Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner stripped the hell out of this thing. I tried the rubber band trick and that didn't work. Tried using a star bit and it's just between 2 sizes. I bought this Irwin kit that supposedly works well, even on button head bolts, but I can't get the grip to hold well enough. Any other ideas, short of drilling it out?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Bofa, I'd try what moby suggested. If that doesn't work, drill it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Torx bit and an impact tool. Even a decent power drill (With the loctite on there? Well, try and see?) should be able to do it if you don't have any impact tools. Tap the appropriate size torx bit in just a little (just enough for the bit to grab onto the head) with a hammer and attach an impact tool. From my experience, 9/10 times they come right out.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks, probably going to have to drill it out. There's always this....

http://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Remover-Extractor-Product-Stop/dp/B00MZCEBII

I bought a gold tipped remover from the hardware store for $20. I broke it on the first shot but I did get the screw out. I returned it for my money back and fixed the problem.
I may give that a shot. Love an excuse to buy more tools. :grin:

Torx bit and an impact tool. Even a decent power drill (With the loctite on there? Well, try and see?) should be able to do it if you don't have any impact tools. Tap the appropriate size torx bit in just a little (just enough for the bit to grab onto the head) with a hammer and attach an impact tool. From my experience, 9/10 times they come right out.
The stripped center is just between two sizes. I tried hammering in the larger torx but the bit metal seems softer than the bolt. I'll give it another shot.

One other thing I found perusing the web for ideas is to jb weld a bit in the hole and then try wrenching it out I also read that heating the bolt may help once I can get some grip on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may give that a shot. Love an excuse to buy more tools. :grin:

The stripped center is just between two sizes. I tried hammering in the larger torx but the bit metal seems softer than the bolt. I'll give it another shot.

One other thing I found perusing the web for ideas is to jb weld a bit in the hole and then try wrenching it out I also read that heating the bolt may help once I can get some grip on it.
The JB Weld is another option for sure. I hate these damn Allen head bolts. I want to replace every damn one of them honestly.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
spin it out with a hammer and chisel, if there's loc tight on it heat it with butane just cover the area around it with a wet rag first. the square easy outs work best if you can find one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't have any JB Weld so I tried with epoxy and that was a fail. I did get a nice notch with a chisel but the bolt wouldn't budge. argh

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use my Mig welder to tack another bolt to the top of the stripped one then use the head of the welded on bolt to take it all out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just drill it and run a 5/16 tap ...game over no more aggravation.
Don't know how to tap :grin:

I use my Mig welder to tack another bolt to the top of the stripped one then use the head of the welded on bolt to take it all out.
I need to find a buddy that can weld. May pick up some jb weld this weekend and try that. The epoxy attempt was comical.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Don't know how to tap :grin:

I need to find a buddy that can weld. May pick up some jb weld this weekend and try that. The epoxy attempt was comical.
watch a video on tapping a hole, useful for any motorcycle owner most bikes sooner or later get stripped threads usually in aluminum. a tap is like a super hard bolt that cuts treads into holes you just tread it in like a bolt. there cheap too. and you can use em over and over

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a small set of easy outs today and some jb weld. I'll give both a shot this weekend.

watch a video on tapping a hole, useful for any motorcycle owner most bikes sooner or later get stripped threads usually in aluminum. a tap is like a super hard bolt that cuts treads into holes you just tread it in like a bolt. there cheap too. and you can use em over and over
Sounds intriguing but maybe I should start small. :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The easy outs just chewed through the screw head. I tried jb weld and let it cure for 2 full days and the bit just snapped right off today. This blows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If a peg bolt then very likely loctited from factory. Try the tightest fitting Allen or Torx tool, get a good one that won't snap, from my trade and experience Snap On tools comes to mind, expensive but worth it when the you get down to the nitty gritty, put a pair of vise grips on the outside of the head if possible, as tight as you can get the jaws, that will squeeze the tool bit into the socket. And of course, Loctite will let go when heated. If you have access to oxy-acetylene torches try a #1 or smaller tip and heat into center of capscrew head with a very narrow flame. The heat will permeate the capscrew and loosen the loctite. If removed while still quite warm, it will probably spin out real easy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If a peg bolt then very likely loctited from factory. Try the tightest fitting Allen or Torx tool, get a good one that won't snap, from my trade and experience Snap On tools comes to mind, expensive but worth it when the you get down to the nitty gritty, put a pair of vise grips on the outside of the head if possible, as tight as you can get the jaws, that will squeeze the tool bit into the socket. And of course, Loctite will let go when heated. If you have access to oxy-acetylene torches try a #1 or smaller tip and heat into center of capscrew head with a very narrow flame. The heat will permeate the capscrew and loosen the loctite. If removed while still quite warm, it will probably spin out real easy.
Hope this helps.
The previous owner removed the rear pegs and screwed the bolts back in. Not sure if he added loctite again but it seems excessive compared to other bolts I've inspected. I did try other bits but the hole is round. There's nothing left to grip. I did try heating the bolt with a soldering iron at the front and back of the bolt and used vice grips to turn the other end of the bolt inside the frame, and no go. I've gotten the vice grips on the bolt head a couple of times but being round, it slips off easily.

I have jb weld going again since I have nothing better to do. I'll probably have to find a shop to weld a nut to the head or drill it out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts