Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have you ever had it off? I have never had mine apart so I am just guessing , but it sounds like you may be missing a spacer or something like that. Or possibly re-assembled in incorrect order.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Self locking?

Is that a self lockng nut? There is a flat washer under it. I believe you need to drive the nut end into a grove.

Here is a link to the Liner Wiki on this. A picture shows the nut and the grove.

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what happened.I took the Cover off just checking things. The Pully had ben rubbing the cover I never heard it but i had been riding pretty hard:D I called the local dealer they told me what to tourque it to, and 5 miles later I had to trailer it home. I looked at my Stratoliner Couldn't tell anything by looking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That bottom pic from linerdave's link is the part you want to peen it into that groove.
Blue loctite doesn't hurt either if you still have trouble with it. At Least it will come off when needed. Just requires torque not like the red that needs heat.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so you will know. the nut had been loose too long I guess. any way $800.00 fix at Yamaha. They told me the nut should be checked every 4000 miles.. its eay to get to so check yours and save some money.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Has anyone heard of this happening on a V-Star 950? I'm not familiar enough with the bigger bikes to know how much the final drive systems have in common, but just this weekend, I adjusted the alignment on my rear wheel because the drive belt was rubbing on the final drive pulley. The next day, after less than 100 miles, I heard the drive belt noise come back, although much quieter than before the repair.

I'll dig in, realign again and triple check the torques on all the rear wheel fasteners (because I already double checked before I buttoned the bike back up), but if that didn't fix it, I wonder if I'll be pulling my final drive apart to get it taken care of. I have to admit that I didn't check any of the final drive fasteners while I had the chance. Shame on me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well since they are the same beast, most likely same nut holding on the pulley. Just check it out, to be sure it's peaned into the slot to keep it on. I use to spin the tire while on my lift forward and backward to make sure I had it lined up right and that it wasn't tracking from side to side.
Hope you get it figure out.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sounds as though the spline on the output shaft got destroyed due to the pulley wobbling.
EXACTLY... the weird thing was that i never heard any noise or anything, untill I tightened the nut. I only took the cover off because i was going to use the chrome cover on my Stratoliner. I noticed that the pully had been rubbing on the cover, then noticed the nut loose. The rest is on the post. I would suggest that you check this nut everytime you change oil. I have a pretty good Yamaha Dealer and I think that (maybe) I might get out for around $600.00 Or so

·
Registered
254 Posts
Usually unless it is real messed up, that spline having some marks in it just adds bit of hold tension with the nut makes it harder to screw on and off but if not to messed up/stripped should be able to just tighten the nut back on and dimple in spot to hold. Other wise bit of work to take apart that for that shaft, enjoy.
Hopes for the best.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weld shaft to pully

The splines on the shaft and the pully are wore.. Yamaha says it will be August 20th or something like that before the shaft will get here.
What do you guys think about welding the shaft to the pully.
The Earth Quake in Japan is the Problem on Supply

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Crank it back on with a new nut, then tack weld the nut to the pulley and tack weld the nut to the shaft. I fear anything more that tack welding will send too much heat back into the transfer case and case seals. Then go easy with it till August and check it periodically till then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts