Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wanted to say hello! I'm new to street bikes, but have been riding dirt bikes for a few years. Being that my mind and my back couldn't agree on my real age, I opted for a "smoother" ride. I recently purchased a 2006 V-Star 650 classic Silverado. Big jump from the ttr-125 I was riding on the trails, but I've been having a great time riding it and learning to maintain it! Glad to join this group and hope to learn a lot more about street bikes/riding.

P.S. I originally posted my intro in the wrong spot. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to highjack that thread!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mom. So the bod is telling you that motocross is for kids eh. I know the feeling all to well. I'm 26 with 30 years of experience at it ;). You'll love the 650. It's a great machine that loves the road and will bring you a smile or two. The only down side is that you most probably will catch CCitiss fairly fast. We have a few members here that need to see pics, we call them pic whores eh :D. So could you post some of yours? We promise we won't get too exited, much, a bit....

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome Mom, from southwestern PA. Yea, I'm one a the pic whores so please post some up when ya can. Time catches up to all of us sooner or later, especially when we beat ourselves up along the way. Congrats and good luck with yer new ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome! Hopefully the pics will post (for those who asked). Haven't done anything to the bike other than cut the windshield down, and an oil change. I bought some reflective rim tape, just haven't put it on yet; new brake pads next weekend. The "Eklipes" add-on up front...can anyone tell me what this is for? GPS? Radio? Phone charger? I was hoping it might be a different way to plug in the battery tender, cuz I'm already tired of taking the battery cover off/on frequently.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get a battery tender jr. You can wire it permanently to your battery and leave the weather protected quick connect cable hanging outside the bike just under the seat area. I have mine hooked under the passenger peg to not interfere with anything and after a days riding I just connect it to the charger. 2 seconds and done. Have done this with every bike I've owned and works like a charm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BKnight, I have the Battery Tender Plus...it should work the same way, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Didnt know it was a crime to ask to see a bike. Wont happen again Corsair, sorry.
Vstar2001, no disrespect meant man it was just a joke about us liking to see the other members bike. Check out some ofthe older post o here and you'll see a few references to this effect.

Ride safe and keep, it shiny side up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
BKnight, I have the Battery Tender Plus...it should work the same way, right?

Yes that's correct. There should be a harness that came with it that has a quick connect on the end. Just hard wire that to the positive and negative battery terminals and position the quick connect somewhere on the exterior of the bike that's easy to get to and not in your way. Then when you've finished riding just plug it in to the corresponding connection on the battery tender plus.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bike came already wired with that quick connect...it just currently folds up and is behind the battery cover, so I always have to unscrew and remove, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure where to place the cord where it won't flap around against the bike. Thanks for the tips, I'll look at it again. I was really hoping there was a cigarette lighter type plug for the battery tender so I could use the Eclipse port (see my original post/pics), but I've been unsuccessful in finding anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Mom,

Welcome from Durango, Colorado! Washington is a beautiful state. Have been in Spokane area and rode southern part of the Pacific coast. Hope to ride the Cascades and middle part of the state someday. Nice ride ya got there, Be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, and thanks RockyMtn.Star! We've had some pretty awesome (unseasonably so) dry warm weather here this past week! I definitely need a lighter weight jacket!! (Never thought I'd be saying that!)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My bike came already wired with that quick connect...it just currently folds up and is behind the battery cover, so I always have to unscrew and remove, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure where to place the cord where it won't flap around against the bike. Thanks for the tips, I'll look at it again. I was really hoping there was a cigarette lighter type plug for the battery tender so I could use the Eclipse port (see my original post/pics), but I've been unsuccessful in finding anything.

I ran mine between the frame and the seat and secured to the frame using a plastic zip tie so it doesn't move when the bike is in motion. Then just remove the protective cover and plug in to the tender. Never seen a battery charger with a cigarette lighter attachment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran mine between the frame and the seat and secured to the frame using a plastic zip tie so it doesn't move when the bike is in motion. Then just remove the protective cover and plug in to the tender. Never seen a battery charger with a cigarette lighter attachment.

Pic? Pretty please!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts