Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my helmet lock moved to a usable position I thought I would check and see if anyone has had a locked helmet taken or have u heard of one being stolen. I can't say I have ever heard of one taken. ???

·
Registered
473 Posts
Never a problem and I just leave it on the seat.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I haven"t heard of one being stolen in my area. I'll probably be the first since I always just drape mine over the sissy bar by the chin strap. Gloves and glasses go in it and away I go. Do as I say not as I do.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It really depends on where you are leaving the bike. I've left the helmet perched on my side mirror and walked away for hours at a time in national parks and country areas but I would never consider leaving it on the bike in view EVEN IF THE LOCK WAS ACCESSIBLE while in San Francisco or San Jose... Not worth the risk of someone taking it or damaging it, especially in a state with helmet laws.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine sits on my mirror or on my foot controls everywhere I go....but its a plain 1/2 shell that not even legal AND I live in the country where people know not to touch a persons bike etc.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
My throwover saddle bags have always interfered with the helmet lock on the bike, so I just hang the helmet on one of the mirrors. I also carry a gun lock with me (usually available for free at a law enforcement office as part of the so-called "Child Safe" program). The gun lock will fit through the chin bar or the strap buckle, and around the handlebar or through one of the holes in the front brake disc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You never know really, it only takes that one A-hole to walk by and grab something off your bike. I used to leave my helmet sitting on my bike but now I just take it in with me where ever I'm going. I started doing this after my dad told me his leather HD jacket was stolen. I put my gloves and glasses in the saddlebag although they don't lock. My helmet lock is behind my bags so I can't use it as well. The gun lock is a very good idea I hadn't thought of. I see bikes all the time with the helmet just sitting there or even sitting on the ground (don't get that one) so most people figure no one will take them. I say why risk it. I do have 3 different helmets but didn't buy a single one with the intent of giving it away for free.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I see bikes all the time with the helmet just sitting there or even sitting on the ground (don't get that one)
It's a carryover from doing the MSF basic riders class... they tell you to leave the helmet on the ground next to the kickstand so it doesn't get knocked off the bike and damage the helmet - technically even dropping it from your hand while standing still can cause micro-fractures which can make the helmet useless in a crash.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've done the deed and moved my helmet lock to an accessible place. Now when I lock it and leave, I hope that nobody will cut the strap and be off with it, or worse yet, spit or urinate into it.

Seriously though, I've never experienced having my helmet messed with when I simply left it on the sissy bar, mirror or on the seat.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's a carryover from doing the MSF basic riders class... they tell you to leave the helmet on the ground next to the kickstand so it doesn't get knocked off the bike and damage the helmet - technically even dropping it from your hand while standing still can cause micro-fractures which can make the helmet useless in a crash.
Not useless. Just less good-er. In that spot. So, just no crashing on that spot.

LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't worry about my helmet. I haven't had one bothered in my 40+ years of riding. There are advantages to living in the sticks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I'm just going in for a minute, I take my helmet with me. If I'm going to go for a longer stop, I run a Python cable lock through my jacket sleeve and the opening in my helmet and lock them to the bike. Of course someone carrying around a pair of 36" bolt cutters, like the guy in the photo, they will get it. Anything will be stolen if someone wants it bad enough and are out prowling to steal.

The guys in the photo were in one of our pits about 10 miles from town and looking to steal fuel. They were on a mission. Most people don't carry bolt cutters routinely.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been leaving over my backrest and putting a gun lock through it to lock it to the backrest. This is done more to keep the helmet from falling off than from theft. I lock my leather pants and coat in the bag locker.
larry

·
Registered
178 Posts
If I'm just going in for a minute, I take my helmet with me. If I'm going to go for a longer stop, I run a Python cable lock through my jacket sleeve and the opening in my helmet and lock them to the bike. Of course someone carrying around a pair of 36" bolt cutters, like the guy in the photo, they will get it. Anything will be stolen if someone wants it bad enough and are out prowling to steal.

The guys in the photo were in one of our pits about 10 miles from town and looking to steal fuel. They were on a mission. Most people don't carry bolt cutters routinely.

Don
Just to make everyone nervous, I've got a nice battery powered cutoff tool, jigsaw and rip saw in my tool set. All of which would make short work of most locks, are small enough to carry in a coat and reasonably inexpensive. If they want it a lock won't really stop anyone. Now on the other hand there isnt much of a market for secondhand helmets so it more likely to dissapear to someone likely young who just wants to be a jerk. Like the old hubcap stealers. In this case they are simply taking advantage of an opportunity. And for the comments of " god help you if you meas with my bike" while I agree with the sentiment I can tell you from experience you aren't likely to ever see the guy that did it. Just an empty space where your stuff was. Finally the real reason I don't leave my helmet out, I hate the thought of it sitting in the sun, getting banged around, getting dusty and fingerprinted or someone dumping their beer (or worse) on something I wear wrapped around my face. That why I have a gear bag. $30 at Cycle gear and it carries my school books or businesses papers, laptop, phone sunglasses gloves even extra shoes and has a nice lined pocket for my helmet. It makes for extra on bike storage too for days when the bags are full. On my back or strapped to the luggage rack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts