Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is shawn and i just recently purchased a 2001 yamaha vstar 650 classic this is my first vstar but iv rode this bike a ton a family member of mine owned it and decided to not adjust the valves and let a valve drop so i bought her for 400 bucks gonna start tearing into her and make it my winter project figured id join a forum and start reading on what im getting into thanks for making these i use these alot with my project car

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Well Shawn, first off, welcome to the forum and for the pic of your winter project. There's a lot of 650 members here and they're all willing to help. Keep us updated on your progress and we're glad you joined us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Welcome from Canada Shawn. Sounds like you have a bit of a project but that's a nice looking bike. Hope you can get her back in shape for spring.

·
"Loose Nut"
4,650 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Please post your progress as if you hit a hurdle I'm sure many here will chime in with experienced help.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
$400 is a good deal for you.

How far was the bike ridden with no valve adjustments before a valve failed?

the new bike 400 mile adjustment is the most important, and maybe again at 4000 miles, but after that they dont change much for many many miles.

Did the bike have any other mods? If someone modified the intake and exhaust and did not change the jets to match, then running the bike lean will also burn your exhaust valves.

EDIT: I see in your photo the bike does have an aftermarket exhaust, so running lean could be the cause of the valve failure, or running so rich the valve carbon built up to where they would no longer seat properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts