair, I will post the PM amsoil sent me once I get back to my 'puter.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
The amsoil oil filter is made identical to the Royal Purple oil filters, I have seen cut outs of the filters and they are the same made by the same manufacture. Either filter is a good filter offering the top of the line performance and yes they are synthetic media. I personally use the Royal Purple oil filters because I can buy them at pep boys.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts