Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this question yesterday, but must have done something wrong, because I can't find it now.

I just got my first bike, now needing a helmet. I've always wanted a spider-man themed bike, helmet and jacket. So starting off with the helmet.

I found the HJC RPHA 11 Pro helmet, and seems to meet the look I'm wanting, and at a price I can afford. But I've been reading things about it, saying it is more appropriate to a crotch rocket style tucked position and not a cruiser upright style of riding.

Is there anything about this helmet that would make it not appropriate for wearing on my V-star? Any reason to not get this helmet?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have that same helmet with the boba fett paint job. It's my third RPHA helmet and it's HJC's top of the line racing helmet (I wear mine on the track too). there is nothing functionally that makes a racing helmet less appropriate for a cruiser other than the look of it. I will say a full face helmet is designed to be used in a tuck so you may experience buffeting under the chin while sitting upright, but that depends on whether or not you are riding with a fairing.

I will say it's not the quietest helmet I've owned or the lightest, but it does the job at a fair price without being a "cheap" helmet. I've seen those on closeout and thought they were a great deal for HJC's top of the line helmet.

Besides, my girlfriend likes my face and would like to keep it as is.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I have one of the early RPHA helmets, the ones with the plastic R on the forehead (that pealed right off).

I love it, If you are riding behind a windshield at highway speeds any 'sport' aspect of its design wont matter.

I got mine from motorcyclegear.com for $120 new (old stock by a couple years). I have not seen them that cheap since, but its good to check. They usually dont have all the sizes, but if they do you can save a couple hundred bucks.

The best part of the RPHA helmets is they are carbon fiber composite, and are at least 1 lb lighter then a fiber glass helmet.

If you wear glasses make sure you get one with the channels cut out (it will say eyeglass compatible on the HJC website for that model helmet), otherwise you will have to modify the foam pads to be able to squish your glasses onto your face.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Can anyone comment on sizing? I've not been able to try these on, because no store within 75 miles stocks them.

My head measures 22.5" which puts me at the upper end of a Medium according to HJC's sizing chart for this helmet. But every other helmet I have tried on, I either need a Lg or XL. This will be my first helmet and I'm leary about ordering online without being able to try it on first.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I used the sizing chart for the HJC helmets at the motorcyclegear website, and got a good fit.

You measure your skull with a tape measure and pick the helmet size with the range that matches that. If you are at the edge of the size range, then one will feel tighter than the next size up.

When people buy helmets in a MC shop they tend to buy ones that are too big, esp a full face helmet. Pulling it on your head should be... well.. stressful, and when its strapped on it should feel snug.

There are videos online about this - if you can twist it sideways or pull it forward half off your head, its too big. The cheekpads esp tend to feel snug, because there is nothing else that we normally wear that holds your cheek bones like that.

If you put a helmet on your head and it feels comfortable, like a hat, its too big.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Like Diogenes415 said ... wear whatever you want. IMO, something covering your grey matter is better then nothing. That said ...

If you have a shop around you that sells helmets ... Make a visit. Wear one you like for at least 15 minutes to make sure there aren't pressure point that will make the ride yucky.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I checked a couple shops in my area - they all carry the low price HJC helmets, but not the ~$300 retail RPHA carbon ones.

They sell Shoei and ... I want to say Arai, but not RPHAs.

I got all my original gear 5 years ago from a local bike dealer. Sales guy helped me pick out jacket, gloves, helmet, and I went back for boots. Bought everything from him the first time.

Since then my boots have worn through on the bottom on the left boot, and I have bought the same boots online (local shop stopped selling them?! ) and gotten a couple different pairs of gloves from other places.

I took a chance replacing my original HJC modular helmet with the RPHA from an online shop. I would never get a deal like that from a local MC shop - but I would feel bad trying on helmets from a local guy, then buying it online.

I really do appreciate having a local MC shop where I can get my bike inspected, tires mounted on my wheels, maintenance parts when I need them in a fix, and I don't mind paying them more for the convenience. But I'm not paying hundreds of dollars more for something I can get online.

One example: the local dealer only had $240 "high performance" batteries for my 650. I got a standard glass mat MC battery online for $25 with free shipping - 3 years ago, no issues.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have an hjc treague. I purchased it for price, protection and comfort. Also has vents on the top and chin. I have a mirrored shield and works great in bright sun.
Never had anyone say its not a cruiser helmet or anything negative about it.
Actually got a few compliments on how it looks.
I got the black and blue because it matches my cold weather jacket and my leather jacket when its warmer.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know quite a few guys that ride HD dressed up baggers and streetglides that only ride with full face helmuts.. If they notice that your wearing it.. than they saw you.. that's a good thing :)

I once grabbed the cheapest dollar store clear safety glasses in a pinch when somehow i for got to pack them in my bike on a long day of riding and I didn't care cuz I'm riding and there looking at me enjoying myself :)

Get what you want and be you Spider. The nice thing about Riding and helmuts..the silence of opinions :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know quite a few guys that ride HD dressed up baggers and streetglides that only ride with full face helmuts.. If they notice that your wearing it.. than they saw you.. that's a good thing /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I once grabbed the cheapest dollar store clear safety glasses in a pinch when somehow i for got to pack them in my bike on a long day of riding and I didn't care cuz I'm riding and there looking at me enjoying myself /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Get what you want and be you Spider. The nice thing about Riding and helmuts..the silence of opinions /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Yep I always wear full face no matter what I ride.
Glad I did end of summer / last fall because the bugs here get thick in places.
If I didn't have full face helmet, I would have had a face full of bugs!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I checked a couple shops in my area - they all carry the low price HJC helmets, but not the ~$300 retail RPHA carbon ones.
All HJC's are generally the same shape, try one whatever they have(Full Face) and the RPHA will fit similar. Or use that lid picker thing i linked earlier, i think they let you return if if the lidpicker says it will fit and it doesn't. (double-check me on that).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All HJC's are generally the same shape, try one whatever they have(Full Face) and the RPHA will fit similar.
I used the sizing chart for the HJC helmets at the motorcyclegear website, and got a good fit.
HJC has a couple of different sizing charts. According to their generic chart I'm at the lower end of a Medium. According to their RPHA chart I'm at the upper end of a medium. According to their CL-17 chart, I'm a small. I say that because I'm borrowing an older CL-15 from a Friend, it's a Large and fits perfect. Nothing I've seen from any HJC chart says I should be wearing a Large.

If you have a shop around you that sells helmets ... Make a visit.
I went to my local shop. Tried on helmets for 20-30 minutes. In that time NOBODY came to help me. when I was done, I had a headache and me ears felt like they were going to get ripped off if I tried on one more. Everything I tried on that seemed to fit was either a Lg or XL. But nothing felt like "The One".

I've called every shop in a 70 mile radius, and found the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buy both a M and L and return the one that doesn't fit. Make sure there is no restocking fee where-ever you buy it from. You'll incure some shipping charges, but better than being stuck with a helmet that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Its been a couple years, but I think the chart I used for my RPHA was on the motorcyclegear website, on the same page with the helmet I was buying.

Its very very common for riders to buy helmets that are too large - I see people trying to sell "used once" XXL and XXXL helmets on craigslist - there are maybe 20 people in the USA that would properly fit an XXXL helmet, unless they have a medical condition from birth, but people buy them because the proper sized helmet feels too snug to them.

So take that into consideration - if the charts say you should be wearing a medium full face helmet, and you feel it should be large, you might be going for a loose fit. Also a helmet will loosen up a bit after its been worn - not a lot, not a whole size, but the foam does loosen up after a while.

Also you can get different size cheek pads if it feels like your face is getting squished.

It also depends on body fat index. If you have a ... chubby face, a full face helmet will push your cheeks up and you will look squished in the mirror. If you are all skin and bones, then not so much. Another way to say this: there is no layer of fat between your skull and your hair, which is what you are measuring to get the helmet size from the chart, but there can be a big difference in the amount of body fat on your face.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another thing about the RPHA helmet, is RevZilla and a couple other places say you need to order a size up. So if you wear a Large normally, you should order an XL.

This is so confusing, and there doesn't seem to be any way to try it on first.

I don't understand why shops don't carry this helmet, in any color. It's not like its super high end. There are lots of way more expensive helmets at the shops.

I get what you guys are saying about buying 2 and returning 1, or getting the sizing tool. But I'm spending enough on this helmet and need to scale as much other stuff down as I can. Don't want any waste.

I might just go with the Large, and risk needing to exchange it if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I don't understand why shops don't carry this helmet, in any color. It's not like its super high end. There are lots of way more expensive helmets at the shops...
A B&M establishment has overhead that online shops don't and higher end items mean more profit per unit sold. Also stocking a cheaper helmet that's readily available online means people will use the B&M's helmets as demos to test fit and then order it online. Product disparity may help keep this from happening.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just an FYI Spider... when you get a NEW helmut they are stiff inside as they are supposed to mould to your head shape .. it can take a bit for them to "break in". If it is comfortable when you first put it on than it might not be so good after it breaks in. Trying on someone elses helmut is a start but don't forget it's broken in to there head shape and a "new" helmut of the exact same make and model will be tighter.

When putting on the helmuts.. pull the chin straps away from each other spreading the helmut just ever so much.. helps with the ears and headaches.

Hope this helps. Watch this video !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts