Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this weird oil leak that seems to be coming out of a bottom bolt in the right crankcase cover right behind the rear brake reservoir. The oil seems to be dripping down to the underside of the bike and getting oil everywhere. There is a bracket attached to that bolt that you can see clean oil accumulating on the tip.

I also followed those rubber hoses to see if oil can be using them to travel from different parts of the motor but only a few inch section was oily which was closest to the leak.

Does anyone know if I should just put some kind of thread lock on it or should I change the whole crank case gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
When did this leak appear? Did it appear after an oil change? The cover just above the bolt is the oil filter access cover. If the o rings weren't change at the last filter change, one of them may have failed. I would pull the cover off and change the o rings on the filter cover. Quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When did this leak appear? Did it appear after an oil change? The cover just above the bolt is the oil filter access cover. If the o rings weren't change at the last filter change, one of them may have failed. I would pull the cover off and change the o rings on the filter cover. Quick and cheap fix.
Oil was changed last month. It is possible that the shop didn't change the o rings because if I had to guess, the leak appeared around that time by the amount of oil spots on the garage. I'm just debating if I should take it to the shop to have them fix it or just do it myself.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
it's been a month so I would just go there buy the o rings, tell them about it and change them out myself. Who knows, they might even do it for free ;). You do realize that to get to the cover the front pipe has to come off. but you wont need to drop the oil. leave the bike on the stand and you shouldn't loose anymore than a few table spoons of oil if that. Bet you dimes to dollars that the leak will disappear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the o rings then I went for a ride and when I parked the bike in the garage I came out an hour later and noticed fresh oil spots on the ground. I'm kind of clueless now where this leak might be coming from. I cleaned everything again with degreaser and I'm going to leave the bike sit overnight and see what happens.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think your talking about the two orings that go around the oil cover but isn't there a small oring that goes around one of the bottom mounting screws.in your picture your focused right on it,
So far there's no oil on the ground and I ran the bike so I'll check again later.

Hopefully the oil that leaked out was just left over oil behind the cover when I changed the o rings.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, after I didn't see any oil spots for a while a few days ago I took the bike out on the highway and it started leaking again. So I cleaned the oil of again and it didn't leak until I rode the bike 55+ mph, then oil spots started appearing again.

I even took the bike back to the shop which supposedly fixed it but it still leaks. Im kind of stuck on what to do, I'll probably take it back to the shop but does anyone have any other ideas.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Iwould take the oil filter cover off and check and replace the three o-rings.the oil filter has a foam gasket on it.It sticks out about 1/4 inch so when installing the cover you have to tighten the bolts in a cross pattern and very carefully till the cover is seated flat, and if i remember right the cover does not fit tight there is a slight gap all the way around. as long as you tighten it evenly and not over tighten your good to go.The dealer may have reused the orings or did not tighten the cover right.The cover does not come off easy you need to use a small pry bar and watch the chrome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks again Nick. Is this the o ring you're talking about at the bottom mounting bolt? Its definitely broken so that has to be where the oil is leaking from, but while im in there is there any sense changing the gasket that is between the big chrome cover and the engine block? In the second pic you can see a little oil in between where the cover and engine meet but I'm not sure if that's just the oil leaking across from the bolt with the broken o ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=858&pictureid=11738i included a picture of where the o-ring is.this is my second attempt adding attachments,so bear with me. the small o-ring is under the bottom screw its A in the bottom picture.i can't tell from the picture if its leaking maybe someone with more experience would know.
Yep I think A in the bottom picture is B in the top picture and that's the bolt with the busted o ring. In my first pic in the above post you can see the broken o ring that's right under the screw. The screw must have been tightened too hard and tore the o ring.

Do you by any chance know what size that o ring is? I might head out to AutoZone and see if they have one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts