Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is definitely more stress on the handlebar when it's a trike. I proved it yesterday when I had to do a slow speed left turn in town yesterday. The left side broke free and pulled into my side. Luck was with me as the right side was still rather tight and while going under 35 mph, made the 15 mile trip home. Anyone else ran into this problem? I TIG welded the crack and break together, then primed the center section for painting today. I do believe the combination of addition force needed to turn at low speed and those vibration dampeners allowing the bar to move (does't add any strength between the two risers) allowed leverage to be applied in the center and break. Of course having the hole for the wires and from what I could see, the edges of the holes were not cleaned up, and the handlebar is much thinner than I expected, I understand why it broke. I'll be looking for a replacement handlebar after my ride in April.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Wow man, glad yer ok. Coulda been ugly if happened when goin faster. Looks like it had been cracked for some time before letting go. And yeah does look like very thin wall tubing. Most definitely time to replace.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will not go with OEM if possible. My plans are to find out what the rise and pullback are for stock bars and then look for ones to match. Before settling on one, I will ask for the metal thickness at the wire exit hole. Of course that is subject to slight change if I can get an OEM bar for cheap/free. I can then run a TIG bead around the wire hole to reinforcement.
But when it happened I was actually more surprised than scared at first. Though while headed home the right bar was getting looser as the miles went by.
Anyone want me to post pic's of the "skid marks"? Might need a WIDE angle lens...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will not go with OEM if possible. My plans are to find out what the rise and pullback are for stock bars and then look for ones to match.
What if you go OEM and pull them back a bit.

I can see where the risers may have multiplied the stress as you mention above. That's entirely different on at trike. On 2 wheels there is little input compared to the trike. What outfit is the trike kit? You may want to show them the photos and see what they think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It isn't a kit. This is the Expedition rear axle I modified and built my trike from. The handlebar had been modified by the prior owner for more pull back, which looking at the flattened bends, makes me quite sure the center section had been placed under stress it wasn't designed for. Flattened bends means it was probably done with a bench vise and pipe. Still, the handlebar wall thickness is far to thin for my liking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts