Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a new rider! Been wanting to for years so I finally saved up and bought myself a nice used Yamaha. Didn't realize how much I was gonna love this bike but man does it ride nice! Then again it's the only bike I've driven besides my 200cc scooter... Although I love the bike there are a couple things I would like to do to it.The first thing I would like to do is find it a name! I posted a picture of it below so feel free to offer suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You got yourself a nice dependable bike there. Lots of 650 riders here so you came to the right place.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I use to sail catamarans, and the tradition was you do not name the boat, the boat will name itself.

For example, one sailor I knew nudged his nice blue hobieCat into the side of another white sail boat, and left a blue streak all the way down the side of the other guys boat: Blue Streak

Another guy got his thumb caught in the main sail line of his hobie cat and lost his thumb: AmpuCat

Let the bike choose its own name - give it a few months.

And BTW, I find it absurd that car and MC manufacturers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with marketing names for models of vehicles. They are starting to sound like Star Trek characters: Elantra, Landru, Fusion, HyperDrive....

I take the model badges off my vehicles. If I want my vehicles to have a name, I will call it what I want.

After all: its MY car or motorcycle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let the bike choose its own name - give it a few months.
Lucy, my 650cc '04 VStar had her name when I purchased her from a beloved so I kept it, it means Light. That name was given to her because she was a bright spot in a challenging time to my dear friend. So now Lucy is my Lucy Belle (Beautiful Light), Miss Thang, Missy Pants, Luce and the terms of endearments keep coming in for her and I let them. Plus, that's my way for Lucy's name to evolve and give me a voice in the conversation.

And, I just bought a '98 1300cc Royal Star with my partner and that bike I started calling Beauty & The Beast because it is so much bigger and handsomely pretty and it felt right from our first night together, us and the bike that is. Plus, I wanted my partner to also be able to listen to what the bike shared as it's name with him. I'm not pushing that Beauty or anything sticks right now but simply calling it, "the other bike" didn't feel right. As we've been getting to know one another the, "Beast" part has mostly fallen away and Beauty seems to be sticking so we'll see. The hard part has been getting the bike to tell me its gender. :wink:

With that said, I often use my putts to do Oracular work. That is to say that some days I decide to go for a ride and ask a question and let the world around me show me signs that I then interpret for answers. Sometimes I even do this by pointing myself in no particular direction and ending up wherever the bike takes me. In that way I experience and find things I would never had encountered otherwise. If you see where I am going with this and if I may suggest, you might try something similar with your new friend. That is, ask it's name with an open willingness to listen, go for a cruise, chillax and let it speak to you and see what it says.

Like KCW said and I agree, sometimes the process takes months to unfold but when you finally arrive at the answer and if you trust it will happen, you'll know the name when you hear it.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That was a fun intro Jarrodg1993. I named my 950 Rosalita because she's a beautiful candy apple red metallic. My previous bike was a Yamaha FZ6 and was blue, so I named her Sapphire, (kinda lame/dorky, haha). The project bike I'm working on is a Suzuki GSX1100g. It's a very big, masculine looking 4 cylinder with a lot of power, so he will be getting a male name when he's all put back together.

Your bike looks like a classy, tuxedo clad gentleman to me. But hmm, a name? -- Maybe I'll have to agree with the other members here and say that it will speak to you.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Nice looking ride there.
You gotten some interesting replies from our members on naming your bike. I let my 950 tourer name itself so to speak, and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Enjoy the forum and ride safely. You'd be hard pressed to find a better membership group that truly loves to ride and helps one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Not much for naming my vehicles, although my wife has started referring to my bike as 'the other woman'.
My nephew wanted to name his HobieCat 20 "THE BETTER HA_..." with a smear of paint after the missing letters LF

BTW I ended up naming my hobieCat HydroManiac because I was like a crazy man on the water.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome Jarrod, from southwestern PA. Nice ride ya got yerself there. I call mine "The Beast", cause that was my first impression of it. My quad I named "Bertha", cause when I got it, I had to work on it. And every day that I went to do that, the first thing I saw was it's big ole butt. So... reminded me of the old Troggs song about Bertha Butt. I think it was the Troggs. So yeah, a name will come to ya sooner or later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to thank you all for welcoming me and also I wanted to say that last night (less than a month after getting the bike) I hit my 1k mile mark! And that's while driving my Durango to and from work! I think I'm addicted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts