Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's that you USA guys don't seem to have laws about excessive noise, helmets and sharp protrusions. In my state, we have a 94db limit, helmets are mandatory and we can't have pointy bits that could snag people. My mirrors aren't technically allowed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's that you USA guys don't seem to have laws about excessive noise, helmets and sharp protrusions. In my state, we have a 94db limit, helmets are mandatory and we can't have pointy bits that could snag people. My mirrors aren't technically allowed.
Page 9-4 Yamaha XVS650R(C)/XVS650AR(C) U.S. manual:
--------------------------------------------------------------
TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED

Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof: (1) The removal or rendering inoperative by any person other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use or (2) the use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.

"AMONG THOSE ACTS PRESUMED TO CONSTITUTE TAMPERING ARE THE ACTS LISTED BELOW".

These acts include tampering with the following systems: i.e., modification, removal, etc.

Exhaust system: Muffler, Exhaust pipe, Silencer.
Intake system: Air cleaner case, Air cleaner element, intake duct.
---------------------------------------------------------------

If law enforement wanted to enforce it, basically anything besides stock in good working condition is considered a violation of federal law in the U.S. So, anything aftermarket that changes the noise level or emissions is breaking the law. That pretty much covers all aftermarket exhaust and/or intake systems.

Decible laws, emissions testing and emission laws, helmet laws, LED laws, and "sharp object" laws vary from state to state, county to county, and even in some cases, from community to community. I remember when they outlawed (and actually enforced for quite a while) pointed and/or squared ends (forks) on sissy bars.

In the U.S., one of the favorite pass-times of government is adding as many new laws as they can without taking ANY old laws off of the books. So yeah, over 230+ years, we've passed laws against just about anything and everything. Thankfully, the feds are more concerned with busting socals growing medicinal pot than with throwing 25% of the country in jail for aftermarket pipes. The locals usually have enough sense to leave it alone too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
BTW,

The Jardines on my 650 have beautifully tuned deep throats when purring and usually scare the hell out of anything else on the road when I crack 'em.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The U.S. is basically a "cover-all" situation in most aspects of life vs law.

The theory is to make as much as you can technically illegal, so if law enforcement or anyone in government has a problem with an individual or group, they can always find something to arrest them for.

It is "The land of the free" for the most part, but it is corrupt. Big brother's been attempting to gradually erode our rights and freedoms for as long as this country's been in existence, and he's been especially effective at it since the end of WWII. Fear-mongering and non-transparency of government seems to help the process quite a bit.

There's a story about putting a frog into cold water and very gradually heating it up to a boil. The frog will not jump out and will boil to death because it can't feel the temperature rise that gradually.

My township decided that I, and everyone in the township were going to use an expensive garbage collection company from an adjacent state last year. My garbage collection cost went from around $8 per month (living alone and buying a couple of designated bags at the supermarket) to $79 every three months whether I even used the service or not. That's right, they're treating it like taxes. If you don't pay this company for either collecting what garbage you have (or for NOTHING if you choose to dispose of your garbage by other means), the township will put a lean on your property without due process. The two drastically cheaper garbage collection companies that used to operate in our township are still more than willing to service our area. That means that there are free-market choices available to us and what the township is forcing upon us is unconstitutional.

But, what individual is going to cough up the thousands it would take to fight it? There's the rub as they say.

If we were to go back to the 50's, 60's, or even early 70's, and everything that's been taken away was taken away in, let's say, a 6 month period of time,... There'd be blood in the streets.

But, like the frog, we let it happen, and we continue to let it happen every day U.S. bodies of government are in session and big businesses are in their boardrooms.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Like Val said, same goes in my State.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The U.S. is basically a "cover-all" situation in most aspects of life vs law.
But, like the frog, we let it happen, and we continue to let it happen every day U.S. bodies of government are in session and big businesses are in their boardrooms.
Man 650 we could be brothers from another mother! This is much the same way I feel. And it's gonna take damn near a revolution to change things. As I read on a patch the other day...."I love my country, but fear my government"

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Administrator
13,915 Posts
I don't think I could live in the States. I toured there in '99 and quite a few things made me raise my eyebrows and frown.
it's not as bad as it sounds. just because there are laws don't mean they are really enforced in most places. cops aren't pulling people over for this and it really would only be enforced if you are in trouble for something else. out of all the people who have upgraded their exhaust, how many have actually been ticketed for such?

·
Registered
15 Posts
what you posted is right on, I've never heard it stated more acuratly. the only thing I can think of to do about it is to keep sharing my opinion on the subject. this does not agree with everyone though. Such is life

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know that this thread is wondering off topic, but I'd like to add my 2 cents worth from the "land of the free and home of the brave".

Although I haven't backed this up with dilligent research, I've heard and read it said that we (USA) are the most highly regulated society on the face of the earth. Yet we yearn collectively to become even more so because regulation supplants personal responsibility.

A year or so ago our state government shut down for 3 weeks because our elected politicians couldn't agree on a budget. That's roughly 6% of the year. I inquired of my representatives in the State House and Senate as to how I should deduct for this when I file my taxes. Absent a logical nor credible reply from them, I then asked my family lawyer who informed me: "We could probably win this in court, but the action would be long and tedious, and frankly the legal cost to buck the system would be much more than to just pay up and shut up."

So that's how it goes. Nuff said.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cali will have a law in 2015 but only for 2011 (if I remember correctly) and newer bikes. It said that it will not be enforced though

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
I look at it like this, in Oklahoma you dont have to have a safety inspection on a cage or a bike, but that gives the Highway Patrol the right to inspect your vehicle if you are pulled over, BUT if you are not doing anything that draws attention to you the likelihood you getting pulled over is next to none unless you are dragging parts. I said that to say that if you run completly modified from intake to pipes as long as you dont draw attention or break the law...... too bad..... they are more than likely going to leave you alone. I do know that the locals dont like you going down Main street racking your pipes off but there have been plenty of times the cops have heard us coming through town and have never been approached on any of this. My point....................... I dunno??????????? Hope everyone has a Blessed day!

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's not so bad in the US

I'm a Melbourne girl living in San Francisco atm. In the last 9 years I have also lived in LA, Vegas, New Orleans, Austin, Montana, central Oregon and Seattle and I've visited or passed through 46 states so I like to think I have a reasonably good perspective on this country.

There is some pretty screwed up stuff in the US but to be honest, Australia is slowly heading down the same path. We are 20-30 years behind and we don't have some of the REALLY crazy, mostly self manufactured problems of the US (guns, drugs and the Tea Party come to mind :p) but Oz is slowly becoming a different place.

That being said I would move back home in a heartbeat if hubby was interested and our finances allowed...:D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Say got a good deal for ya on 40ac. and a house just down the road.

Also I drilled some holes in my wife's 650 witch made it loud/euf for me. If I was louder I wouldn't follow Her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts