Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to wear a helmet that doesn't catch the wind and try to rip my head off. I live in SC and theres no helmet law so I haven't been wearing a helmet for this reason. I would really like to start wearing one if I can find one that doesn't catch the wind like crazy. It is very uncomfortable for me and puts a lot of stress on my neck.

Any recommendations on low profile half or 3/4 helmets that don't catch wind in your experience?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess another related question is how is your bike set up ?? Windshield...Fairing... nothing ??

The helmets your buying or trying.. are you getting them with the lil visors.. i found they always caught the wind..

I have one of these beanies with no visor.. we have helmut laws here but i find this is light weight and comfortable.If your looking for something simple yet comfortable.

https://www.bikerhelmets.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No windshield or fairing. I have tried a few different brands of visorless 3/4 helmets but haven't tried a beanie.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I use a half helmet and tried one that caught the wind so bad the chin strap felt like it was strangling me. But I found one by GMax (GM65S) at the local Harley dealer that has a little visor and works great. It even has a hidden flip down visor for your eyes. With or without the windshield I've never had an issue with it. I believe it was around $100 Canadian.

·
Registered
239 Posts
These are light weight and once they wear into your head i find mine is very comfortable without the weight. I still don't like the visors..They really don't do much anyway like they do on a ball cap. For me this is the lightest way to stay legal and comfortable. There are other brands that make these smaller beanies but that is the one i have cuz he used to have a store local to me :)

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,071 Posts
Daytona Helmets advertise they have the smallest profile DOT skid lids on the market. i've worn 2 of their helmets for the past several years with and without a windshield and i don't get any buffeting or drag. the one on the left is the Daytona and on the right is what i got at the dealer off the shelf.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
try a modular you can ride with it open and if heavy cross winds come up you can close it, the only time my 3/4 gmax tugs is in crosswinds or bucking a headwind and i have a 18 inch windshield, if it's cold or it's going to be a windy day i use my full helmet, i'll be getting a modular, if i can find one thats not too heavy so i won't need two helmets

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
My last four helmets, HJC 33 (3/4), Speed and Strength full face, HJC full face, Speed and Strength Modular. I rotate helmets as I ride daily and they get nasty inside real quick in the Houston heat and humidity. I take out liner and wash, wear another helmet while it dries. I ride with and windshield, about 50/50. No baffling on any of them. Good luck on finding what works for you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My wife and I use Arai Corsair X full face helmets, they fit us well and are comfortable to wear. I like the Arai commitment to quality and safety, I also use Snell certified helmets.

I don't buy into Dexter Ford's whining about Snell standards, Dexter Ford has had an ongoing feud against Snell for a long time. When all is said and done Dexter Ford is nothing more than a writer who thinks he is smarter than those who actually design, build and test helmets.

In Dexter Ford's blowing the lid off propaganda piece the helmet he said was the safest was tested by web bike world and they did not by it, they said that if the helmet is not comfortable it was not going to be worn so what real good would it be?

That was a great point. I will trust Arai and Snell long before I trust a magazine writer about the safety of a helmet.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I picked up Sedici Sistema Modular helmet the other week. I like it. I like having the ability to lift the "face mask" up. It is quieter than I my original helmet. Only downside, it is a little heavier and the peripheral vision is a little less then I'd like. But, still a good helmet.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
I picked up Sedici Sistema Modular helmet the other week. I like it. I like having the ability to lift the "face mask" up. It is quieter than I my original helmet. Only downside, it is a little heavier and the peripheral vision is a little less then I'd like. But, still a good helmet.
Please post update after you get some miles on the new helmet. Pros and cons. Will help others when it's helmet time.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
Maybe a week or so and a few hundred miles. Stop and go with open road. What I've found some helmets are great at low speed and bad at high speed, or the other way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts