Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am Fred (Atlanta, GA), and I have picked up my first cruiser this fall. I considered several options but bought the 2008 Warrior in that candy red metallic.
Before I used to ride primarily sports bikes, and I also had a maxi scooter, but this is the first cruiser I got.
I registered here hoping to get some mod ideas and I am sure you have already discussed the main things that may be new to me.
Nice to meet you all!
Fred.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
great looking machine

ride it for a while and decide how you will be using it

these bikes look great setup for solo riding, without the passenger seat

and if you are not touring and carrying luggage, even better with the bike naked

if you are heading for the interstate highways over 75mph, you might want a fairing

the metallic paint they put on these bikes glows in the sunlight from 100 yards away

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, thanks for the warm welcome!
I absolutely love my new ride and even though I've had it for a couple of months already, I didn't have a chance to ride it a lot.
Now I think, whether it is a good idea to ride it in winter or no, but for now she's just sitting in my garage. I hate that road salt and chemicals, and I feel it may just kill the metal and paint.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Oh, yeah.... dont trash your bike for a handful of december/january rides.

I looked at an '83 Goldwing a few years ago. Owner bought it new when he was in the Navy, and it only had 16,000 miles on it

but... several years ago he took it out for a ride in February when there were a few nice days, but the roads were still white with salt, and did not give it a thorough wash down after

the frame and exhaust and underside of the fenders were rusted as a result - he ruined what would have been a pristine low mileage GW from a very desirable year.

Need to wait till there is a good downpour to rinse the salt off the roads, and then have a sunny day so the roads are dry and black, for that first ride after the snow.

That or have the hose and buckets of soap waiting for you in the driveway.

EDIT: and then you want to start the bike up and take it for a 5 mile ride to dry it off... cant do both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that is what happens to the running boards of my Tundra truck. The boards themselves are made of stainless steel, so they are more or less okay, but the mounting hardware had to be replaced after every winter. So I even do not want to think what the bike will look after driving in such conditions...

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
Hi Fred! Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I have family in Suwannee, lots of places to ride over your way. We’re having a Southeast members rally in Waynesville NC next September, you need to come join us, an awesome group that attends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome Fred from Rockwell, NC. YES, you need to come to our Maggie Valley Rally. As a matter of fact, GArider (Rich) lives in Atlanta. He’s got a brand new 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental (Gray).

·
2,532 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, Fred. Great ride you got there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts