Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Just joined this forum as a way to learn more about my bike & share info. I ride a 1999 V Star 650 Classic. I'm the 2nd owner, purchased it back in 2000 with about ~600 miles on it when i traded in my rice rocket.

Original owner replaced the exhaust w/ straight pipes & added a small wind screen. Bike ran poorly, was embarrassingly loud, & would backfire whenever you backed off on the throttle as there was no no back pressure.

I tossed the windscreen & purchased a set of baffles from a parts catalog. Of course, the OD had to be slightly turned down to fit the pipes so I skim cut them on the lathe at work until they slipped in. Ran much better and eliminated 99% of the backfires. Decibel level down to a pleasant (and legal) level but still sounds "aggressive". Added saddle bags too.

After that, I stripped the body work off as the original factory black paint was poor in my opinion. My brother (who works auto body) repainted with a custom-mixed maroon red topped with some blue pearl.

The bike was that way for many years & trouble free. About 3 years ago, decided to repaint again - this time I chose medium metallic blue from a 2005 Mazda 5. Also added heated hand grips and highway bars. Hand grips are awesome as I love to ride on long cool fall foliage tours. Learned the hard way to wire then in using the 5 amp keyed/fused circuit for the horn, not hardwired to the battery.

What really brought me here is my search for info on my rear axel. Picked up 3 (unbelievably) roofing nails in the rear tire at end of last season. Made it home safely & wasn't too upset as the rear was well worn & in need to replacing anyway. Fast forward to today...

Purchased new tire, pulled the rear wheel off, and took to local deal to mount & balance. Dealer cals back & says they can do the job as the hub is cracked on left (final drive) side. Sure enough it had a small crack when I picked it up.

Cost of new parts was ridiculous so I searched the net & purchased a whole replacement rear wheel from a salvage yard in NH. Opened the box to find it was in perfect condition - true, dent free, good bearings - chrome only need little polish. I was happy... Took new wheel & tire to different dealer (yamaha authorized this time) & got it mounted & balanced.

Now the dilemma - I can't reinstall it as the width of the wheel hub or distance between the bearings seems smaller than the original wheel. I can slip the final drive into position, get the whole assembly back on the bike, alignment between the face of the drive mechanism & wheel hub is fairly good (didn't check w/ feeler gages), tighten the 4 bolts to mount the final drive to the swing arm, but the axle bolt will just crush the drive into the wheel hub causing the wheel t seize up long before any real torque can be applied.

Hopefully someone can help this poor new forum member. I've only ride 52 miles all year...

Zanderk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone out there has more info, my situation seems to be exactly like the post titled "VSTAR 650 Custom Rear Axel Bolt Torquing?" posted by Jon_Ov_Long _Hair on 4/28/2015... I searched the V Star section & his descriptions & photos are exactly like what I'm experiencing.

Someone replied & said to look up the parts diagram & check the spacers. I did that & see a spacer (shown as part 2 on the diagram I looked at) that runs through the wheel hub. Is this the part?

I see how the length of the spacer between the bearings on my original wheel could potentially be longer than the spacer inside my replacement wheel & that could be a source of my issue.

Anyone with more info, please help! I'm itching to fix this issue & get the bike back on the road.

Zanderk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Texas -

This forum is great place for info from what I'm finding. Good feedback to my other post on the V Star section regarding my issue with the rear axel. Haven't solved the issue yet but hopefully my persistence & the aid of folks here, I'll get back on the road soon!

I'm update NY, a few miles outside of Albany. I should have mentioned that in my original introduction I guess. Might be helpful in finding other V Star owners near me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts