Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

Looking to buy a new helmet (just restarting riding again this year and my current is 10 years old <I know, way too old>). However, I'm circling the drains with reviews, ad promises and the plethora of offerings out there. If you have any comments, what you're using or recommendations, I'd truly appreciate some real world feedback versus a vendors youtube video promising me it "slices, dices and makes julienne potatoes" .

My primary criteria (looking for more/advice and these are in no particular order) are:

0) Must be full face (no modular), and will be used for highway riding/touring
1) Must be designed to handle glasses. My current helmet isn't, and after 3 hours of it pushing my ears against the earpiece I'm hurting
2) Must have a pinlock system. It gets humid here in NC and fogging can be a <female dog>. Willing to buy the pinlock lens separate
3) Would like an included drop down sun visor as I assume most visors are UV blocking as my auto-darken glasses never darken (plus, don't want sunburn)
4) Must have a good certification (DOT, SAE, whomever is good)
5) Must support the installation of a good bluetooth system. At this time, not sure I'd be doing a lot of team riding, but would like it for the future (sena/cardo)
6) Preferably come in a solid red (metal flake is a bonus)
7) Having a skirt or some sort of technology to reduce noise. If not in the helmet, what do you do to reduce the wind noise?

I've put aside $1K for the helmet and bluetooth system, I'm android by the way), but wouldn't mind saving money <grin>

My thanks,
Bob

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Reaction score
Head shapes are different and thus one person loves a helmet and another hates it.
Your best bet is to go to local bike shops and try out different helmets and which ones feel best to you.
Frankly there is no big difference between a $200 helmet and a $800.00 helmet. There are small differences but nothing major

Reactions: Brad_G

· Registered
99 Posts
Reaction score
Good post, and I will watch for replies to your question. I have had an icon helmet for about 12 years now and just got into the cruiser life so will be searching for a new helmet as well.

Out of style, I find the full race helmets out of place on cruisers, however will search for a full face helmet. I love the look of the Simpson helmets, but they lack so many features I want. Rubric looked good, but the reviews I have seen fall short. Most importantly they get a lot of feedback about being loud.

In my late 30’s now and already wear hearing aids. Shooting, music and motor sports are hard on your ears. Even with good protection. I want an internal sun visor, Bluetooth ready, closable vents, and good fit. Bit most importantly, the quietest damn helmet I can find. That’s the one feature I can’t overlook. I have custom ear plugs which I may have to wear on long rides, especially with my new straight pipes. But I am hopeful to find something, or perhaps put my stock pipes on for long trips.

I don’t mind investing a good helmet, but I don’t think a fella should have to spend $1000 to get good head protection with all the features he wants.

· Premium Member
2011 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom modified
37 Posts
Reaction score
I work for cycle gear, they have several options in which you can go in and try out. Bilt would be the cheapest, sedici is a huge step up for about 250-300 mark. If your going for max comfort then I would recommend an Arai Regent X. They run about 580 without a graphic, 5 year warranty. I haven’t had a single complaint on a regent x yet.
To all,

Looking to buy a new helmet (just restarting riding again this year and my current is 10 years old <I know, way too old>). However, I'm circling the drains with reviews, ad promises and the plethora of offerings out there. If you have any comments, what you're using or recommendations, I'd truly appreciate some real world feedback versus a vendors youtube video promising me it "slices, dices and makes julienne potatoes" .

My primary criteria (looking for more/advice and these are in no particular order) are:

1) Must be designed to handle glasses. My current helmet isn't, and after 3 hours of it pushing my ears against the earpiece I'm hurting
2) Must have a pinlock system. It gets humid here in NC and fogging can be a <female dog>. Willing to buy the pinlock lens separate
3) Would like an included drop down sun visor as I assume most visors are UV blocking as my auto-darken glasses never darken (plus, don't want sunburn)
5) Must support the installation of a good bluetooth system. At this time, not sure I'd be doing a lot of team riding, but would like it for the future (sena/cardo)
7) Having a skirt or some sort of technology to reduce noise. If not in the helmet, what do you do to reduce the wind noise?

I've put aside $1K for the helmet and bluetooth system, I'm android by the way), but wouldn't mind saving money <grin>

My thanks,
Bob

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bowmanowen,

Thanks for the heads up, I've go to my local cycle gear religiously and they never have a single helmet that fits (i'm a long oval and can't remember the centimeters). They offer to order any helmet I want, but I can't make a decision on what feels good without one that fits to start with. Note: I am NOT dissing them, they have been absolutely wonderful in all my other cycle gear (jackets, pants, Etc.), but apparently my head is not a normal (boy, have I heard that before), fit they keep in stock. That's why I'm posting on here, hoping someone here has a good example on what works for them in a similar situation (Glasses, pinlock, Etc.). My thanks for passing this on :)

Bob

· Premium Member
2011 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom modified
37 Posts
Reaction score
Try a signet x from Arai for long oval. I Just handled this situation the other day for a customer. Had the same issue. Keep in might that abnormal shapes may have higher prices. I’m surprised that they didn’t have a signet or not the knowledge on different head shapes.
Bowmanowen,

Thanks for the heads up, I've go to my local cycle gear religiously and they never have a single helmet that fits (i'm a long oval and can't remember the centimeters). They offer to order any helmet I want, but I can't make a decision on what feels good without one that fits to start with. Note: I am NOT dissing them, they have been absolutely wonderful in all my other cycle gear (jackets, pants, Etc.), but apparently my head is not a normal (boy, have I heard that before), fit they keep in stock. That's why I'm posting on here, hoping someone here has a good example on what works for them in a similar situation (Glasses, pinlock, Etc.). My thanks for passing this on :)

Bob

· Super Moderator
474 Posts
Reaction score
My only comment is about the pinlock visors. I've got a Shoei helmet that is actually really quiet, but I kinda hate the pinlock on it. I had a Scorpion years ago that I absolutely LOVED. No pinlock and no fogging. I vowed I'd never get anything but a Scorpion after that... well, they discontinued the one I liked so when it came time, their options were not what I wanted so I went elsewhere. I think they've got good options again, though, so I'll be looking at one of them again this year. I think my current one is about 6 years old so it's about time. Here's the one I'll be looking closely at when it's time:

· Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40, 1967 Yamaha YSC1, 2022 KTM 690 SMC-R
648 Posts
Reaction score
I have a Shoei RF1200, but I hear good things about Arai. For bluetooth system, I have Cardo Edge, its great.

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Och,

They had a Shoei there I loved, but it was way to small so I couldn't tell if it was good with glasses. Re: the Cardo, I'm an android user and from what I've read (looking for the truth), you have to use their voice commands versus just "ok google, play X". Is this true, or can I bypass the Cardo voice processor and just go direct to my phone?

· Registered
648 Posts
Reaction score
Och,

They had a Shoei there I loved, but it was way to small so I couldn't tell if it was good with glasses. Re: the Cardo, I'm an android user and from what I've read (looking for the truth), you have to use their voice commands versus just "ok google, play X". Is this true, or can I bypass the Cardo voice processor and just go direct to my phone?
I never used any voice commands with anything, I find voice commands stupid. I'm sure Cardo supports voice commands, but I just use the buttons.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,550 Posts
Reaction score
Voice commands above 30mph can be challenging at times with wind noise. I've used Uclear Bluetooth, HD Bluetooth and HD hard wired headsets. I've had no windshield, windshield and Bat wing fairing. All worked well at lower speeds. Just don't expect 100 percent compliance from microphone on a moving bike.

· Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
335 Posts
Reaction score
Och,

I have the Cardio Black that I use with my Samsung S22 ultimate. You can use the "hey Cardo" for Cardo options and the "hey Google" for phone commands.

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nsnate02,

Thanks for the clarification. When I read the manual, I wasn't sure I had to use their commands instead of plain google "like 'hey google, navigate to nearest gas station'". I love this place and the way people chip in :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Reaction score
To all,

My thanks,
Bob
I had same problem then I tried on a Kabuto helmet, light, really comfortable good air vents, Pinlock, looks good in Black on a cruiser. KABUTO AEROBLADE 5

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ronsbiking,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. Putting a shopping list together and going to go try some on soon.
Bob

· Registered
2006 Stratoliner S, 2006 FJR 1300
18 Posts
Reaction score
Och,

We all have our favourites and for years mine was Arai but recently I switched to Shoei. The GT-Air 2 is definitely worth a look as it’s very quiet, suits my glasses and has an integrated slot for a SENA Bluetooth kit keeping it really neat. I switched from Arai as they don’t offer a drop down visor and I really needed that feature. Hope you get sorted and let us see what you finally go for.

· Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Silverado Silver edition
44 Posts
Reaction score
To all,

My thanks,
Bob
I was in the same boat and bit the bullet on the Momentum EVO and it's been pretty good. Product
Pros: audio quality, lower road noise, pinlock, air flow, inserts are removable and can go into the wash machine, fits my big head
Cons: Voice commands are tricky
Other: Since Bluetooth helmets are finicky to mesh or group with helmets of other brands, just use Discord. Download the app, create a voice room, invite your buddies to it and you've got an easy and free voice chat when riding in a group.
Where at in NC are you? I'm in the triangle.

· Registered
648 Posts
Reaction score
Something that people should know about, there are photochromatic visors for certain helmets - I have a photochromatic visor on my RF1200, combined with pinlock, it works great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts