• high beam

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if you're running your high beam while riding and it goes out, are you still able to use your low beam? and vice versa? if your low beam goes out while riding, are you not able to still use your high? is it different if you're running a halogen vs. an LED vs. an HID bulb? i have an HID kit on mine, and before i hooked up my projector, there was no difference in light output between switching from high to low so i don't even know if mine has a true low/high function.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes they should be different filaments in the bulb itself so one should work independent of each other.. :) If they both don't work than you either have a bulb that broke the filament and than shorted the other one out or a wiring issue.

Not sure with the LED.. but should be separate circuits so should work some what i would think using the other circuit.. all LEDS might not be on at the same time high vs low beam setting.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
the standard low beam / high beam filaments are not that much different, something like 50W / 60W.

the real difference is the filament is in a different physical location, which changes the projection of the beam of light low and high.

That is what allows you to see down the road with hi beams, the headlight is pointing higher, and only a little bit brighter.

If the LED elements are not in the same physical location as the lamp filaments, it will not utilize the reflector correctly.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
the low beam filament has a hood so it only shines on the upper half of the reflector the high filament lights the whole reflector, i use low in daytime for two reasons 1 i like to use passing lamps as an alert at times and 2 i wan't high beam at it's best when i really need it, on any h-4/9003 bulb both filaments are never lit at the same time unless someone did some rewiring, the better conversion leds adjust in and out and rotational for focus so you can get a fairly good pattern with those they also have a hood over the low beam for the cutoff, with leds both filaments are lit on high beam unlike an h4/9003

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Guess I'm inconsiderate to on coming traffic. I use high beam 99 percent of the time, night or day. Also have my passing lights on. Hope I look like a train coming down the road. I want to be seen. In Houston with all the traffic I feel like just maybe the other drivers will see me better. I know it's not right but works for me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Guess I'm inconsiderate to on coming traffic. I use high beam 99 percent of the time, night or day. Also have my passing lights on. Hope I look like a train coming down the road. I want to be seen. In Houston with all the traffic I feel like just maybe the other drivers will see me better. I know it's not right but works for me.

problem with blinded drivers is they can steer right into you.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
problem with blinded drivers is they can steer right into you.
That's why I said 99 percent. I do flip to low beam when oncoming traffic is close on two lane roads. Most of my ride in to work is on divided interstate with concrete barrier, so oncoming traffic can't see my headlight.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I run low beams during the day. I have lights on my highway bars & those are on all the time. Night riding ... I use the high as much as possible. & do my best not to blind on coming traffic.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I rarely use my high beam... whether there's oncoming traffic or cars ahead of me on the interstate I do not want to blind them, which I think is common courtesy. When there are cars traveling ahead of me there's also no reason for me to use high beams because their headlights shine up the road far ahead of mine and I use theirs to see into the distance.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I keep my low beam on during the day as a courtesy. Around here, with daytime running lights mandatory, you sometimes meet cars with high beams on during the day. While not as bad as at night, I still find it distracting. My eyes are drawn to them and I end up seeing dancing blue spots for a few minutes afterward.

At night I have to use my high beam if I need to see more than the ten or 15 feet my stock low beam shines, but I use the lows when I meet oncoming traffic. I don't ride much at night but if I start doing it more, I'm definitely upgrading that piece of $#!t headlight.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
When I see someone turning left across my path, or someone pulling out onto the road in my lane, I slow down, to the speed limit at least.

If I cannot see where the driver is looking, or if the wheels are moving at all, I slow down even more. Of course you have to be aware of what is behind you all the time.

The slower you are going the more time people have to see you. At least a few times every year someone is doing a rolling stop, and I stop completely, or go on the shoulder, or both.

Never assume there is a driver in the other car who will yield like they are suppose to, the drivers eyes might be rolled back in his skull and he may have just died. If the other vehicle is on a collision course, stop or go around him.

BTW, something I noticed on my 650 last summer, there is a block of hard rubber or plastic under the light right below where it attached to the mounting bracket. It had slipped out from where its suppose to be, and the headlight had drooped down about 10 to 15°. Im not sure if its suppose to be glued in there, but if your highbeams are not lighting up the street, check for that. Its about the size of a 9V battery, but only about 1/3rd as thick.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I( run low beams unless at night and need the high beam. My passing lamps are wired to the low beams so high beams cut those off so I'm actually putting out less light. Yeah I could rewire them but don't see the need. Plus if I run the low beam and someone does something stupid I can flash my high beams at them to hopefully get their attention. I feel someone is more apt to see a low beam turning to a high beam than vice versa.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
High beams during the day, low beams at night in traffic, otherwise high beam. Even our MSF instructor said to use high beam during the day. I run LED lights in my bikes. Like was stated above to be DOT legal the low beams are shrouded. So with the LED in the day you do not see them as well. On the Wing I have the 4 headlights, the 2 fog lights and 6 running lights on the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts