Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Hello Vstar 2014 leaking fuel

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  KCW 
#1 ·
New to forum and I couldntfigure out how to post in correct forum. I got a 2014 1300 vstar that is leaking fuel through overflow tube while sitting in hot weather. Whats the problem?

#2 ·
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. You need to post here before you can post in the other forums. I'm afraid I can't help as I have an 1100, but you should be able to post the appropriate forum now. Someone will have an answer, I'm sure of it. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here. Love to see a pic of your ride when you get a chance!

#5 ·
#6 ·
New to forum and I couldnt figure out how to post in correct forum. I got a 2014 1300 vstar that is leaking fuel through overflow tube while sitting in hot weather. Whats the problem?
Welcome from Oklahoma, Native America!

I've come to accept this issue as a normal hot-weather condition, my 2008 1300 does it regularly if I overfill. I've never had it leak enough that it affected my fuel mileage; I just get an annoying gas odor and a small spot on the concrete from time to time. What I think is happening is that, especially after a fresh fill-up, the gas and vapor expands in the tank and pushes gas out the tube. It doesn't help that the vent tube is on the left side of the bike, as the bike leans left on the stand and the gas all runs to that side, exacerbating the problem. If you're in the habit of topping off you might just let it automatically shut off and call it good.

If it's more than just a little bit of gas, try cleaning your tank vent with carb cleaner - if the vent is plugged you'll have pressure build up.

Or maybe she's just crying gassy tears because you're not riding her enough....:crying:

Stay safe, Frank

#7 ·
Its not affecting my mpg as i avg around 43. I do tend to top off my tank though. Should i just spray the carb cleaner directly in the top of of the overflow tube to clean it?It looks like it has some sort of filter about half way down sitting on top of the radiator.

#8 ·
Probably won't do any good to clean the overflow tube, but cleaning the tank vent might. On my V-Star the vent is an orange rubber or silicone nipple at the base of the hinge under the gas cap (may not be configured the same on a Raider). I just sprayed carb cleaner in and around the nipple to make sure it was flushed out completely. The plastic hose that comes with the can is just the right size to fit down inside that nipple.

Hope this helps, and safe riding!

Frank

#10 ·
My guess would just be the gas is doing what gas does when it gets hot, and creates more vapor.
Then it's condensing in the overflow hose back into a liquid.

Not sure how the vent would apply, as the vent is meant to allow air into the tank, as you drain it. Though I do wonder how the overflow is setup, probably is at the bottom of the tank and runs to the top, and the vapor pressure is pushing it out, not much you can do about that, if that is how it's made.

#12 ·
Patrickdk is precisely right, the vent should have nothing to do with the pressure build up - it is designed to allow air in to the tank so that fuel can flow unrestricted into the subtank and fuel pump. I should have thought that response through a little better!

He's spot on with his post.

Happy riding!

#11 ·
I cant think of any reason to have an overflow tube on the gas tank

neither of my bikes has one

there are overflow tubes on the carbs, but the bike in question here is fuel injected.

#13 ·
I would have to look somehow, I have seen overflows on efi bikes before, now that I'm thinking of it, I think those are mostly around the gas cap seating area, incase gas gets up around the cap, to drain it, instead of spilling down around the tank. And atleast my vstar 950 doesn't have any of that going on atleast.

#14 ·
Ok,so the bike has 2 drainage tubes. One located inside the tank and another around the gas cap like you are talking about.The fuel is leaking from the tube that is located inside the tank. From what Ive gathered from everyones input is it probably normal due to expansion due to heat.

#15 ·
Since investigating my problem i noticed rust around the overflow around the gas cap seating area. I dont like the design of the fuel door at all, it isnt waterproof so to speak. Its design allows water to enter around the fuel cap and the water exits out of the overflow. Is there any aftermarket fuel cap assy out there?

#16 ·
Maybe you do have a california bike - someone bought it in CA and moved to your state and sold it. If you bought it new, maybe the dealer got a good deal on an unsold bike from a california dealer.

They are the only ones that have the vapor capture junk on the gas tank, that keeps it from venting fuel vapors. Everyone else just has a vent in the gas cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.