Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS650 Custom
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Yamaha XVS650 Custom.

I have read the countless posts about the clutch handle grabbing around the last inch of the throw.

I gotta say, after turning wrenches on vehicle for 30+ years, I feel that mine is just worn and needs replacing. I feel this way because mine grabs at literally 3/8" (or less) before it is fully released.
I am the 3rd owner, believe it or not, and who knows how the other 2 owners drove the bike. Maybe they hot rodded the hell out of it? I don't know.

Mind you, I bought the bike with 2,396 original miles on it.
I have never done a burn out, or anything stupid with the bike. I drive it within the limits of the traffic laws, and I respect my bike. After riding the bike for a year, I now have 12,189 miles on the bike, and the clutch friction zone has not "grown" as I have read some comments.

These are the reasons why I have a desire to replace the clutch and friction plates, as well as the springs. I bought the kit, Yamaha part number 3B6-W001G-00-00. That is the kit that is the stock part (found the part number on www.cheapcycleparts.com).

Now you know the history of where I am at right now.

I need help with the proper steps for this replacement, as I have never done this before on any bike I have had in the past.

I believe I am supposed to soak the clutch discs in the same motorcycle oil as the engine uses for I think a minimum of 24 hours prior to the replacement.

Please help me out with the not so obvious steps?
Have to drain the oil out of the engine, remove the exhaust (for access), then start to remove the cover(s).
That is what I know.

Thank you (all?) in advance for any assistance you can offer me.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Spence, I own the same year, make and model with 9000 miles and am the 3rd owner. It also has the small and late friction zone. The 650 is notorious for the condition. I would suggest downloading the service bulletin at the link below and make sure your clutch pivot and cable is properly adjusted, and make sure you are using a Jaso rated motorcycle engine oil. The 650CCnD website also has a mod to adjust the friction zone that you might consider. I worry that changing the clutches wont make a difference. I have learned to live with mine as it shifts fine and does not slip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2007 Yamaha XVS650 Custom.

I have read the countless posts about the clutch handle grabbing around the last inch of the throw.

I gotta say, after turning wrenches on vehicle for 30+ years, I feel that mine is just worn and needs replacing. I feel this way because mine grabs at literally 3/8" (or less) before it is fully released.
I am the 3rd owner, believe it or not, and who knows how the other 2 owners drove the bike. Maybe they hot rodded the hell out of it? I don't know.

Mind you, I bought the bike with 2,396 original miles on it.
I have never done a burn out, or anything stupid with the bike. I drive it within the limits of the traffic laws, and I respect my bike. After riding the bike for a year, I now have 12,189 miles on the bike, and the clutch friction zone has not "grown" as I have read some comments.

These are the reasons why I have a desire to replace the clutch and friction plates, as well as the springs. I bought the kit, Yamaha part number 3B6-W001G-00-00. That is the kit that is the stock part (found the part number on www.cheapcycleparts.com).

Now you know the history of where I am at right now.

I need help with the proper steps for this replacement, as I have never done this before on any bike I have had in the past.

I believe I am supposed to soak the clutch discs in the same motorcycle oil as the engine uses for I think a minimum of 24 hours prior to the replacement.

Please help me out with the not so obvious steps?
Have to drain the oil out of the engine, remove the exhaust (for access), then start to remove the cover(s).
That is what I know.

Thank you (all?) in advance for any assistance you can offer me.
Did you adjust the clutch at the bottom? not the top right? DO not replace the clutch disc at all ! mine with 70,000 miles on them slipping for 5 years 1100 2005 v star. only install barnet pressure plate is all you need. the Yamaha strings design doesn't work at all! barnet is all you need! I was a Toyota mechanic. for 36 years

1 - 4 of 4 Posts