Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
A follow-up: yesterday my Eluder GT (all stock) coughed and almost quit while negotiating a corner in 2nd gear, Sport mode, relatively low RPM's. Weather condition was perfect (dry and 68 deg.). Bike had only been running for 2-3 minutes when this occurred. I am now very motivated to apprise the dealer of this gremlin and find out about the merits/demerits of by-passing that emissions canister.
My Venture does the same thing. Usually left hand turn after stop sign or red light right after a shift into second gear. It has only done it 20-30 times in 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
I too have noticed this cough, slight backfire, almost kill the engine thing on my new bike...I just picked it up December 30th, in Utah, and have not ridden it as much as I would have liked - so far I'm only at 875 miles and it is still happening. I was thinking that maybe they didn't really tune it for below freezing temps or something - it doesn't seem to happen as often when completely warmed up but it still does once in a while. I am going to look into that Yamalube version of injector cleaner and try that. I was thinking that it has been sitting at the dealership for almost 3 years now and probably with the same quarter gallon of fuel in it...I did go straight across the street and filled it up with fresh fuel before taking it home but I think some injector cleaner would be a good idea - at least that is what it feels like. I am personally not a fan of seafoam for an injector cleaner but it does have a good use as a fuel dryer, like the old Heat bottles used to do. I'll swing by Yamaha today and see if they stock this fuel cleaner and try that. I've also considered a power commander with the closed loop system and auto tune...I have used that on some of my other bikes and it is has worked pretty good...the open loop systems are tricky to set up but the closed loop auto tune systems I like quite a bit.

·
Registered
Star Eluder
237 Posts
If you are swinging by Yamaha today maybe ask them about it? Use that 5 year warranty!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
If you are swinging by Yamaha today maybe ask them about it? Use that 5 year warranty!

This Yamaha dealerships service department will NEVER see my bike, I care about it too much! I'll go there for parts, as long as I already know the part number that I'm after, but that's about it! In fact...I would love to see a thread of what good service departments at which dealerships there are out there... I travel quite a bit and would not mind stopping in to a known good service department somewhere along the way...

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Don't go to Yamaha Pensacola,go to Ft Walton down here.
V Twins will always have that occasional pop. Harley's have it, I know Yamaha has it. If it happens too often, fuel or plugs. But it is they just happen to have some place in the stroke design it is a dead spot .

·
Registered
Star Eluder
237 Posts
This Yamaha dealerships service department will NEVER see my bike, I care about it too much! I'll go there for parts, as long as I already know the part number that I'm after, but that's about it! In fact...I would love to see a thread of what good service departments at which dealerships there are out there... I travel quite a bit and would not mind stopping in to a known good service department somewhere along the way...
Well.....I have not brought my Eluder anywhere yet but I had good luck with Team Motorsports in Depere Wisconsin. They sold and serviced my Royal Star Tour Deluxe from New till I sold it last year. Always were good to me..... I've heard lots of horror stories about trash Yamaha shops though so I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to go to one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe these hesitations are from Fuel Cut Off. Ivan's Performance has this to say. Ivan's Performance Products

What is"Fuel Cut" ??

Demonstration Videos here:

Please be sure to read my comments below each video

Enabled:
Live datalog Enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBznc8yXJc

Disabled:
Live datalog Disabled:

"Fuel cut" happens when you close the throttle anytime above a preset rpm that is programmed into your bike's ECU, in other words the injectors will stop during decel.... effectively turning the engine off.... just the same as if you turned the igniton switch off.
Upon re-application of the throttle, there is a time delay as your injectors start back up and the time it takes to re-wet the intake tract, and combustion chamber. This can easily bee seen in the videos as well.

The rider feels this as a delay and jerky response from closed throttle.... this is especially important while leaned over in a turn or trying to re-apply the throttle from the closed position.

Fuel cut can also be heard and seen with an aftermarket exhaust as a loud pop/bang/flame and jerk when the injectors come back on as you re-apply the throttle from the closed position.... as can be seen in the videos above.

Bikes with stock exhaust and/or catalyst still in place may not see the or hear the flame/popping,
but the throttle feel and behavior will still be the same as in the videos.

The reasoning behind shutting the fuel off on decel (basically turning the engine off) is:
If the throttle is closed, then why keep the engine running?
The sole purpose of fuel cut is for reducing emissions.

When the fuel is turned off, engine braking and throttle tip-in cannot be adjusted because the engine is not actually running. To be running, an engine needs 3 things, fuel, air and ignition.... If you remove any of these 3 things, the engine isn't running. This is why when the injectors stop, it's the same thing as if you turned off the key, or the kill switch.

So, with stock ECU programming, or programming that has not disabled fuel cut, you are actually turning the fuel on and off with the throttle as you decel and re-apply the throttle.... This can easily be heard and felt while you are riding.

No amount of fuel adjustments, cable adjustments, or replacement throttle tubes will solve the jerky throttle response that fuel cut causes.... They cannot because the engine isn't running during decel.

You can ALWAYS feel it when the injectors stop and restart every time you close and re-apply the throttle when fuel cut is enabled.

I have included diasbling fuel cut for your bikes in all my ECU programming that I offer to you.
As a result there is a very marked difference as to how much better the entire bike responds and behaves under any riding condition.... This includes all aspects of handling and changing gears because the bike doesn't pitch back and forth on it's suspension as the engine goes from running... to off... and back on again...every time you manipulate the throttle.

This just takes all the fun out of enjoying being leaned over in a corner trying to re-apply the throttle without upsetting your line, or your concentration while trying to manuver in traffic quickly, or your passenger banging their helmet into yours when changing gears.
By us disabling fuel cut, your bike is transformed into a perfectly smooth and predictable ride under any riding condition, and the rider can pay more attention to where he/she is going rather than how carerfully the unpredictable throttle is re-applied.

All models will benefit from no loud backfiring and jerky throttle upon throttle re-application when this annoyance is disabled.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
Maybe these hesitations are from Fuel Cut Off. Ivan's Performance has this to say. Ivan's Performance Products

What is"Fuel Cut" ??

Demonstration Videos here:

Please be sure to read my comments below each video

Enabled:
Live datalog Enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBznc8yXJc

Disabled:
Live datalog Disabled:

"Fuel cut" happens when you close the throttle anytime above a preset rpm that is programmed into your bike's ECU, in other words the injectors will stop during decel.... effectively turning the engine off.... just the same as if you turned the igniton switch off.
Upon re-application of the throttle, there is a time delay as your injectors start back up and the time it takes to re-wet the intake tract, and combustion chamber. This can easily bee seen in the videos as well.

The rider feels this as a delay and jerky response from closed throttle.... this is especially important while leaned over in a turn or trying to re-apply the throttle from the closed position.

Fuel cut can also be heard and seen with an aftermarket exhaust as a loud pop/bang/flame and jerk when the injectors come back on as you re-apply the throttle from the closed position.... as can be seen in the videos above.

Bikes with stock exhaust and/or catalyst still in place may not see the or hear the flame/popping,
but the throttle feel and behavior will still be the same as in the videos.

The reasoning behind shutting the fuel off on decel (basically turning the engine off) is:
If the throttle is closed, then why keep the engine running?
The sole purpose of fuel cut is for reducing emissions.

When the fuel is turned off, engine braking and throttle tip-in cannot be adjusted because the engine is not actually running. To be running, an engine needs 3 things, fuel, air and ignition.... If you remove any of these 3 things, the engine isn't running. This is why when the injectors stop, it's the same thing as if you turned off the key, or the kill switch.

So, with stock ECU programming, or programming that has not disabled fuel cut, you are actually turning the fuel on and off with the throttle as you decel and re-apply the throttle.... This can easily be heard and felt while you are riding.

No amount of fuel adjustments, cable adjustments, or replacement throttle tubes will solve the jerky throttle response that fuel cut causes.... They cannot because the engine isn't running during decel.

You can ALWAYS feel it when the injectors stop and restart every time you close and re-apply the throttle when fuel cut is enabled.

I have included diasbling fuel cut for your bikes in all my ECU programming that I offer to you.
As a result there is a very marked difference as to how much better the entire bike responds and behaves under any riding condition.... This includes all aspects of handling and changing gears because the bike doesn't pitch back and forth on it's suspension as the engine goes from running... to off... and back on again...every time you manipulate the throttle.

This just takes all the fun out of enjoying being leaned over in a corner trying to re-apply the throttle without upsetting your line, or your concentration while trying to manuver in traffic quickly, or your passenger banging their helmet into yours when changing gears.
By us disabling fuel cut, your bike is transformed into a perfectly smooth and predictable ride under any riding condition, and the rider can pay more attention to where he/she is going rather than how carerfully the unpredictable throttle is re-applied.

All models will benefit from no loud backfiring and jerky throttle upon throttle re-application when this annoyance is disabled.
Mine only seems to happen after stopping and idling for a bit.... but that's interesting... and if anyone is curious the P1000 scan tool from Snap on is supposed to support 9 motorcycle manufacturers now... Yamaha being one of them...I borrowed it from my snap on rep so I could check fuel trims and temp sensor inputs... turns out that it does not support communicating with the Eluder... so that didn't work... lol

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,067 Posts
With all the electronic stuff on these new bikes, maybe it is the Police sensor kicking in and retarding the fuel so you don't get a ticket. :eek:

All kidding aside, I have seen on other fuel ejected bike forums something similar to what Ivan describes above. Correcting the fuel map and turning off the fuel cut may be the exact thing to fix this.

Reactions: bartives

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want to do away with the fuel cut out, throttle drop, hiccup, cough or whatever you are calling it just install the Power Commander V and download Dynojets fuel map for the stock bike or the map for the Tab Performance Exhaust if you have it. My bike had these issues and it took them all away. Now it runs like it should.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you want to do away with the fuel cut out, throttle drop, hiccup, cough or whatever you are calling it just install the Power Commander V and download Dynojets fuel map for the stock bike or the map for the Tab Performance Exhaust if you have it. My bike had these issues and it took them all away. Now it runs like it should.
I have been thinking about the Power Commander for awhile, I have the BAM Sticks and they sound great, but was waffling between the Power Commander or the Zombie Breath Intake, so you feel you got good results from the Power Commander? It was worth the $350...?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
I have been thinking about the Power Commander for awhile, I have the BAM Sticks and they sound great, but was waffling between the Power Commander or the Zombie Breath Intake, so you feel you got good results from the Power Commander? It was worth the $350...?
If you're looking for massive power gains probably not. It sure made mine run a lot better than it did when I bought the bike and I also really enjoy being able to move the rev limiter up 500rpm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If you're looking for massive power gains probably not. It sure made mine run a lot better than it did when I bought the bike and I also really enjoy being able to move the rev limiter up 500rpm.
Did you find the installation to be difficult or fairly straight forward?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
Did you find the installation to be difficult or fairly straight forward?
Honestly, I've installed a few and this one was a pain in the butt. You need hands of a surgeon if you follow the step by step directions... if I were to do this particular bike again I'd remove the fuel tank, which is a pain also but not as bad as not removing it I think. ... and finding the crank sensor connector was a little unclear in the picture and description. It's near the evap canister under about a 1.5inch rubber boot connector cover... tucked up in that boot and a little challenging to dig out... but all in all it was about a 3 hour job for the first time on this bike...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jumping in on this I whole heartedly recommend the PCV. It will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs. It turned my bike from stumbling, low speed, and throttle dropping to a machine that runs like you expect it to that you can rely on for the performance that its engineers designed to produce before the EPA sticks their hand in. Do it! There are two dyno maps that have been produced by Dynojet. One is for the stock bike with stock exhaust and intake and the other is for the stock bike with TAB Performance 2.5 slip on mufflers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Jumping in on this I whole heartedly recommend the PCV. It will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs. It turned my bike from stumbling, low speed, and throttle dropping to a machine that runs like you expect it to that you can rely on for the performance that its engineers designed to produce before the EPA sticks their hand in. Do it! There are two dyno maps that have been produced by Dynojet. One is for the stock bike with stock exhaust and intake and the other is for the stock bike with TAB Performance 2.5 slip on mufflers.
You have sold me on the Power Commander, but has any of you guys or anyone you know installed the zombie air intake?

·
Registered
Star Eluder
237 Posts
I like the looks of that zombie intake as well but think I'd hit my knee on it. At least with the stock intake it's rounded so it's not overly annoying hitting your leg on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the looks of that zombie intake as well but think I'd hit my knee on it. At least with the stock intake it's rounded so it's not overly annoying hitting your leg on it.

I know others who have installed the zombie intake. They lost power. If you use that your going to have to get o2 sensor cancellers and have it professionally dyno tuned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the PC V is a good alternative instead of an ECU flash that way if you need to remove it for warranty work you can. For me after just purchasing my new 2018 Eluder I don't want to compromise the 5 year warranty. However, for those out of warranty I cant recommend Ivan's Performance enough. He turned my Kawasaki Concours into a screaming beast.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Eluder
62 Posts
I think the PC V is a good alternative instead of an ECU flash that way if you need to remove it for warranty work you can. For me after just purchasing my new 2018 Eluder I don't want to compromise the 5 year warranty. However, for those out of warranty I cant recommend Ivan's Performance enough. He turned my Kawasaki Concours into a screaming beast.
Love it when people say if you need to remove it you can....I suppose but it's not a 5 minute job. Lol. I personally don't buy a bike for the manufacture, or the warranty, or the name...I buy it because I love the bike. If I want to modify it then I do, if it fails then why on earth would I want a warranty to put it back the way it was when it failed? Build it better to perform the way you wanted it to when you modified it... or just leave it alone and ride under a warranty and love life.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts