Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so basically im in the market for some new ape bars for my 650 i currently have 12" mini apes and want to upgrade to 16" apes. The problem im having is an understanding of the size needed to fit my bike. Im seeing 16" apes in 1 1/4" , 1 1/2" , 1" and am not sure if they will fit. My understanding is it dosnt matter what size they are aslong as its an 1" at the clamps and grips for the controls, can someone help me out eith this and give me an answer as to what sizes will fot my xvs650 thanks guys..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hi guys so basically im in the market for some new ape bars for my 650 i currently have 12" mini apes and want to upgrade to 16" apes. The problem im having is an understanding of the size needed to fit my bike. Im seeing 16" apes in 1 1/4" , 1 1/2" , 1" and am not sure if they will fit. My understanding is it dosnt matter what size they are aslong as its an 1" at the clamps and grips for the controls, can someone help me out eith this and give me an answer as to what sizes will fot my xvs650 thanks guys..
it definitely matters what size you order. the 650 uses one inch so you need one inch bars ,unless your changing risers and grips to a larger size. when you see bar sizes it's the size of the entire bar.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have Barons 16" Kong bars on my Roadstar and love them. They are 1&1/4" tubing and stepped down to 1" at the grip and riser. They also make them specifically for your bike. I like the bigger tubing and think the 1" apes look too skinny. If you buy bars not specifically for your bike, you just need to make sure the riser spacing will work especially if you go with a bigger tubing. Good luck.

https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/761/index.html

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i didn't know there were step down bars out there, if i can find them a little cheaper than $200 i just might do the swap. i can see how getting the riser spacing wrong would make the bars look bad or not mount at all. also the tapered length at the grips would need to be long enough for the clutch perch and the brake master cylinder not just the grips. so measuring is critical before you buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts