Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men’s vs Women’s helmets, is there actually any difference? I’m a woman and my current helmet (my first) IS a women’s helmet, but it’s time for a new one and for the life of me, I can’t find a “women’s” helmet that I like (aside from the $1,000 one and that just ain’t happening lol). Can I consider men’s helmets, or is the sizing going to be different? I’m already in a size XS so can’t really size down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
My wife has a nice pink design helmet in a medium. I wear a medium and her helmet fit me just fine. Based on that I believe they are the same.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Except for the color or patterns, I have never seen any markings on a helmet, or on a helmet website, that indicated there are different sizes for men and women.

I think there might be child sizes, but not really sure on that.

I got my newest helmet from motorcyclegear.com they sell out dated and old stock gear and helmets. I got an HJC carbon fiber composite full face helmet for only $120. I have not seen a deal that good anywhere since, but I have seen other carbon helmets for $220, and they also sell old stock Shoei helmets for about half normal retail prices.

Once you have a carbon fiber helmet, there is no going back to fiberglass! It is a full pound lighter than my old helmet, and you can really feel the difference.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My wife has always worn mens helmets.
My daughter also only wears mens helmets.

Both have to due with not wanting the design patterns on the helmet they all the womens marked helmets have.

Bell doesn't offer anything womens that I can find
HJC is the exact same helmet, just in a womens friendly graphics.
Shoei is the exact same helmet

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got my carbon fiber helmet for under $100 from Daytona Helmets. if you only like $1,000 helmets, you must have really refined taste.

No, just really picky about graphics mostly Apparently all women are supposed to love pink or purple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Helmets for women dont need removable padding....

because they dont drool while they are riding...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Women's helmets aren't as heavily padded or comfortable because they have a naturally higher pain threshold than men.
LOL @Diogenes415. This may be true with some clothing, boots, etc., as far as durability and quaility.... But not with helmets of course, silly! - Cute.

I imagine with a size XS, @CoverTune, that you would be able to find some good deals buying a "men's" helmet. And no, I don't believe the sizing charts should be different from men's to women's. The sizing and fit should vary from one company to another. I would think women's heads could tend to be more oval than some men's.

For some reason, I take a small in my Icon Alliance, and a medium in my Bell Vortex and Bell 500 open face. The Icon is supposed to fit more oval shapes, and the Bell fits slightly more rounded. (The Icon is perfectly snug all round. The Bell fits the top of my head alright, but now that it is broken in I have room to squeeze a balaclava under it in cold conditions.) I needed a medium in my Bell 500 open face, because the small was giving too much pressure on my forehead.

I really like Revzilla.com for showing head shape recommendations with each helmet.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
One thing I cannot stress enough: measure your head with a tape measure, decide if your head shape is more oval than round, and at least start with the helmet size recommended by the manufacturers size charts.

MOST people try on helmets at a bike shop and tend to buy one that is one or two sizes too big! Especially for full face helmets they are suppose to be snug, to the point of being hard to put on or take off when they are new.

There are many videos online about this, but the best test is to put the helmet on and then try to twist it left and right. If you can twist the helmet sideways to where its over one eye, or worse hitting your nose, its too big.

The padding does break in from use, so when its new it should be very snug on your head. If its too big, when you need it it will just slide around on your head, or worse yet, it will partly or fully come off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts