Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had posted an introduction here but it turns out I had not. I'm getting forgetful as I get older, but that's ok because it's harder for me to hold a grudge.

I'm John, and I live in the Dallas, TX area. I've got a 2007 V-Star 1300 Tourer that I just bought a couple of months ago, with about 7900 miles on it. I guess the previous owner liked the idea of a big cruiser but then when it came time to ride it, didn't like it as much. I see that when people get into motorcycling at an older age for the first time, and they don't ride a smaller bike for the first year or so to get accustomed to riding before they move up. That 1300 is a tank, 8 feet long and heavy, which makes it great out on the road but I can see where it would overwhelm an inexperienced rider. I ended up with it because it was in my price range and had the hard bags, windshield, and back rest already on it, and I'm really glad now. It's a real pleasure to ride.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,052 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Congrats on the new bike. Here's a few intesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt:

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
'06 Stratoliner S
26 Posts
That's a nice scooter you got there, Bubba.
Greetings & welcome from Athens, Georgia.
Where-bouts in the DFW area ? I lived in Celina (between McKinney & Denton; north of Prosper) from 1996-2008. Moved back to Ga. in '08.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Nice bike! And greetings from S. W. Louisiana, close enough to Texas to really see what I'm missing out on. 😉

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola , Florida

I know exactly what you are saying , I bought a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner , the original owner had it for 13 yrs and put 9k miles on it. Here is the part I don't understand , he traded it in for a Harley.
So I got a good deal and in a year put 11k miles on it , 2k more then he did in 13 yrs.
Congrats on the bike , we are the ones that are the winners in those deals, we get a great bike cheap.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,137 Posts
Hello John and welcome again from a displaced Texan in Virginia.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic Canadian Edition
26 Posts
Welcome from Alberta, Canada! Nice looking ride. I have an 1100 V Star with pretty much the same set up...just picked it up this spring and absolutely love it. I would like to see how different the 1300 would be to the 1100. Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a nice scooter you got there, Bubba.
Greetings & welcome from Athens, Georgia.
Where-bouts in the DFW area ? I lived in Celina (between McKinney & Denton; north of Prosper) from 1996-2008. Moved back to Ga. in '08.
I live in McKinney. Celina has pretty much become a suburb now, people are commuting into Dallas from there, Denton, Krum, Prosper, Anna, Van Alstyne. I'm thinking in 20 years, commutes from Sherman and Gainesville into downtown Dallas will be happening. I've driven through Athens a few times, on the way to Elberton when I was driving a truck for a living. Decent sized town, without being overwhelming, is the impression I got about Athens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello John and welcome again from a displaced Texan in Virginia.
Virginia is nice too! Whereabouts are you? I used to always make a point to stop in Raphine at White's Truck Stop to help support them. They've gone commercial now since the owners passed away, though. I think TA owns them now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome from Pensacola , Florida

I know exactly what you are saying , I bought a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner , the original owner had it for 13 yrs and put 9k miles on it. Here is the part I don't understand , he traded it in for a Harley.
So I got a good deal and in a year put 11k miles on it , 2k more then he did in 13 yrs.
Congrats on the bike , we are the ones that are the winners in those deals, we get a great bike cheap.
I'm sure you had no problem putting those miles on that bike. These things ride really nicely. I've had two Harleys, and otherwise all Japanese bikes. I looked at Harleys as well when I was shopping, and I only found Sportsters and the occasional Evo big twin for the price range my Yamaha was in. A Road King, which I figure is a close comparison to my bike as far as how it's laid out with the windshield and bags but no fairing, was easily twice as much money with triple the miles on it. I thought to myself, "What does a Harley do so much better than this Yamaha to justify spending thousands of my dollars more on it?" They don't hold value like they did 25-30 years ago, and while they do hold up better than the Shovelheads, they're still not anything super hi-tech, powerful, fast, well-riding, or sharply handling. The Japanese bikes in my opinion do it better for less money.

Here's my perception on the Harley crowd. Harley does make a good looking motorcycle, and people seem to like the image, heavy marketing, and "bragging rights" (in quotes because I'm not sure what they're bragging about) of owning a Harley. There are the die-hard Harley loyalists, and more power to them for helping to feed the families of Harley-Davidson workers. They may occasionally entertain the idea of buying a lower-cost Japanese motorcycle, however ultimately they will always feel in their heart that Harley is the only motorcycle that is right for them. I can respect that.

Then there are the toe-dippers, the ones that always wanted a motorcycle but never could get themselves over that first hump to go learn how to ride, or couldn't get approval of their parents or spouse until later on in life. They shop around, find that the Japanese motorcycles are lower cost, get one, and then join up with local riding groups. The groups a lot of times are majority Harley owners, and among those, there is no shortage of Harley gatekeepers who will give owners of Japanese motorcycles a "hard time" about their "not bad for a Jap bike". One of their main motivations is to belittle Japanese (and other non-Harley) motorcycle owners enough to where an inexperienced rider will take that to heart and actually start to believe that they have to spend the money on a Harley just to feel ok about themselves. "Thou shalt not have no other Gods before me" type of attitude from the Harley elitists. Chances are, after buying their Harley, they find it's just as big and cumbersome as the Japanese motorcycle they just lost their ass on when they traded it in, probably rides and handles worse, is more top heavy, vibrates more, and the insecure Harley owners are still talking down to them, since nothing will ever be good enough for those narcissistic types. They got a Road King? Oh man, shoulda gotten a Road Glide, that frame mounted fairing is so much better! Dropped 40 grand on a brand new Ultra Classic? Oh man, shoulda gotten a CVO, that stock 107 motor just doesn't pull that hard! It's a no-win gamble and I hate that it happens. I believe that this kind of behavior has pushed new riders away, or driven them to hang with the squid crowd riding sport bikes and knocking mirrors of any car that gets within 10 feet of them.

Thanks for hanging in there and listening to my rant. It's a bit cynical, I realize. I know that the motorcycle scene is mostly supportive, friendly people, and the people I've met so far on this forum have been really great. I know the gatekeepers are a small minority, they just seem to have the loudest whine. I don't think all Harley owners are assholes, either, I've met many great people that own Harleys. It's only that small group that ends up making people feel like **** that I have trouble washing the taste out. I'm going to keep my spotlight shined on the good people and remind myself of how grateful I am for everyone who I've met along the way.

Here's to many fun miles and new friendships!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from Alberta, Canada! Nice looking ride. I have an 1100 V Star with pretty much the same set up...just picked it up this spring and absolutely love it. I would like to see how different the 1300 would be to the 1100. Enjoy the bike!
Good memories of Alberta. I went to St John's School of Alberta in 1985-1986, and made great friends there that I still keep in touch with. I almost moved there a few years ago but just couldn't line up steady employment. Thanks for the welcome!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts