Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to the forums, and honestly I'm new to motorcycling. In fact I don't even have a license yet or the money to get a bike. But I came here in search of answers, particularly about the V-Star 250. Now I'd like to say that first off, I like the looks, and honestly the low power doesn't bother me that much (I'm not going to be racing or anything, I'm more casual driver focused), as from what I understand you are able to take it on the highway without much problem, though I'd most likely primarily use it for back roads. (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering if anyone could give me the basic gist of its capabilities, if there are any known problems with it, and if anyone on here owns one I'd love to hear their opinion of it. Thanks, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can't tell you jack about a 250 other than it is Yamaha, so good choice:cool: Your user name says something, your profile says nothing, tell us about you.:confused: Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
My wife put 5000 miles on a 2005 vstar250 with ever thing on it, and it would do 75 easy :D but it would bounce you a lot:eek: bout 150miles is all you would wont. Got 85 miles or so to the gallon. The first 500 mile was put on in my pasture. Traded for 650 and got the same money as I gave for it. Yes it is one good bike. and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys! Sugar Bear I got around to updating my profile. And farmalldanzil, I doubt I would be taking 150 mile straight trips with it, I've got a car that I would use for longer hauls. Around what speeds does the bouncing start to get annoying? Where I live 65 is the speed limit, I tend to keep steady at about 5 mph over that, but if necessary I'd knock it down for riding. Did you do any of that riding on the highway?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 250 powerplant. It will take you down the road at legal speeds and get you where you're going with wonderful economy. If you dismount a 250cc at 55mph, the result will be precisely the same as dismounting a 650, 1100, 1900 at 55mph. So think about an MSF course and see how a 250 feels to you in practice?:)

What will eventually become your "ideal" two wheel ride will more likely depend on your mission profile (commuter, tourer, weekend warrior, etc), your physique (tall short, gangly compact, svelte, +size, etc) and your motorcycle budget. And as you haven't entered into the world of motorcycling, you might or might not find it to your liking. In short (too late:() what you want out of your bike depends totally upon you.

All the rest of us can do is offer opinions; in the final analysis, yours is the only one that counts:)

And welcome, eh?:)

PS- I put 5500 miles on a 250 Rebel commuting to work and it works just as well on 2 lane, 4 lane, major or blue highways. 65mpg average.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I picked a good forum :) great responses you guys, once again I appreciate it. I'll most likely be a mix of commuter and weekend warrior, and I'm a skinny dude at about 5'7", 5'8", so I think this shorter profile bike would be beneficial. Like you said though, I'd have to try it out first. I know I'll definitely be back here with further questions!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard great people and info here. Springer pretty much said it and very nicely done I might say. Springer what's up ? no wise crack. Don't let us down. I need a laugh.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Welcome aboard great people and info here. Springer pretty much said it and very nicely done I might say. Springer what's up ? no wise crack. Don't let us down. I need a laugh.
G'Day and welcome aboard Classic, you will enjoy this forum.

HD, if you need a laugh just ask Springer about his ABBA fettish's.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

No shame in starting with a 250cc. It makes the most sense and it's what I did (real long time ago). I jumped from a 250cc on road/off road bike. Became proficient (some would say that to be debatable) and 2 years later leaped to a 900cc superbike.

Also no shame in being a classic rocker ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm going to go along with Springer here on but add that your size will have a LOT to do with how big of an engine you want/need. My, I'm a hefty guy so I was worried about the 650 being able to get me around. I'd be scared to death to ride a 250...I'd feel like I'm sitting around the bike and not on it. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome. You came to right place. Plenty of experienced enthusiasts on this site. Enjoy and learn. Let us know when the big day comes. Make sure you post pictures of your pride and joy then too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts