Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....usually, one thing leads to another...and the same can be said for four motorcycling married couples that had simply a grand time shared together riding from the Toronto area over to Lake Huron (Wasaga Beach), and then when we were taking dinner at an outside patio Pub, heading back to the G.T.A., I started talking about my wife and I had taken a Fall Tour Ride that encapsulated Manitoulin Island, and I RAVED on about it,,., as is my M.O., so guess what? Yep...we all are going (same couples and bikes as my Off to see the Wizard post) to ride up to Tobermory, take the Ferry over...have that fabulous Prime Rib Buffet they put on, for the evening run to 'Manny', and then will book into a Lodge for the night. From there, we will tour the island, rent some Kayaks (if everybody wants...) and then, leaving the north end of the Island, onto the mainland, will hit the Trans Canada Highway, and head over towards Sudbury, where there is lots to do there, Big Nickel Mine, stuff like that...tour around, and then head down through Parry Sound, (great place to get off the bikes, stretch the legs, and have some Pickerel 'n Chips!), and then home for everybody, and bikes into garages.

So, will be glad to have that high-back HEATED back rest, warmth for the butt, and grips for the palms and fingers. My wife LOVES that she has heat from her mid back (shoulder blades, right down to that cute bottom of hers...the one I like to sometimes softly pinch, with the resultant hand slap, and 'eye look', lol. "Ah...she loves that....!" So, here's to the great early Spring and Late Fall amenities aboard the best and most featured Grand Touring Mount, ever produced...from any manufacturer. On creature comforts, Yamaha's SVTC's hits it right outta the park!

So, we all started talking excitedly around the Pub dining table, with some picking up their Cell Phones, to check out Google Maps, on 'Manny', and to start discussion on where we might want to saddle break, food breaks, and as they say, that was that!

Fall riding...my wife and I both feel is the best time of the year....warm days, cool nights...for riding a motorcycle, the 'Stuff of Dreams'.....:coffee::giggle:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree fall is the best riding season. Bikes always seem to run better with the fall air. Upstate New York can be real pretty in the fall.
I totally agree Scooter, we have come over through Buffalo, and have toured the Finger Lakes. Simply fabulous touring in those parts! Will want to do that again, sometime, fer sure.

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
526 Posts
I've been wanting to do that loop for several years myself. One tip I've heard is to bring your own tie downs for the ferry crossing because what's provided can be sketchy ar best. Consider from Sudbury on to North Bay, and south from there.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to do that loop for several years myself. One tip I've heard is to bring your own tie downs for the ferry crossing because what's provided can be sketchy ar best. Consider from Sudbury on to North Bay, and south from there.
For the three times we have crossed over from once, Tobermory to Manny, and the other two times, from Manny to Tobermory, we always used the provided tie downs. They are very sturdy, but, there certainly is no harm, to use what YOU want for your tie downs. When you arrive at either docks, Tobermory, or on the south end spit of Manny, they (the staff) will direct you into the front of the line, for boarding. All bikes go towards the bow, and there are the tie down deck sections, where you have 6 tie downs deck cleats, ,..two at the front tire, two mid way, and two at the back. When upon arrival and docking at the Ferry docks at either Manny or Tobermory, you have to be ready to start rolling as all bikes are first on, and first off. It is a great courtesy that they provide riders. Also, Jo, you might want to call the Ferry Service, and ask them which day (usually Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and on what sailing do they offer the Prime Rib Buffet. The last time we had that, it was on a Friday night and the ship sailed from Tobermory at 17:00 hours, and the Buffet in the dining room was up and running for when you came up from the vehicle deck, and decided what you wanted to do...eat, or just sit in the lounge chairs for the cruise. They also have a wonderful bar...so....between the AWESOME scenery of all the tiny islands you will traverse through...you could be eating a great slab of Prime Rib, (the chef's really do it right!!!) great sides, and a nice glass of wine, or beer. Try to grab a table RIGHT BESIDE those huge windows, and trust me...there is much to see crossing through the channels. BTW, be glad that you are on a huge Ferry, for you will be cruising over many 'graves' of 19th century wooden sailing ships, that the currents and storms in the channel within the Ides of October, put to the bottom. Getting back to that yummy Buffet, we always try to time our cruise for that Buffet. It's THAT GOOD! Also, Manny is known for two pastimes, kayaking, and there are two horseback riding 'dude ranches' with some gorgeous cliff side trails. They have horses for all rider skill sets, from steady Eddie's, to uh..er...'spirited'. We horseback ride at home, so do enjoy a more athletic mount. They have very nice horses who are sure footed for the trails...and in the Fall, hardly a 'vampire' in the sky...

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,738 Posts
Still hitting 100f most days here. Some Autumn sounds great.

We have 4 seasons. Spring, Summer, Super Summer, and Fall.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Still hitting 100f most days here. Some Autumn sounds great.

We have 4 seasons. Spring, Summer, Super Summer, and Fall.
When we retire back to Fountain Hills. AZ..it will be the same for us... :) That's one of the reasons that we want to settle down in the white-hair years, in Arizona...bike riding, and horseback. When there, visiting family we do both. BTW..a little known tidbit about Phoenix...amongst all the subdivisions, there are lee-ways for horses. There always has been since the 40's and 50's...when true expansion of populace started taking place. You can actually horse-back ride to the very heart of Phoenix via these trails and water shed channels in amongst the miles upon miles of subdivisions. You can't take your horses out onto the roadways....(well some you can..but)...but you can visit other friends and family that have gates opening to their back yards to the trails...so you can hitch post your ride...and visit. We have done that...and what a hoot when people see four or five riders with Stetsons on...western saddles...walk past their back yard fence, if it is not the solid concrete type, but iron railing. We wave, "I say in my best fake Houston Drawl..."howdy!"...and they smile. Yeah, it's fake...but so is the 'howdy' from most of the Hollywood blokes...lol! Life is good, bpounds...max it out, where and when, you can...for the Dirt Nap cometh.... :)

Joe

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang, this is FUNNY! ...in a way...quite true...how many grandma/grandpa/retirees cars flood the north Ontario roads, starting about this time of year....lol! Thanks for posting! LOLOLOLOLOL! We are just about (after a horrendous T-storm around the Great Lakes last night!!!!) to pack Red21 up, and head out for a trip up (somewhere) north today. Going to be around 77F, sunny/partly sky...and mid week, only should be 'grey hairs' and Road Knights in front of us. Yes...I/we always are on deer/moose alert...oh, and those small round things...ground hogs that can roll under your front tire, and make you go sideways! Those, too! Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts