Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Here we go! To do list and sparkplug / oil filter help.

446 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  wpistulka
Like I said in my introduction post, I am a research type. I prefer input from actual users and not promoted sources.

2007 V-star 1300 Tour

With that said, this is what I've gleaned so far.
In this order, we are replacing:

Stock exhaust to the Cobra 2275 slip on
Baron Big Air intake
Ivan's flashing for the ecu

Now the other stuff I am doing (we as in I am teaching Jr) is the oil change, sparkplugs.

So, I am settled on Amsoil 20w40 it's a bit spendy but I actually manage an auto part store and get it at cost.
and where I am stuck a little is sparkplugs and the oil filter.

I am an absolute bear on quality and will not skimp.

So, plugs, I know the NGK 4908 is the new number for the LMAR7A9 so there is that, but is there a better choice on material type vs standard nickel you guys use?
And I will have to read the owners manual for the gap and torque..antisieze is mandatory. (9 foot-pounds and gap is 0.31 to .035)

As far as filters, I see K&N mentioned but if you mention fram I will include you to be equated to my ex-wife's family. (don't go there in short) lol

So, filter brand thoughts?

Bill

ps I increased my font for you old guys like me. :LOL:

PPS, there are mainly only 4 oil major oil manufacturers left in the usa.

See less See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
We all have our preferences on brand items. I'm a bit frugal so tend to shop around and see what I can find suitable and don't always use the same thing every time. When I got my Road Star the guy I bought it from suggested Quicksilver (ie Mercury Marine) V-Twin 20-50 Motorcycle oil. I used it and was happy with it. Met the mark for wet clutch etc. But it's gone up significantly in price recently from previous purchases. So I opted to go with Shell Rotella T 15-40 as it too meets the wet clutch spec and many in the Road Star world tend to speak favorably of it. It's available most anywhere and pretty reasonably priced compared to other products.

I've always liked Wix filters. Not the cheapest but generally known to be good filters. I get them from an online source and order several for different vehicles/equipment I have to save on shipping. Makes them very affordable that way as well.

I haven't read this personally but thought I'd heard that the NGK plugs were already treated for anti-seize properties and additional wasn't needed? If you do use some be careful on your torque as most values in the manual are for dry bolts.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Most modern spark plugs, NGK specifically, state do not use anti-seize. They've corrected those issues.
Reactions: 1
We all have our preferences on brand items. I'm a bit frugal so tend to shop around and see what I can find suitable and don't always use the same thing every time. When I got my Road Star the guy I bought it from suggested Quicksilver (ie Mercury Marine) V-Twin 20-50 Motorcycle oil. I used it and was happy with it. Met the mark for wet clutch etc. But it's gone up significantly in price recently from previous purchases. So I opted to go with Shell Rotella T 15-40 as it too meets the wet clutch spec and many in the Road Star world tend to speak favorably of it. It's available most anywhere and pretty reasonably priced compared to other products.

I've always liked Wix filters. Not the cheapest but generally known to be good filters. I get them from an online source and order several for different vehicles/equipment I have to save on shipping. Makes them very affordable that way as well.

I haven't read this personally but thought I'd heard that the NGK plugs were already treated for anti-seize properties and additional wasn't needed? If you do use some be careful on your torque as most values in the manual are for dry bolts.
Good point on the torque for dry.
....As far as filters, I see K&N mentioned but if you mention fram I will include you to be equated to my ex-wife's family. (don't go there in short) lol

So, filter brand thoughts?....
At risk of being banished to the ex in-laws (are they good cooks?), I always recommend WalMart SuperTech oil filters. I am sometimes subjected to howls of derision and disbelief from some folks, but excellent performance at great price point is always a win to me. Every review I've read and mechanical dissection I've seen indicates that they are a thoroughly competent filter at an extremely low price point. I have run them on my bikes, cars and trucks for many years and have never had a problem with fit, finish or performance. 130k on a car, over 130k on 2 bikes, 50k+ on a truck, 80k on a CUV.
K&N 147 . The nut for removal with a wrench is great because of where the filter is located. The air/exhaust & Ivan's is a thing of beauty!
--
The two oil filters I use are Purolator Pure One and Fram Ultra Synthetic. I think if you do some research, you will find the Ultra Synthetic to be one of the best filters out there. Don't just go by the bottom of the line ones they sold for many years.
--
At risk of being banished to the ex in-laws (are they good cooks?), I always recommend WalMart SuperTech oil filters. I am sometimes subjected to howls of derision and disbelief from some folks, but excellent performance at great price point is always a win to me. Every review I've read and mechanical dissection I've seen indicates that they are a thoroughly competent filter at an extremely low price point. I have run them on my bikes, cars and trucks for many years and have never had a problem with fit, finish or performance. 130k on a car, over 130k on 2 bikes, 50k+ on a truck, 80k on a CUV.
No they can't cook and burn water and have no ability to read the recipe for ice cubes. I did ALL the cooking over the holidays. Started with just 4 of us for holidays, then it grew to 6, then 10, then 14 and last it was up to 20 some by the time the divorce rolled around. Let's say I enjoy holidays more now. My kids went to the ex's for the first holiday after the divorce and they had a gamey deer haunch instead of turkey. They were so hungry when they got home I made them an entire thanksgiving meal, pie and all. We still talk about that to this day. A few years later, my son told me my former nephew made the remark "I miss uncle's cooking" LOL

WIX is good, and some are actually out-sourced to Mann and Hummel. I am picky due to quality of the anti-drain back abilities has to be top notch.

--
The two oil filters I use are Purolator Pure One and Fram Ultra Synthetic. I think if you do some research, you will find the Ultra Synthetic to be one of the best filters out there. Don't just go by the bottom of the line ones they sold for many years.
--
I do a lot of research and I've ran into too many design flaws and manufacturing defects from fram to never trust them ever. I won't even carry fram in my retail store I manage.

K&N 147 . The nut for removal with a wrench is great because of where the filter is located. The air/exhaust & Ivan's is a thing of beauty!
I am leaning towards the K&N.

I manage a auto part store and am blessed to have access to parts and such. We do carry wix but it's packaged as napa gold filters. Now there is a step above the napa gold and that's the NAPA Platinum filter. The main differences between a gold filter and a platinum filter is the media type. A napa gold is an "enhanced" cellulose or paper whereas a platinum filter is a true synthethic media and wil not break down over time or use. I think if you change oil and filter every 2.5 to 3k miles the media type is irrelevant as you are changing it before the paper starts to degrade. BUT one thing people forget is that cellulose or paper subjected to just oil is one thing, but additives in the oil may have some detrimental effects on paper media where synthetic will not suffer a break down at all. People think, oh I can go further past the 3k mark for an oil change, and technically, they can as a true synthetic oil won't start breaking down like conventional oil does at around 3k.
Could you go 4k miles with a synthetic oil and filter combo? Yes. Should you? I don't know. I think servicing your bike at 3k lets you get your eyes on things before you have an issue.
I've blathered on enough. I am using Amsoil 20W40 and a K&N filter. I got a package deal first oil order and got a Amsoil filter. Upon inspection and reading it is very high quality. To be clear, I do NOT carry amsoil and am not a vendor for them.
Bill
See less See more
SuperTech ST7317 discontinued many, many moons ago. Have they been re-introduced?
I switched to the Bosch 3323 (3.25" long) for a bit, not even sure what's on the bike right now. Probably an oem filter.
for my 950 i get my oil filter from Amsoil when i'm getting my oil, and the 1300 uses the same size - EAOM103.
and i switched to NGK CPR7EAIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug so i pretty much don't have to change out spark plugs again since they are supposed to last 100k miles, and iridium gets better spark.
SuperTech ST7317 discontinued many, many moons ago. Have they been re-introduced?
I switched to the Bosch 3323 (3.25" long) for a bit, not even sure what's on the bike right now. Probably an oem filter.
I just checked WalMart online and they show an MP 7317 in stock. It appears to be spec'd for 20k miles and costs more than the ST line ($5.98 vs. $3.48). I use ST6607 and I've never had a problem getting one. The 6607 at 2.6" is almost an inch shorter, but otherwise resembles the 7317.

Several web sources say the ST9688 is a suitable replacement for the ST7317, but not sure how deep down that rabbit hole I want to go.

WalMart's search engine is sketchy at best......I got returns for Keto Yogurt and other oddities when searching "SuperTech ST-7317". :oops:
I just checked WalMart online and they show an MP 7317 in stock. It appears to be spec'd for 20k miles and costs more than the ST line ($5.98 vs. $3.48). I use ST6607 and I've never had a problem getting one. The 6607 at 2.6" is almost an inch shorter, but otherwise resembles the 7317.

Several web sources say the ST9688 is a suitable replacement for the ST7317, but not sure how deep down that rabbit hole I want to go.

WalMart's search engine is sketchy at best......I got returns for Keto Yogurt and other oddities when searching "SuperTech ST-7317". :oops:
Thanks for info. I'll take a look at the 6607's.
for my 950 i get my oil filter from Amsoil when i'm getting my oil, and the 1300 uses the same size - EAOM103.
and i switched to NGK CPR7EAIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug so i pretty much don't have to change out spark plugs again since they are supposed to last 100k miles, and iridium gets better spark.
Converted to the new NGK numbering system is now 9198. Awesome mate!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts