Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im swapping the engine out of an 1100 and putting it in another but i have no clue what to do with the driveshaft. Do i disconnect it where it hooks up to the engine on the ubolt or where it hooks to the back wheel? Ill need to drain the gear oil in the back wheel if i do that right? Or do i remove all of it off of the back wheel and put it on the other bike? The manual just says how to remove the engine and doesnt mentiom the shaft and i can do whatever but i want to know the easiest, or safest, way. I have a torque wrench but i dont have crowsfeet for it so id prefer not to rake the ubolt apart.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,112 Posts
The rearmost half of the U-joint is splined. The driveshaft just slips out of it.

You don't have to drain the gear box. It won't leak as long as you keep it oriented as it would be in the bike. But if you're into an engine swap, might as well drain it for service and inspection.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rearmost half of the U-joint is splined. The driveshaft just slips out of it.

You don't have to drain the gear box. It won't leak as long as you keep it oriented as it would be in the bike. But if you're into an engine swap, might as well drain it for service and inspection.
I found out earlier after about a 1 hour headache. I finally found out by watching someone change the rear tire that it just comes out, haha. But i will change out the gear oil and inspect. The splines on both bikes were both sightly corroded but completely useable. I switched out the rubber boot that touches the actual shaft part though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE="nick57, post: 1110042, member: 6437"]
while you have it apart. part # 32 as it wears it evenentually will cut the driveshaft cover. then it flops around. View attachment 111241
[/QUOTE]
Yeah it actually it was mangeled and cut, the other bike had a whole one and i switched it out prior
Can you just use normal red grease in there or is just chain lube okay for rust protection? Theres no friction parts in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.