Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my much loved Boulevard C-50 for a V Star 1300.
I love the bike and yes, do have a question. The bike has Cobra Speedsters exhaust on it. I love the look and honestly love the sound but only for fun!
Its way to loud and I want to tone it down a lot.
Anyone have suggestions? I am about to buy Cobra's Quiet Core Baffles, since they are the ones that make the pipes.

But, I am curious if anyone has experience the the smart partz or any other baffles.

Thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the site.
If it was a quick fix I would say steelwool in the pipes would help muffle the sound but that does burn off in time.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Just traded my much loved Boulevard C-50 for a V Star 1300.
I love the bike and yes, do have a question. The bike has Cobra Speedsters exhaust on it. I love the look and honestly love the sound but only for fun!
Its way to loud and I want to tone it down a lot.
Anyone have suggestions? I am about to buy Cobra's Quiet Core Baffles, since they are the ones that make the pipes.

But, I am curious if anyone has experience the the smart partz or any other baffles.

Thanks
Welcome to the 4M.

My first question is if there is a significant price difference. But a baffle by any other name would sound as sweet.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard. Haven't you heard loud pipes save lives.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome aboard. Haven't you heard loud pipes save lives.
Unless they kill me ears and I can no longer hear!
Ordered the Cobra Quiet Cores ... they will still be loud but not ear splitting to the people in my community.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh? What did he say? :rolleyes:

Welcome! Enjoy and all the best with you new ride. :)
Thanks! I am impressed with the ride, for sure!
Just gotta get some lowers for the nasty Yami windshild buffeting. I guess its going to be Bucks, was tempted by Memphis Shades but Bucks (at much greater cost) is made for the v 1300

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unless they kill me ears and I can no longer hear!
Ordered the Cobra Quiet Cores ... they will still be loud but not ear splitting to the people in my community.
I'm looking to put some speedster longs on my 950, and I want to keep the noise at a less-than-obnoxious level, too. I was thinking the same thing about the Cobra quiet baffles.

How happy are you with those? Do they keep the volume manageable? Also, it looks like the baffles are available in 15" and 24" versions. I assume that the 24" would quiet the exhaust more. Which ones did you go with? Do they come in pairs, or do I have to order one for each pipe?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking to put some speedster longs on my 950, and I want to keep the noise at a less-than-obnoxious level, too. I was thinking the same thing about the Cobra quiet baffles.

How happy are you with those? Do they keep the volume manageable? Also, it looks like the baffles are available in 15" and 24" versions. I assume that the 24" would quiet the exhaust more. Which ones did you go with? Do they come in pairs, or do I have to order one for each pipe?
I just ran the Cobra Quiet Cores and I think they suck but keep in mind that is for my bike, others might feel different. They do take the edge off the sound EXCEPT the darn things emit a VERY low frequency at more then a few different speeds and loads. This sends reverberations through your helmet and makes you cringe. I am returning them and they better take them back. If not I will name the store.
I went back to the stock Cobra Speedster baffle which is pretty much a straight through pipe that is twisted with ridges. The sound is louder BUT a higher tone and much more tolerable in your helmet.
I did try something just yesterday. It was VERY simple and more effective and better then the quiet cores.
1. I purchased fiberglass pipe insulation at Lowes. Its in the plumbing department. Its perfect for wrapping the stock baffles of the speedsters. There is not much room to wrap around the baffle and why the pipe insulation works PERFECT. Its nice and thin, easy to roll around the pipe, took be maybe ten minutes on each STOCK baffle.
The result is MUCH better then the quiet cores. Deeper tone and more quiet, sort of. However you still get that low frequency reverberation at times but not bad at all.
2. I still think I am going to pull the baffles again and take off the insulation, the pipes are much louder without it, yet the tone is much better for my ears. No reverberation.
3. For the heck of it I may try the Smartpartz quiet baffle, nothing to lose since they offer 30 day money back trial. But I am unsure, I got to like the sound of the Cobras with the stock baffles, I will figure out this week if I pull the insulation and just continue to use the stock baffle or try a Smartpartz. I will without a doubt be returning the Cobra Quiet Cores. I think they are a waste of money and unsure, but will know soon, think they trashed my gas mileage.
4. The sound of the Cobra Speedsters is awesome with the stock baffles, I just thought to loud but as I get used to them, I dont think as bad as I thought they were. We will see and again, right now I have them wrapped in fiberglass and very effectively lowered the sound level.
5, If I were you I would also check out Vance and Hines Exhaust. I am not so impressed with the Cobra offerings. First off you can bet the tips of the Cobras will start to peel their chrome, second, Vance and Hines offers a LOT of different exhaust tips that you can change the look of your pipes with, Cobra offers almost nothing.
More or less, to me, Vance and Hines seems like a more complete exhaust line.
Hope this helps...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts