Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished modifying my Harbor Freight Lift. This method was pretty easy to do with no special tools.
My Nomad's frame is 12" wide and the saddle on the HF lift is 13". That left a half inch on each side for error.
Every time I lifted the bike I got a knot in my stomach, so I decided to make the saddle longer.

I took off the stock saddle. I had a local steel fabrication shop cut me 2 pieces of 3" C channel (4.1) that were 18" long. (You won't find this at Lowes, Mennards or HD)
I laid the original saddle beside the pieces of C Channel and traced out the holes. Used my 20V cordless drill to drill out the holes.
Painted the C channel pieces and took the rubber grip material off the original saddle and glued to the c channel.
Got some bronze bushings at Lowes and cut to fit for spacers between the lifting arms and the inside of the c channels since the c channel is slightly wider than the original saddle.
Used the original nuts and bolts to put it back together.

Also did the mod to the lowering pedal so that the lift does not come down too fast.
I got a 5/16" combination drill/tap at Lowes and a 5/16 X 3 all thread bolt and lock nut. I like the lift a whole lot more now.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,417 Posts
Looks great. Nice job.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
424 Posts
Nice work. Really like the mod for the release pedal. I have the same style lift that I purchased from Rural King. Have to really feather the pedal to try to lower the lift slowly otherwise it comes down like it's in freefall! Will look to do something similar to mine. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts