Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Heyla!

My name is Colleen & I just got my first bike about two weeks ago, a Yamaha VStar 650 Classic. Shes a lil older and needs some TLC but shes a tough cookie :) My forward controls are arriving this week so she'll be a lot more comfortable to ride ( I am 6'1 w/ 36inch inseam!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd also like to ask a quesiton (went to go post in vstar forum but I guess my account isnt fully activated yet). My brakes are suishy and I am not sure what are some possible solution. My neighbor bled the brakes, I took the top off the resivoir and tied down the brake and left it for a day yet so far no real improvement. It seemed a little better after I left it tied for a day, but only slightly and after I rode to the store the improvement vanished. Any ideas without having to replace the front master cylinder? I have a '99 vstar 650 classic so I'd hate to spend good money if I don't have to.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
It seemed a little better after I left it tied for a day,
Did you leave it tied out in the hot sun without food or water?:eek::D:D:D

Welcome, Irish!

You need to give us a little more information, not the least of which:

1. Does your "neighbor" know what he/she is doing when it comes to bleeding brakes?

2. Is it just the front brakes that are "suishy" or do the rear brakes smell like fish as well? (Sorry, couldn't resist:))

3. Are your brake fluids at normal level? Any bubbles in the sight glass?

4. Is there any evidence of leakage anywhere in your system? Drips, puddles, etc?

The symptoms you describe sound like there's still air in the system that either has yet to work its way out, or more air is being induced when you apply the brakes.

In a little bit you'll be able to post in all sections of the forum, and we have several mechanical pro's with actual experience with your model (I confess, I have never owned a 650:eek:)) and they will come rushing to your aid.

Regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya! Thanks for responding so fast : )

My neighbor is a tech but is a Harley guy so the V-star is not his forte.
LOL! yea, not gonna lie if it smelled fishy, I wouldn't of touched it - gotta do the sniff test!
No bubbles, when I left the brake pulled in overnight the Reservoir didn't go down at all.
No leaks at all.

The guy at Coleman Powersports told me the same thing when I called up asking about new front master cylinder. Just frustrating I cant figure out how to fiz it

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Just frustrating I cant figure out how to fiz it
...throw in a little Alka-Seltzer...:D:D:D

I confess I've never heard of tying the brake lever down for an extended period of time as a "bleed air" method. Most techniques involved cracking the bleed fitting and pumping the brakes multiple times until the fluid comes out smoothly sans bubbles. Even (especially:D) an HD tech should know how to bleed brakes as hydraulic systems aren't terribly different in design/function from each other.

My thoughts would be to repeat the bleed process a couple more times before I jumped all over a master cylinder investment. Gut feeling is that there's still air in the system.

Was the bike in active use before you purchased it, or was it a "find" somewhere?

PS-

Try sending an appeal via PM or other section of the Forum to LinerDave or Fulltilt or DieselDave. Very knowledgeable folks and very helpful (unlike most of us:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
New here also but welcome... I would try bleeding them a couple of times also...I mean what does it cost just a little brake fluid...Also hope the forward controls work well for you...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey, hello-a.

If you're going to bleed the brakes again, which I agree is the best idea, try doing it differently than the normal old way. Instead of draining the system, then adding to an empty master cylinder (which is what lets the air in to begin with), connect your bleed hose and make sure the waste end is submerged in a little bit of brake fluid in your waste container. Open the master cylinder and the bleed screw, and squeeze the brake lever until the fluid goes down some, but not enough to empty the master cylinder. Top the master cylinder off and repeat until new brake fluid makes its way out the bleed screw.

This way, you're not letting new bubbles into the line, and you should have a nice firm feel to the brakes. I changed the fluid this way in the '02 650 that my girlfriend bought this spring, and it made a night-and-day difference. I'm willing to bet this is the source of your soft brakes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome from Arlington VA Colleen! I also just bought my first bike, also a 1999 V Star 650 classic. Hope we get to ride together someday!

Patti

·
Registered
281 Posts
Top o' the mornin' to ya

+1 to what they all said. I use ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4 on my bike. Great stuff.

Welcome to the forum! Come in and set a spell. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I am going to try bleeding the brakes a few more times as it sounds like that has to be the problem. Thanks for the idea Caliente I will give that a go!
Patti - hit me up on Facebook, Fireyshamrock there too - I have a group (a bunch of bikers in my neighborhood) that goes riding on Sundays always welcoming new riders to come with :) *fingers crossed on the fwd controls*

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! =^.^=

·
Registered
116 Posts
Patti - hit me up on Facebook, Fireyshamrock there too - I have a group (a bunch of bikers in my neighborhood) that goes riding on Sundays always welcoming new riders to come with :) *fingers crossed on the fwd controls*

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! =^.^=
ok will do! I'm Patti Hurst on FB (not very original I know). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from where ever i might be.

After bleeding the brakes (properly) as per Springers suggestion try a little peanut butter dipped in Hershey chocolate, that always makes me feel better.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Welcome from where ever i might be.

After bleeding the brakes (properly) as per Springers suggestion try a little peanut butter dipped in Hershey chocolate, that always makes me feel better.
Yeah. Because sometimes you feel like a nut...:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the funhouse Firey! This is a great site for informatin, help, and a good laugh here and there. Good luck on getting those brakes fixed, congrats on the bike and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard your in good hands here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts