Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to a 1,350-mile trip from Colorado to southern Ohio this summer. Wondering about tour packs (hard trunks) for my 2007 V-Star 1300 with touring package. I want something large enough to hold two full-face helmets, with electric tail and/or brake lights, a chrome rack on top, a spoiler with LED lights, and wrapped with leather or vinyl to match my hard saddlebags. Any suggestions on where to find a trunk that meets these criteria? I've tried several online vendors, and even ordered one that turned out to be too small and cheap-looking.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Givi has a pack that big if you have a rack large enough for it. Has turn signals, big enough for two full face helmets, removes like luggage and looks horrible on a cruiser.

Just a suggestion to get you started. A mounting adapter for your rack is required to install it. Research it, but anything 46 liters and up should genuinely fit two full face helmets with exception to large helmets. Anything large and up and I'd say 55 liter case.

Look for Givi E55 MonoKEY. It's the biggest Givi and is very rugged.

In the videos you may hear that bike specific mounts are required. That's true, but it also includes the universal mount. What they are trying to deter is just bolting it directly to your rack and defeating the quick disconnect feature to make it usable as luggage.

Has a brake light option. Black top rack option. No spoiler. Matte black option (no vinyl or leather cover).

·
Registered
157 Posts
For what it's worth, my 2 cents. I just returned from an 1100 mile weekend, riding 2 up. I have hard bags and a Kuryakan, "Ultra Tour" tail bag. It was more than adequate, but we pack light and it doesn't hold helmets or riding gear. We're both wearing Motoport kevlar jacket and pants with full face helmets. I use a cable lock ran through the sleeves and a pant leg then through both helmets, all is stacked on the seats. I think I'll add a roll bag to the top of the tour bag, just to carry the rain/wind liners. It's a lot of gear, but I won't go without all of it.

The saddlebags and tour bag carry enough clothes etc for a two week trip, although you may have to do laundry at some point.

Don

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing that has not been mentioned. Adding a tour pack / trunk to any bike will drastically alter the handling of the bike. Not only does it catch more wind, but whenever we have more storage space, we just have to fill it up. Watch the amount of weight you put in there. Adding a bunch of gear can add up very quickly, resulting in a drastic change in your center of gravity. This can result in some very odd handling characteristics if you are not used to it.

Myself, I hate tour pack or trunks and will not put one on any of my bikes. But, I am old school and learned to travel very light. If it doesn't fit in the saddle bags, then it stays home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dave,
I added the Givi V47 to my 950 and it holds plenty.
I also have the biker's friend roll bag that I mount on the seat. I carry 1 half and one modular helmet.
I pack enough for 2 week trip and no laundry mats. That's an extra helmet for me and not for another passenger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need help with mounting

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg Have had a heck of a time finding/mounting an after-market trunk (top box/tour pack), as Yamaha doesn't make one. Bought a TP Extra Large Tour Pak with Wrap Around Backrest, Large Top Rack and Slimline LED Spoiler...got it online from RideBikeGear.com. Bought a Yamaha rack, and had it installed by the local Yamaha dealer. But the dealer can't figure out a way to mount the trunk on the rack! I have a trip planned...northern Colorado to southern Ohio...in less than two weeks, and am going crazy!

Photos attached show the new Yamaha rack, mounted by the local Yamaha dealer. Sorry the pics appear upside down or sideways...can't seem to correct that. A separate photo shows the after-market trunk from RideBikeGear.com. 3b751f6441372b223e9825ba87063022_image_750x497.jpg Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In looking at the rack itself, looks to me you need to loose the sissy bar and you should be fine. It appears from the pics that the trunk just clamps to the rack with brackets that are placed under the rack and screws go through the trunk and into the brackets. The fact that your rack has that raised lip may be an issue as well. If so a small wooden or aluminum spacer should solve that issue.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
The most cost-effective solution is a sissy bar bag, about $200 or a little more.

Mustang makes a really good looking hard leather-look trunk, but it's over $900 w/ hardware.

In between those price points are Givi and Shad top cases. On my V-Star 1300 I have a Shad 50L case, mounted on a Mutazu (sp?) rack I found on eBay. Total cost less than $500. Those cases can fairly easily be transferred to a different bike if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In looking at the rack itself, looks to me you need to loose the sissy bar and you should be fine. It appears from the pics that the trunk just clamps to the rack with brackets that are placed under the rack and screws go through the trunk and into the brackets. The fact that your rack has that raised lip may be an issue as well. If so a small wooden or aluminum spacer should solve that issue.
Thanks, Summer. I agree that removing the sissy bar would solve the problem. But the Yamaha rack (sold and installed by the local Yamaha dealer) actually attaches to the bike via the sissy bar. According to the service manager, the rack can't be installed separately from the sissy bar. And the raised lip on the rack is definitely an issue also. I thought about a wooden spacer, combined with a plywood platform, to set the trunk on a level surface. It shouldn't be this complicated!:cool:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm just throwing out ideas here but based on your pictures, it appears that the rack is screwed to the inside edges of the sissy bar posts. If that's the case could you just have a block of aluminum machined and drilled to insert where the sissy bar would go and then bolt the rack to that? That's gives you somewhere to mount the rack w/o having the sissy bar installed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm just throwing out ideas here but based on your pictures, it appears that the rack is screwed to the inside edges of the sissy bar posts. If that's the case could you just have a block of aluminum machined and drilled to insert where the sissy bar would go and then bolt the rack to that? That's gives you somewhere to mount the rack w/o having the sissy bar installed.

Yep, I have this same set up with the sissy bar and it would be easy enough to make a threaded spacer to take the place of the sissy bar and give you something to bolt the rack to.
I had a buddy help me build a custom rack that bolts on the same way your rack does, except we put to support rods that connect to the open holes in the saddlebag supports. They are down low and to the back of the saddlebags. Not sure what they are for unless just a tie-down point, but it sure made my rack super strong and sturdy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know you won't want to hear this, but that rack isn't strong enough for a trunk. That's a luggage rack and it is designed to hold upwards of 10 lbs safely, even though it will probably hold more like 40 lbs.

At the bare minimum, it is designed to have the sissy bar there in order to support the weight of a passenger. Even then, it's designed to hold a bag of some sort. Not a 10 pound trunk, with 25 lbs of gear in it, 15 lbs of gear on the top rack, and 30-50lbs of lateral force from a passenger leaning back on the trunk too. Add the increased torque of hitting a bump with all that weight, and you're begging to drop everything on the ground. If there is a passenger leaning on the trunk at the time....I won't say anything further about that.

I won't call that rack junk, but I would be highly suspicious of any dealer who sold you that rack and didn't warn you of how vastly you're exceeding what that rack is capable of.

I bought a Wompus rack for my Roadstar that has the same trunk on it. They cost $220 shipped, but the safety of my wife is worth it. Either forget about the trunk, or ask that dealer for a refund and get yourself a safe place to mount the trunk. It took me about half an hour to install my trunk, including time to remove the saddlebags & rails, install the rack, and mount the trunk. http://wompusracks.com/

There are other options out there, but none are less expensive than the Wompus. Next up would be a machined steel shelf designed to mount in the sissy bar holes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1406112737.346607.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1406112791.949730.jpg m ImageUploadedByMO Free1406112835.550228.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1406112889.613292.jpg . I used my sissy bar mounts my old luggage rack (same as yours) the hardware that comes with the trunk and high quality( chrome) hose clamp's (small) remove your sissy bar back rest bolt luggage rack back on then mount trunk to that!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in agreement with Ben about the rack. I drove over to Ga and had Mr Wompus to install the rack. It is an awesome rack, strong and you can leave the mounts for the backrest on for future use. I'm 210 lbs and can sit on this rack without it giving.
He recommends the solid rack when mounting tour packs, but I got the 4 bar one so I could just strap stuff on when not using the box.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know much about the guy who makes the racks, but he was real nice on the phone. Arrived on just a couple days too. I preferred this over a traditional trunk mount because it will work as a luggage rack if I choose to go back to the sissy bar.

I realize motorcycling is inherently dangerous, but I'm not trying to increase my wife's risk by telling her something is stronger than it is. Peace of mind was worth the extra $100 to me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mine Is safe, solid ,and very secure!! I'm 65 "280 and leaned hard on the back of it no problem!! But the rack looks pretty secure and very nice too!! I I just was giving you some ideas!! As we have the same rack and the same tour pack basically good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have had a heck of a time finding/mounting an after-market trunk (top box/tour pack), as Yamaha doesn't make one.

Photos attached show the new Yamaha rack, mounted by the local Yamaha dealer. Sorry the pics appear upside down or sideways...can't seem to correct that. A separate photo shows the after-market trunk from RideBikeGear.com.
On her 1300 Deluxe, my wife has the Yamaha backrest and luggage rack, and one of these leather covered hard trunks. Works well, and I like how it looks. Largish picture here; http://thedurlands.com/images/bike/TammysDeluxe.JPG. We bought the smaller version.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts