Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Stratoliner S

A friend of mine installed new tires for me. He had the bike for a couple of weeks (I was going through Covid so it didn't matter to me.) He works in his yard, which is not covered. He returned the bike to me and noted that the speedometer, etc was not working. You could see water accumulated inside.

I took the panel apart and water flowed out of it soaking my pants. In the process of taking everything apart, I tried to separate the lense hoping to get the water out of there; but I broke it. A new lense arrived yesterday. I tried to install it but first wanted to check the function of the dashboard. It will not function. I found rust on the circuit board and you could see a line where the water sat. I've cleaned up the rust the best I could using a toothbrush, I can only get to 1 side of the circuit board. I've sprayed some WD-40 hoping to remove some rust and displace any water which may remain. Plugging the unit back in and setting the key to on, nothing happens.

I can start the bike but I haven't ridden it. I don't know the location of the fuse(s) for this. Can someone tell me where the fuse is located? Also offer any ideas you may have for getting this to work.

Partzilla shows the assembly that I'm having trouble with, its item #2 and is being listed as unavailable (I thought I had seen it before with a price over $800). Yamaha Motorcycle 2006 OEM Parts Diagram for Meter | Partzilla.com

I can use my GPS as a speedometer but have no idea how to replace all the other functions.

• Sad
Reactions: kje54

Registered
I would say look on eBay, that is one known problem, moisture in the speedo. It probably got toasted putting power to it with water in it.

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Bummer, hopefully @Jaguartech will chime in. I think he has a source that will rebuild.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer, hopefully @Jaguartech will chime in. I think he has a source that will rebuild.
@lesblank I sure hope @Jaguartech can help me out. So far I haven't found it on ebay but there are many, many pages to scroll though. All the sites which show the Yamaha parts listings list this part as unavaiable. One site indicated that the manufacturer has discontinued this part.

Registered
99 Roadie
Speedo is a long out of stock, discontinued part.
I managed to score one left over from a warranty claim, had problems but I managed to sort it out myself.

Call these guys and explain what happened.
DNA speedometers in Tampa 813-875-8226
Leo's speedometer repair in Miami 305-888-2385

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedo is a long out of stock, discontinued part.
I managed to score one left over from a warranty claim, had problems but I managed to sort it out myself.

Call these guys and explain what happened.
DNA speedometers in Tampa 813-875-8226
Leo's speedometer repair in Miami 305-888-2385
Thanks. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to call. Its most likely that they've already closed for the day.

If I'm not sucessfull, does anybody have any ideas on how to replace the functions? I'm thinking accumulated mileage (as in odometer) would be the next most necessary to have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this I would call them and see if they actually have it in stock.

Thanks @Jspree. They replied to my email. They said they had 2 in stock, so I ordered one. I've received a message from them acknowledging the order but no shipping date yet.

Once it arrives, I'm going to need help programing it. I have no idea how to accomplish that, unless instructions come with it, which I doubt. I don't know my exact mileage so I'll have to use a ballpark number.

Buying these parts is cheaper than buying a new bike but between the two I'm around 1/4 of the price I paid for the entire bike. I certainly hope I have no more failures.

Reactions: Jspree
1 - 9 of 9 Posts