Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am looking at purchasing a cycle and I have narrowed it down to two but don't know what way to go. It's either 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S and the other is 2008 VStar 1300 black edition

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Either one would be a great bike. The Road Star has bigger engine, air cooled and a little heavier. More of a cruiser to me, but can double as a two up road bike. The 1300 is water cooled and to me an all around great bike. It could easily be used as a commuter, cruiser, road bike or anything else. To me it's the one you want. If you can find both at maybe a dealer, look them both over really good, start to walk away, now turn around, which one did your eye go to first? That's the one you want. Either one would be a dependable ride. If you are thinking of any modifications down the road it appears the 1300 has better aftermarket support. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Since they both have low mileage let's look at things to consider on a 10 year old bike. How's easily do they start, might need plugs. Tires will probably need to be replaced. Look at date code on sidewall, it's on ever tire, over 5 years old replace.

All fluids will need to be replaced, oil, brake fluid and fork oil. The 1300 will need a coolant change so add that in. Now look under both bikes very good. With age some gaskets will start to weep, see any oil residue? Look at the brake pads, at 10k miles should not be an issue but with 18k on road star if they had not been replaced they are due. Also look in gas tank of both, any signs of rust? When a bike sits any length of time without full tank with stabilizer in gas there might be rust. Stay away from rust. Every spring we have many, and I mean many threads here about bad fuel and contamination in fuel system. Check all switches, (turn, horn, etc,) as with time connections will corrode causing issues. Which one looks best cosmetically? A little rust now will grow it not taken care of. Paint is 10 years old, which looks better? Fork lowers and engine cases are normally quick for finish to start looking aged, which looks better. I know it's a lot to look at and I'm sure I've forgotten something but just trying to help with some know issues that are discussed here a lot. By the way, Consumer Guide says the Vstar line is the most reliable bike. Keep us informed on your decision. If in doubt, flip a coin, you will be happy with either.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
One big difference between the road star and the VS1300: the road star is an "old school" bike, with a single carb, push rods, air cooling. It wont get as many miles per gallon as the water cooled fuel injected over head cam 1300

but

if its well maintained the road star will be incredibly reliable, esp on long road trips: there is no fuel injection system to suddenly quit, no sensors to fail that will leave you stranded, no water pump or coolant to leak.

Not that the VS1300 is prone to failures, its more of a design philosophy thing: an overhead valve timing chain cannot break or skip a tooth if the bike doenst have one (pushrods).

After typing all this I just realized the 2008 road star is fuel injected, so that reduces the differences down to air vs water cooling, and push rods vs a timing chain. I dont remember which year they stopped using the single carb on the road star.

Both bikes will easily put 100k on the odo without ever opening the engine case - and its hard to say that one is better than the other. Yamaha liked to give us lots of options.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
One big difference between the road star and the VS1300: the road star is an "old school" bike, with a single carb, push rods, air cooling. It wont get as many miles per gallon as the water cooled fuel injected over head cam 1300
If I'm not mistaken the 2008 Road Star was fuel injected, first year.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
You’re right Les, 2008 was the first year for FI on the Roadie. I’ve ridden both a Roadie, carbed, and a FI 1300. Both handled very well, the brakes felt a little stronger and had great excelleration on the 1300. The Roadie also ran great and handled well and was very stable. For the open road, I’d give the Roadie the edge as that’s what it was designed for. The 1300 is great on the road and for around town. IMHO you can’t go wrong with either bike. Just look at what you’re going to use it for and ask for any maintenance records. Keep us posted on which bike you choose and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am going to butt in here...just because...I have a 2014 Vstar 1300 and LOVE IT. I had a Kawi 900 and loved it too...I have had my 1300 since june at have put almost 5 K on it...If you are going to ride it a lot...pick the one with the better feel...how does your butt and arms feel in your riding position...what about legs...do your legs feel one way better on the Roadie that the 1300?...seats can be changed...road pegs added...over all which bike "FITS" you....that is your choice.

<now climbing down off of soapbox>

Toymaker

·
Registered
360 Posts
After not having ridden for 20+ years I started out on a Kawasaki Vulcan 750. That was probably not the perfect bike to begin again on because it had a high seat stance. While I was weaving around trying to get my balance back my feet were not flat on the ground while stopped. I never felt comfortable on that bike. One year later I traded to a V Star 1100 Custom. A great bike to continue practicing skills on because it was low to the ground and although a little small for my 6' 2" frame I felt comfortable maneuvering that bike. After a few years on that bike I bought a Yamaha Raider. Perfect fit - still practicing skills. If I have a point it's that you may not stay with the first bike you buy. Get one you feel comfortable on now.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If you are still looking around and leaning towards a water cooled bike, then take a ride on a Royal Star, just to check off all the boxes.

From the left and right side it looks like a small vtwin engine, but its a V4 1300. My 2000 has 4 carbs. Im not sure if they ever went to fuel injection on the base model or tour model Royal Star bikes.

The RPM range is one of the things I love about this bike. It easily hits 55mph before kicking it up into 4th gear, and 5th gear is a 0.75 tall overdrive. On the interstate at 80mph the engine is just puttering along, and the top speed is over 135mph (5 speed). So at 70mph you are just a bit over half the RPM of the rev limiter.

It also has a very unique exhaust note. With the 4 stock factory mufflers, when you get on the throttle it sounds like a small block Chevy V8 with glass packs.

One more bonus: shaft drive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
One more bonus: shaft drive
Every bike I've owned was a shaft drive except my very first a KZ 400 which was a chain. My Raider is belt driven. I'll never go back to a shaft driven bike again. A belt transfers power very efficiently and is QUIET.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
its another design trade off

if a belt is loose it will jump teeth, if its too tight it destroys the bearings in the wheel

nothing can get in a shaft drive while riding (rocks, loose gear on a fender rack...)

and when you take the wheel off and put it back on, there is nothing to adjust.

Halve of one, six dozen of the other....

A shaft drive that is properly lubed with 60% moly will last the life of bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Belt or shaft...went 92000 miles on my bagger with a belt and only swapped it for new because the swingarm was going to be off so 2 birds 1 stone... belt looked like new... matter of fact, the Indy shop owner asked me if he could keep it or did I want it back... He said I will use it down the road for a quick fix...
Just disassembled the v star 1100 rear wheel and was easy, cleaned it up and changed the fluid wich was a bit dirty but other than that, the hardest part was getting the bike balanced on the lift...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for all your help I think I finally chose one. I looked at the road star today and I really like it. I also like the VStar I just like some of the features better on the road star I do like the liquid cooled on the VStar I just worry about possible more maitinance on the VStar than the road star. I choose the road star and going to pay for it tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Very cool, congrats. Please post some pictures after you get it.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
The only thing I regret about buying my Vstar motorcycles

is that I waited till I was 55 to get a street bike and license. I wish I had done this when i was 20.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts