Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Lots of great info here. There are many I would call SME..Subject Matter Experts. They will help get you and keep you on the road safely and quickly. If you like humor there are threads for that. If you are looking for something spiritual there are threads for that. Snoop around and enjoy!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all and Stratsurvivor, what part of Maryland? I would like to find what local ride routes other bikers frequent. I need to get some seat time in before making a longer trip in the late spring. Doing a few mods through the winter in prep for it and need to get a high speed head buffeting thing figured out hopefully before that trip.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You can check buffeting by feeling for air coming up around the gas tank is where i believe you are getting it from. If so a set lowers will reduce that. On my vtx i could hold my hand at my chest and it would block it. You can also adjust your windshield to help minimize. You should be able to just see over the windshield for proper fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, been researching it for a few weeks. Did put a set of Memphis Shade Fork Deflectors on already. Seemed to help some. Watching a few other threads where guys have already tried 3 or 4 different height windshields, need to follow up with them some more. Thinking about ordering a windshield vent from online and trying that install this winter. Waiting to hear if others have tried that and what feed back they may have to offer.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I had to put fork deflectors on my 650 to stop the head buffeting from the windshield at 65+ mph

the position that works the best for me is with the fork deflectors looking as much as possible as an extension of the windshield downward, matching the angle an curve of the bottom of the windshield, and being as close as possible

best way I can justify that, its taking the air all the way from the bottom of the fork deflectors and pushing it up across the windshield, where it has enough momentum and laminar flow to come off the top of the windshield and clear the top of your helmet.

BTW, if you cant get the buffeting fixed do not ride like that - you are literally giving yourself a mild concussion from your brain hitting the inside of your skull: instant headache, blurred vision, fatigue - its dangerous to ride that way - you are better off taking the windshield off the bike (and the deflectors) and riding thru the steady wind blast across your helmet, than to be subjected to that violent vibration on your brain

or tuck down / lean forward till it stops

or stay on secondary roads below 60mph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts