Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys two problems have come up since having the scoot down for a week of new tires. The first thing is i now have a slow oil leak coming from the senson on the bottom of the bike. Does it have a gasket that i can replace or do i have to replace the whole sensor? Next problem is i went ahead and replaced the brakes while i had the wheels off. no big deal but when i get on the front brakes hard it stops good but it will make a grinding sound after i start to stop again after the hard stop. any help will be great thanks.......its a 2002 vstar 1100 classic 18886 miles cobra pipes dynajet stage 1 k&n air filter.... i just git the bike from the last owner and it sat outside for two years

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Oil sensor?

blslkn1,

I see no one answered so I will give it a try. Maybe you can describe the sensor a little better. It might trigger someone's memory.

Maybe you are talking about the oil sensor? Bottom left I believe. I believe it has an O ring but I don't see it in the parts book. You might find one if you had it out.

I wonder if you might have put in too much oil? That seems to be the most common cause of an oil leak. The bike holds 3.3 quarts if you change the filter and oil.

I never had any brake noise form my 1100 V Star. I can only hope the noise will go away once the pads seat in. Did you use Yamaha's pads? If not what kind?

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lineradave. Yes its the oil level sensor on the right bottom of the bike brake side. I don't want to pull it unless I know of a seal or gasket sense all oil will go with it and I only have about 1000 miles on the oil. The brakes are braking and I think that once they wear in will be fine. Took it to work today which is a 100 mile ride with no problems so hopefully they will set in

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If i may offer some food for thought....did you check all your electrical connections concerning the oil sensor?

I haven't tried this on my bike yet, but on my truck i tried the new ceramic brake pads and they had a sound that i can only describe as a combination grind/squeak until they broke in. I've heard of other brands/materials used in new pads sometimes sound like they grind like metal-to-metal. That said, i would still put the bike back on the workbench and double check my work (if it were me :) ) I know manufacturers are starting to use different material in an attempt to get away from asbestos.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah I put it up on the lift to check the front. Everything is like it should be. Wheel rolls freely and all parts look good. I think it just needs to get set in. It sounds like metal on metal. Oil leak appears to be coming from the sensor. I havdnt pulled it because I don't want to waste my oil change I just did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts