Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I was a long time rider down in California on a Yamaha Virago. Decided to sell the bike and moved to Oregon thinking it's a rainy state and wouldn't get a bike again. Gas prices being what they are, after 8 years I decided to get a bike again. After looking around I fell in love with the Vstar. Picked up a 2007 650 Vstar Silverado.

Sadly, the bike is already in the shop. Ended up having to ride in the rain and came up to a stoplight that turned yellow. I should have blown through it but I grabbed the brakes and locked up the rear. Ass end slid out to the right and when it finally grabbed on the pavement it launched me and the bike hit the right side hard and slid maybe 5-6 Ft. Only minor roadrash on my leg as I hadn't bought the riding pants yet. But my riding jacket saved my right arm and elbow. So, I havent even made a payment on my new bike and it's in the shop for a couple weeks.

Moral of the story I suppose is take your time to get used to riding again. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Brc

Ryan, sounds a lot like my story...except I didn't do much riding until I took the Basic Riders Course. One of the best things they taught were quick stops and swerve techniques. In fact here in Maryland the quick stop is part of the road test.

Glad to hear that you made it out safe but sorry to hear the bike didn't. A guy I took the BRC with had just bought a brand new 2011 Harley 883 Iron and he had never ridden before. I chuckled and told him that I would never buy a really nice bike as my first bike because I was scared I would eventually lay it down.

With all that said, welcome, ride safe, and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to hear about you off :eek: but it sounds like you will soon have your bike back on the road :)
Just take it easy for a short while and you will soon get get used how it handles.

Welcom to the forums.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as it turns out, when my bike went down it hit the handle bars very hard. It ended up damaging the handle bar stop. Due to this, the insurance company would not fix it because apparently the frame needs to be replaced to fix this. Sadly, I had no choice in the matter and they 'totalled' the bike. Thankfully, they were very generous and I actually came out a bit ahead. I used the extra money on a bigger bike. I now have a 2002 1100 Vstar Silverado. What an amazing difference from the 650!

I am back on the road, a little wiser I suppose. Much more cautious for sure. :D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
That is very possible, even that shade of blue runs too fast for Springer. That must be why Springer now rides that big red (he likes to call it blackcherry) kill switch with two wheels.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
That is very possible, even that shade of blue runs too fast for Springer. That must be why Springer now rides that big red (he likes to call it blackcherry) kill switch with two wheels.
Even with the kill switch engaged it will outrun anything blue...:D

Hey Wart, I'm sure that's actually Springer's bike and he's trying to pass it off as Farmall's.
Say again? You dropped sync...:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard ryanb sorry to here about the old new bike but looks like you came out with the new new bike. Main thing you came out ok, bikes can be replaced as you know. Lots of good people here with lots of info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts