Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how to install a Baron 3 inch tachometer on my Vstar 950. I have the adapter and trying to follow the instructions but confused as to which is the positive and negative terminals at the bottom of each coil.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

Can I safely assume the wire with the black connecter is the negative terminal for each coil?

Watch Light Product Font Gadget

Where would I connect the red and blue wire on the bike. Could I use the positive terminal of one coil?

I dont want to create any issues with my bike by guessing.

· Registered
19 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am trying to figure out how to install a Baron 3 inch tachometer on my Vstar 950. I have the adapter and trying to follow the instructions but confused as to which is the positive and negative terminals at the bottom of each coil. View attachment 119361

Can I safely assume the wire with the black connecter is the negative terminal for each coil?

View attachment 119362

Where would I connect the red and blue wire on the bike. Could I use the positive terminal of one coil?

I dont want to create any issues with my bike by guessing.
I spoke to someone with stereo wiring experience and they said I should do the following:

-Use the voltmeter to find the +ve terminal on the coil by first using it on the battery.
-Put black pole from voltmeter on black battery terminal and red pole from voltmeter on red battery terminal and you should see 12V on voltmeter screen
-Next put black pole from voltmeter on bike frame to ground it and red pole from voltmeter on each of the coil terminals and which give 12V on voltmeter screen is the +ve (this assumes the bike is either started or ignition is on)

To wire up the adapter and tach he suggested this based on the pics above:
-Ground the tach (black wire) on the top bolt on coil bracket
-Twine red and blue wires on tach together
-Connect red and blue tach wires to +ve of any coil
-Connect green tach wire to green adapter wire
-Connect yellow adapter wire to -ve of front coil (i beleive the rear coil is the one on the left side)
-Connect blue adapter wire to -ve of rear coil

Could this work?

· Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40, 1967 Yamaha YSC1, 2022 KTM 690 SMC-R
601 Posts
Reaction score
Hi, did you ever install it? I just bought one, trying to figure out the install.

· Registered
19 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, did you ever install it? I just bought one, trying to figure out the install.
Hi, yes i actually got it installed but removed it after due to the needle bounce.
I used the female spade connectors which made it much easier to undo and allows you to install without cutting the stock coilpac wires.

Tool Cylinder Fashion accessory Magenta Passive circuit component

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
Hi, yes i actually got it installed but removed it after due to the needle bounce.
I used the female spade connectors which made it much easier to undo and allows you to install without cutting the stock coilpac wires.
Can you elaborate on the needle bounce please?

· Registered
19 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you elaborate on the needle bounce please?
At idle the tach needle would not be stationery at the idle rpm but would be bouncing up and down between say 1000 and 2000 rpm.
Once you rev the bike the tach responses but doesnt stay stationery at the idle rpm once you release the throttle.

· Registered
4 Posts
Reaction score
Could you provide details on how you did your install?
Just want to ensure the issues I experienced wasnt related to my installation method.
The cobra is a unique model for this bike. It's a little different. It doesn't required any adapters. BUT I was specifically looking for Cobra cause when I make research, many peoples claimed the same trouble as yours with Baron.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Cobra, you have a better chance of finding Gold.... Let's say you do though, the thing is you DO NOT need a Tach Adaptor with the Cobra, nice and smooth. I will not install a Tachometer that needs a "Tach adaptor" to function. The Cobra gives the right RPM indication without any bounce of the needle. Nice and smoooooth...

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
I read that the baron tach adapter isn't accurate, and causes the needle bounce. I bought an adapter from Split Second, which is supposed to be be much better, I will attempt to install it this coming weekend.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
I read that the baron tach adapter isn't accurate, and causes the needle bounce. I bought an adapter from Split Second, which is supposed to be be much better, I will attempt to install it this coming weekend.

Both my last bikes had aftermarket tachometers, one cobra and one was a generic bikers choice tach, both worked without adaptors. I played around with adapters and tach's, bought some, made some etc. No matter what i did, i got needle bounce. Swore i would never go down the rabbit hole again.

Cobra worked to bad it had a white face. Found one once for the V-star 1300 (Cobra 01-1725) used on Ebay. It was used and abused, looked like it had been outside for years and the chrome was all pitted, it was pitiful. Never seen any of them since that one time.

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
Just finished installing my Baron tach with the Splitsecond adapter. So far looks to be stable, but I wont be able to properly test it until next week - my throttle body is half apart, waiting for a replacement ISC valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts