Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched this on some other bikes, but didn't see anything on this topic in this community

2018 Yamaha Eluder, i have a pair of tab performance slip ons and added speakers and amps, only realy modifications

Me and wife went for a ride yesterday, i noticed that when i took off in first gear the bike seems to hesitate, at first I thought it was just me being realy slow on the clutch since it has been awhile since i have ridden with my wife as a passenger, so i chucked it up to me being cautious

but later in the ride, i shifted in 4th and gunned it and the bike hesitated, it felt like it wasn't getting fuel, i may not be describing this the best way, but hesitation is the only word i can think of to describe what happened, now as the ride progressed, i didn't notice it anymore, it is raining in my neck of the woods this weekend, so it will be a few days before I ride again

I will see if this continues, but wanted to see if any of my fellow venture/eluder riders have experienced anything like this before i make a service appointment

my first thought was bad gas, but i am not very mechanically minded

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
343 Posts
Before you take it to the dealer, try putting some Seafoam in some fresh gas and run a tankful through it .
It may or may not help but it's cheep and you get to ride it more.
Seriously, many people on this forum have been helped with Seafoam !

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I occasionally get a hesitation but I think only when I am in touring mode.
if we are talking the same thing it is almost like it cuts off or almost a shut down. If so than yes I get this from time to time and occasionally at a light when I go to take off it is almost like the bike is going to stall and a small backfire. I haven’t really notice this in sport mode.
I have used redline fuel cleaner.
that seems to help, also if I sit still to long like at a light I will twist the throttle alittle to make sure I don’t get the hesitation.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Before you take it to the dealer, try putting some Seafoam in some fresh gas and run a tankful through it .
I’ve had 3 different dealerships tell me NOT to use Seafoam. One showed me what it did to the gas. Wouldn’t touch the stuff.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
I agree with @GARider . The only time I’ve seen a “hesitation” is when trying to take off hard while in touring mode, or while trying to take off in too high a gear but also still while in touring mode.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
I’ve had 3 different dealerships tell me NOT to use Seafoam. One showed me what it did to the gas. Wouldn’t touch the stuff.
Yamaha does make, sell and recommend a fuel injector treatment. It's actually a much stronger chemical composition than Seafoam. Seems Seafoam would be more than safe since it's lower concentrate. Guess my two local dealers have been miss informed.

Seafoam:

Reactions: Bucfan11

·
Super Moderator
8,015 Posts
Funny you mention seafoam ChiefGunner, when I recently had the RoadStar dyno’d, the mechanic told me to never use seafoam, but I’ve had excellent results with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
Was just thinking on this a little more. Might be a regional thing. With our high humidity and fuel tank storage condensation due to high ambient temperatures a fuel treatment might be needed to control moisture contamination in bikes tank.

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
466 Posts
SeaFoam is like Elvis Presley... 50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong !?

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Yamaha does make, sell and recommend a fuel injector treatment. It's actually a much stronger chemical composition than Seafoam. Seems Seafoam would be more than safe since it's lower concentrate. Guess my two local dealers have been miss informed.

View attachment 99520

View attachment 99523

View attachment 99521

Seafoam:

View attachment 99522
Les, I’m just repeating what I was told.
I figured I might want to listen to the guys who just replaced my engine.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You did say you changed the mufflers to slip ons. You might be running lean. Can you do an Ivan's flash on the Eluder?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Funny you mention seafoam ChiefGunner, when I recently had the RoadStar dyno’d, the mechanic told me to never use seafoam, but I’ve had excellent results with it.

Humm I see what is happening here.
Mechanics are telling you not to use something that works, might be because the mechanics know something and that something is that it probably works and that’s not good for business. Just saying. 😷😁
I have only used the redline gas treatment so far.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
734 Posts
I would probualy look for a air leak first. I use wd 40 and spray it around the manifolds to see if I get a change in engine speed. Good luck hope ya find it.

·
Super Moderator
8,015 Posts
Excellent point GArider! BTW, wasn’t ‘Hesitation on Acceleration’ a song recorded by the Mothers of Invention?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think that is before my time anyway if it isn’t a song it should be. I can hear a song brewing.....

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Just how long do I have to wait , I have the Hesitation Blues

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2018 Eluder GT has occasionally "coughed" when starting forward in 1st gear, and the engine quit at least one time. For what it's worth, when Yamaha had demo-days at my local dealer, one of their reps told me that if I want to get rid of start-up hesitation, have my mechanic by-pass the emissions canister. He didn't have time to elaborate and I still haven't made any changes. The canister is noted on Page 9-12 of the Owner's Manual, and its hose routing label is shown on Page 1-3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback, not the first time i have seen comments pro and con on seafoam, i did a little digging and it seems that some of the "Cons" come from using the incorrect amount, the weather is going to clear up this week down here in NC, so I am going to get the bike back out and see if this hesitation happens again

Regarding the comment above about an Ivan flash, i wish he had a one for our bikes, i called him late last year, he is an interesting dude, but he didn't give me any indication that he was going to run out and buy a venture or eluder and do his thing, maybe one day he will, i know others who have had him do their bikes (other models and brands), and they say it is like daylight and dark in performance

I have considered buying and installing one of those power commander/dynojet, but i have had so many tell me they are a complete waste of money, but then i will have someone tell me it did wonders for their bike

In terms of running lean, i have had those slip on on the bike since March of this year and this is the first i have experienced this situation, I am just hoping i got into a bad batch of fuel

I will comment again if I still see this happening

·
Registered
104 Posts
A follow-up: yesterday my Eluder GT (all stock) coughed and almost quit while negotiating a corner in 2nd gear, Sport mode, relatively low RPM's. Weather condition was perfect (dry and 68 deg.). Bike had only been running for 2-3 minutes when this occurred. I am now very motivated to apprise the dealer of this gremlin and find out about the merits/demerits of by-passing that emissions canister.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts