Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know and I think you know that this is a common question among newbies to motorcycles but its really important for us.

I have a new bike and so helmet is the second this I should buy and it also required here in NC to wear one. It is also for my safety.

Can you suggest any brand of helmet? Or what style of helmet? I really want helmet that is well-ventilated so the temperature can be stable inside, not too hot and not too cold. So can you suggest any?

Suggestions, opinions and experiences are highly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,915 Posts
helmets are all about personal preference. my best advice is to just go to a motorcycle shop or dealer and look at and try on a few.

there's the half helmet

the 3/4 helmet

and the full face helmet

if you're asking about which helmet is more ventilated, then it sounds like you may be talking about the full face helmet so you might have already decided on this one since the other 2 types are obviously more ventilated. so let us know if you're already leaning towards one or another. above features and ventilation, what's most important is that the helmet is stamped either DOT or SNELL and that it fits well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Every helmet is shaped a little differently. Your best bet is to go to a motorcycle superstore and try on LOTS of different brands. Then go to your local store or online and get a better deal! :D Actually, I see from your other posts that you are in Charlotte. There are a couple of Cyclegear stores in your area and they carry a wide range of helmets. I've been to a number of their stores in multiple states and they have always been awesome to me.

Things to keep in mind when trying on a full face helmet (my personal helmet of choice):

When on the helmet should fit snugly - the foam padding will compress with use/age so it should feel almost too tight initially. It should sit square on your head. If it tilts forward or back it doesn't fit properly. The cheek pads should touch your cheeks without being uncomfortable. There should be no gap between your temples and the brow pads.

Once you have the helmet on and the chin strap done up move the helmet around on your head side to side and up and down. Your skin should move with the helmet. Can you roll the helmet forward off your head? If so then it is too loose. Try a smaller size.

After you take off the helmet are there any sore spots on your head? Is there red spots on your forehead? If so the helmet is either too small or badly shaped for your head.

Once you find a helmet you like, wear it around the store for a while. It needs to be comfortable for relatively long periods of time.

If you have the money I advise getting a Snell endorsed helmet. These helmets have been tested to destruction and are high quality. However there is usually a significantly higher cost factor and only a full face helmet will meet Snell standards (3/4 and half helmets have no chin coverage so automatically fail Snell).

Lastly, if you go to a store to try on helmets and the staff do not seem knowledgeable or get upset or annoyed at you wanting to try lots of different helmets, go somewhere else. You only have one head and it's important to get the best/most comfortable gear you can afford to protect it. Good luck shopping!

·
Registered
621 Posts
M'Lady: first off, +1 for everything you said.

However, that sort of clear, concise and helpful information - completely without sarcasm - is viewed as poor form around here. Consider yourself on notice. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a daytona 3/4 helmet... Supposably the smallest DOT 3/4 around..I believe it. Great ventilation as it's open faced. I like it.

I also have a daytona full face. Great for longer rides...The bugs and rocks to the face really get old after 2 hours :) Also nice for colder days.

·
Registered
794 Posts
However, that sort of clear, concise and helpful information - completely without sarcasm - is viewed as poor form around here. Consider yourself on notice. :D
OH NO!!!!!! A 950 rider is giving me grief!!!! :eek: Guess I'll just blow right past him on the freeway :p Now I have to go microwave a Hot Pocket. I feel like having stomach cramps later :D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
It has been posted on here from at least one other member but:

A full face helmet is your best choice, the others being a fraction (1/2 or 3/4) of your best choice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
OH NO!!!!!! A 950 rider is giving me grief!!!! :eek: Guess I'll just blow right past him on the freeway :p Now I have to go microwave a Hot Pocket. I feel like having stomach cramps later :D
That's more like it. ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's more like it. ;)
I notice that you didn't have the "cc's" (not sure if you can say ba__s on this 4M) to give grief to our SuperMod for being clear, concise and sarcasm free :eek:

Ok. Thread jacking officially over on my end :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
I notice that you didn't have the "cc's" (not sure if you can say ba__s on this 4M) to give grief to our SuperMod for being clear, concise and sarcasm free :eek:
Members of the Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club get considerably more latitude on these matters. :cool:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I know and I think you know that this is a common question among newbies to motorcycles but its really important for us.

I have a new bike and so helmet is the second this I should buy and it also required here in NC to wear one. It is also for my safety.

Can you suggest any brand of helmet? Or what style of helmet? I really want helmet that is well-ventilated so the temperature can be stable inside, not too hot and not too cold. So can you suggest any?

One other option you may want to look at Sarah, are the modular helmets. These are more like a full face but the chin (and the face shield with it) will pivot up and over your head. This is something you can do with a quick pinch and lift with one hand which is perfect at the red light, very nice feature on high and very low temperature days.

Most also have a secondary, and tinted, inner face shield that you can pull down and put back up just as easily. The inner shield is something that can be put up or down independantly from the chin piece.

One of these WILL be my next helmet.

These have come a long way in the last several years,,,when they first came out they were butt ugly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a full face for winter months and 2 half helmets for the summer months. But it really up to you and what you like

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
Helmet advice

Hello Everyone,
I just got my first bike (V Star 250), at the age where I should know better, but what the heck. I need some advice on choosing a helmet. I used a 1/2 and a 3/4 helmet during the safety course and I have a real el-cheapo modular that I'm using until I can decide what I need. I realize that this is the most important piece of safety gear I'll buy, but funds are not unlimited. I live in Tallahassee, where it can get ridiculously hot in the summer, along with sudden downpours. my daily ride will be about 15 minutes each way, through moderate traffic. I have been leaning toward the modular, but the el-cheapo has a shrill whistle when I ride with the visor up. I liked the comfort and vision of the 1/2 helmet, but I feel like it may not have enough protection.
Soooo, .....advice? Brands, type, cost? I can spend probably $100-200 on one, but I really can't afford to make a mistake.
Thanks, and I'll probably have more newbie questions

·
Registered
621 Posts
I still use one, for punching out the top of the can for beer can chicken. mmm, mmm,mmm!
I'm assuming you meant to post that in the "Church Key" thread, but now I'm picturing you in the kitchen with your helmet on, crushing beer cans against your head to try to get the sweet, sweet nectar out. :D

Anyway, as far as helmet advice, the same advice that M'Lady gave earlier applies to you. Go to a good bike shop and try on everything you can get your hands on. If the high end of your budget is $200, you're going to be limited in terms of features you'll be able to get, but you should still be able to find a quality helmet that offers good protection.

Also, never buy a used helmet because you can't be sure of its condition.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oops!

Yeah, I did mean to post that on the church key thread, but your reply makes it worth leaving up! I think I'll try that tonight- my wife already thinks I've taken leave of my senses.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You asked for it. :lol:

If safety is your primary concern, a full face (or the so called 'modular') is the only choice. Everything else is a step or more down.

In the event of an accident, only a full face protects you as much as a helmet can. 1/2's, beanies, 3/4's, all expose your chin. Ask an EMT you may know what tends to happen to the chin in crashes.

In the event of road debris and bugs/birds/bats/cats/rats etc, same thing. 'Stuff' WILL find a path to an unprotected spot. If you have your full face on but, the shield up to get some air, stuff will hit you. And it HURTS. I know guys who have been stunned by bugs and at slower speeds than you may think. Remember, if you're going 40 and he's coming at you, what's a bug fly, 10-20 mph or so?

I got a bee one time right between my cheek and padding while wearing my full face and shield up. Felt like a bb hit me for one and, for two, he wasn't dead. Only stunned. As I figured I'd go the couple miles home before bother to remove what I thought was a dead bug, he woke up.

And stung the crap out of me until I could make a safe stop and get the helmet off. :lol:

I learnted two things; you CAN stand the pain if the other option is worse. I either had to let him sting me until I could make a safe stop or, well, that was all I could do.

The other, I forgot. It has something to do with women and was probably really important.

:D

PS: I wear a 3/4 and wouldn't wear a helmet, most of the time, if it was up to me.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
good story Larry, we all have our favorite road hazzard vs. pretty face stories, mine was getting a dead branch falling from above on a very windy day to hit me square across the shield of my full face helmet,,,would have been the bridge of my nose had I had the 1/2 helmet on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
:D Thanks for the input. Larry it sounds like one of those situations where, to quote Mark Twain, 'You can find relief in nothing but profanity"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts