Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Does anyone of you know the size of the bolts that I'll need for the two holes on the triple three of a 2014 v star 950?? And plus the size of the bolts that are used to fasten the floorboard to the frame please. Not the lenght but the actual diameter/thread... Because I thought was a normal Ma thread, but a 10ma bolt will not fit.:confused::confused:

Please forgive me for my poor english.....I've might have made some mistakes ^_^

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Understand that metric hardware can be of coarse or fine thread.

Coarse might be 1.25 to 1.5 mm thread pitch
Fine might be 0.75 to 1.00 mm thread pitch

There are sites that have replacement parts on line and give
exploded views of the area in question. Many times the hardware
is shown with the type of bolt, length and pitch listed.

BikeBandit.com is one of them.

Good luck. Just ask me how I know

jake :) ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jake and thank you for the reply,
I have searched the net for info and have been to bikebendit and other like it, but, unfortunatly
They do list items as "bolt with washer" and do not specify nothing...
I do know the pitch can be fine or coarse and for the 10 mm metric iso can be
coarse (normally used) 1.5 mm
Fine 1.25 to 1 mm
And unless i was unlucky enough to have a bolt that was not in "good shape" I've tried all three of those without luck....:(

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Usually if the thread pitch is off slightly it will allow a few turns in and then tighten up. If it will not start threading at all not the right thread at all. if it feels loose (sloppy)when tightening it will not hold torque.

You could drill it out and retap it with a known next metric size up.

I would make sure the threads are not buggered up inside.

If they are retap. Done.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Ahhhhh, Fishing for motorcycle parts, Priceless.

Thanks Nick,. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Cool. fishing for motorcycle parts on a boat parts web site.

amazing ! I hope he can real in a big one. Just The right size.

What Can I say I'm on a roll. :);):rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tnx Nick ;-)
Still missing what I need...
Well probably no one ever needed to replace any of the bolts in question ^_^

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Being it's a bike made in Japan it has to be metric hardware.
The key is finding the correct thread pitch and length.

Note, Bolt length is determined from the underside of the head to the tip of the threads. SAE or metric is the same.

Thread pitch gauges can be purchased that are for Metric hardware.

This may be your fastest way of getting to the bottom of this issue.

You may even try contacting an Ebay vendor that deals in parting out
bikes. They may have had a crash victim that new come through the door. Many times when all the big parts are sold off they will list the Misc, hardware. Your bolts could be purchased as a pair from them.

Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being it's a bike made in Japan it has to be metric hardware.
The key is finding the correct thread pitch and length.

Note, Bolt length is determined from the underside of the head to the tip of the threads. SAE or metric is the same.

Thread pitch gauges can be purchased that are for Metric hardware.

This may be your fastest way of getting to the bottom of this issue.

You may even try contacting an Ebay vendor that deals in parting out
bikes. They may have had a crash victim that new come through the door. Many times when all the big parts are sold off they will list the Misc, hardware. Your bolts could be purchased as a pair from them.

Worth a try anyway.
I thought that as well and I really hope it is like that.
It must be metric ^_^
I'll try to contact ebay sellers even though I need not standard length (cause i have to attach some "home made parts" ^_^) but maybe they can tell me something about ;-)
Cheers jake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definetly not 8 (the inner hole diameter is 8.8) more like to be near 10 (but a 10mm metric has a hole diameter of 8.5) and looking at it seems to be coarse not fine.I've tried a 10mm 1.5 pitch but after a couple of turns gets stuck...
While I look around for info I'll try to get a 10 mm with 1.25 pitch and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
On thread pitch the larger the number the wider the distance between threads.

So as an example If you had two bolts the same but one was coarse
and the other fine thread the coarse thread would be say 1.5 and the fine 1.0 or 1.25

This is just an example.

I was a calibration tech for a Military contractor for 15 years.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Go to the store, and spend $5 and buy a thread pitch gauge, and diameter gauge. Then you'll have it for any and every bolt you'll ever wonder that question to.

Better to know 100% with a tool, than take guesses looking at parts lists online.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I suggested that already in earlier comments. Sure would make life easier for us typing all these letters and periods and comma's.

All part of life ! Priceless ! :cool::rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I guess you're right...
Definetly did a mistake by asking here, i thought that was what a forum was meant for too, but never mind,
I'll sort that out myself.
Thanks guys ;-)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't think the past two comments were made to be rude or crude. You had asked if anyone knew the bolt specifics. The ones replied did not know the info but advised you the best way to find out for sure the info you were wanting. But you continued to talk about guessing and using trial and error. If that's what you wish to do then that's your choice.

Are you looking for new bolts or just want to know what size and pitch the ones you have are? Reason I ask is you can go to any parts site and buy the new bolts that are the correct size and be done with it. I have found them on shspowersports for $2.94 each. You have already been given a couple other places they can be purchased as well. Those may even be cheaper than what I found. Order a couple today and you will have them by the weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry everyone I really didn't mean to hurt anyone feelings.
The problem is, I have asked just the size of the bolts and the thread pitches, not a way to find out...
I'm planning of building some custom bits and the replacement oem part will not be useful because I'll might need longer bolts
Obviously is not my language and I do not know how to express myself properly.
But as a result, at last, I've got what i needed, so, the problem ends here.
Thanks everyone, ride safe ;-)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts