Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled the trigger and order 14" apes for my 1100 classic. I got them yesterday and tossed them on the bike to measure for cables. I just want to double check with those who have done this before, before I place my order.
I measured:
+6 for the clutch
26" maybe 28" for the upper brake line
The throttle cables look like they should work but will be at the limit.
The choke also looks like it will work but will also be at the limit.
Does this look like right or am I missing something?

Also does anyone have a good sourse for black cables? All I see are stainless and I don't want just 1 stainless line. I am also not ready to replace all the lines with stainless. I'm cheap. :)
I talk to Motion Pro and they said they can make it in black but it would be a custom order. AKA no returns so the measurement better be right.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I get all my cables from Tim at Metric Magic...he can get any length, any cover, even special ends if needed and the prices are good. If you're interested you can get him at 575-671-0050 or at the Star Parts and Trade forum on Delphi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and order 14" apes for my 1100 classic. I got them yesterday and tossed them on the bike to measure for cables. I just want to double check with those who have done this before, before I place my order.
I measured:
+6 for the clutch
26" maybe 28" for the upper brake line
The throttle cables look like they should work but will be at the limit.
The choke also looks like it will work but will also be at the limit.
Does this look like right or am I missing something?

Also does anyone have a good sourse for black cables? All I see are stainless and I don't want just 1 stainless line. I am also not ready to replace all the lines with stainless. I'm cheap. :)
I talk to Motion Pro and they said they can make it in black but it would be a custom order. AKA no returns so the measurement better be right.

Thanks for any help!

Would love to see pics :)
going ape my self here, have it laying around, 16" with cables.
But still hasn't mounted it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mick
Thanks for the info I'll give him a call. Do my measurement seem to be in the right ballpark? I taped a piece of stiff wire to the cable behind the trees then marked on the wire the length of the stock cable. With that marked I ran the wire up to the new bars to about the point it looks like it would mount and measured the difference. Is there a better, more accurate way of doing this? I should have done this months ago but life gets busy. I am trying to have everything all line up before I disconnect everything to reduse the time it is off the road. Do you the stock throttle cables work with 14s? I know that the bars are all a bit different but did they work for you guys?
Thanks again for any info.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not sure what bike you have to say much about what works for cable lengths.

The way you measure is usually what I do, but if you talk to Tim, he may have some ideas on proper lengths too.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The standard I see used with the 1100, is the height of your apes minus 6" equals additional cable length needed. But I like actually measuring it if you are able to do that before ordering cables.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I put 14 " ape's on my roadliner few years ago I had to reroute my lines , I used my stock cables . ImageUploadedByMO Free1399844885.768049.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399844939.026275.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399845015.583968.jpg I'm going to change them some day ,but the work great, thanks for the information and the phone number for that company I like to do it next winter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting around to mounting my new bars. I got them last summer but couldn't find a good time to be without the bike during the summer. Now that it is cold and I can't ride anyway. This seems like a great way to fight cabin fever and think about the bike some.
My question is... How necessary is it to replace.the riser bushings. Will the stock ones work ok with 14" apes?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Are you using the stock risers?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The stock bushings should be fine. Solid bushings offer a little firmer feel, but transfer vibration. Try the stock ones and if you don't like it, change them to solid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Mick.
One more question. I am planning to run the wires internally. The wires will exit the bars between the risers. Would drilling a hole in the top of the triple tree to run the wires straight through create too much of a weak spot? How have the rest of you run your wires after they exit the bars?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that done several times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts