Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Eric and I am a software programmer. I've been riding for 3 years. Here is my story...

No shame here ..... due to high gas prices in 2008, I managed to talk my wife into allowing me to purchase a motorcycle.
Being a new rider, I decided to get a lightweight, good gas mileage bike. After searching high and low, I settled on a used 2005 VStar 650, with tons of addons.

15K miles, windshield, lightbar,
saddlebags, sissy bar, luggage rack,
passenger floorboards, pedal covers,
stoplight cover, front floorboard extensions,
HK longboy pipes.

The dealer was kind enough to ride it home for me. I watched all types of videos on riding. I learned a lot. Turn the bars right to go left, always look into your turn, the bike will follow your head, and other odd little facts.
I took my video training to the next step with a motorcycle riding course and got top of class with a perfect riding course grade. At the course I learned the basics and I also learned about "What if's".

So .... after a nervous 15 minute wait at the end of my driveway, I finally let off the clutch and eased onto my street. I was officially a rider. I immediately rode to a parking lot and practiced starting, stopping, figure eights, etc. It was a lot different than the Honda Rebel 250 I rode on the course.

Even if I could put the feeling into words, I don't think you guys need to hear it, you probably already know.

I work 25 miles from home. So after a week or two, I was ready for the interstate.
I rode and rode and rode. Rain...sleet...snow...I RODE!!!

Starting March 30th 2009 I rode 119 days that year which is 64%. I saved a total of $457 in gas and accumulated 6,000 miles.
In 2010 I rode 160 days, 67%, saved $780 and added 8,000 miles.

I consider myself to be an all-weather rider. I've got 14K under my belt and I absolutely love everything about riding.

That is the end of the happy story and since I have to post 3 introductory posts I will continue in the next....

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.
Great story, probably an inspiration to others considering the wonderful world of motorcycles.

As usual, Miesch, the delusional one, is confused. At years end the winning prize is a drawing of my Strat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey VStar Riders Part II

....the intro continues...

Here's the beginning of the not-so-happy story...

My brother is a motorcycle painter. I made the mistake in January 2011 of giving him my fenders, my tank and my brand new hard saddlebags to get them all custom painted.

He kept my parts 10 months. When I finally got everything back and bolted back on, I rode for a couple of months then started having troubles.

I had electrical issues. I think I have that resolved.
Currently my rear cylinder is not working properly.
See my thread for the details.
----thanks for your input Miescha

But I will say that my bike looks better in my garage.

BTW... you don't see the new hard saddlebags because I never got those back.
They are still scuffed and waiting for paint 2 years later.

More pics you say???

·
Registered
570 Posts
Go get your bags, man. You could learn how to paint three times over in two years. Put your beautiful, for a blue one, bike together and ride with pride.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
No wonder you have issues with your bike. Look at the colour :D

You're a very patient man. I would of gotten my parts sooner than that and done something with them. Once you get your bags installed; the bike is going to turn heads for sure.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts