Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got ticked off on another website for not introducing myself before asking a question. So I thought I better do the right thing.

I live in a little village in Kuranda which is in the rainforest above Cairns in Far North Queensland, Australia. My bike is a 2005 RSTD. I've been off the bike for a couple of years with a back injury (not bike related) and the bike has been kept in storage under a tarp. I found out the hard way that this is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle in the Wet Tropics. Well, now I know. The bike's tyres were all dried up and cracked. The chrome was rusted and pitted. The paintwork looked unrecoverable. The slip on exhausts were shockingly rusted. Brakes seized. Float needles partially seized. Airbox assembly all dried up and cracked.

Bike is now mechanically back on the road, and I'm slowly attacking the rust damage. Fortunately the paintwork was superficial, and a cut and polish brought the old girl back. Sourcing a few second hand parts where the work involved in rust restoration isn't worth the effort compared to the cost of second hand parts in good condition.

New tires, stock mufflers back on, and she rides like a new bike. I've got a shortie windscreen for her which I'll keep on and I'm taking off the back seat/rest and putting on a rear fender rack. No more passengers.

Oh, and half the speedo is obscured. At first I though it was damage to the LED panel, but it looks like it could be moisture trapped behind the lens cover. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it.

And that's about it. Nothing really weird to add in. Except to say that I play the bagpipes. Weird enough?

Good to meet you all, happy riding!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York. Nice intro. Visit often and take advantage of the experience and expertise to be found here. Happy trails...ride safe...enjoy the breeze.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
906 Posts
hello Fraser and welcome from Virginia.
I have moisture in my speedo on my Stratoliner too. Several folks here have disassembled theirs and dried it all out and before reassembly, they add a small desiccant pack, something similar to what we find in a bottle of pills.
I've not done this though based on their advice, I believe I will when I take the bike off line for other maintenance. Good luck and glad you are back in the saddle.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee! Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here willing to share that knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Appreciated. @Boog I'm going to have a go at pulling the speedo apart. That's a good idea about the desiccant bag, I'll drop couple in if there is space. Will report back on how it goes in case it's of use to anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
7,376 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Do you have any before/after pictures? Pictures here are a must have so we can drool over your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @Keith Post. Thanks for the welcome. I do have some old before photos, before the bike went into storage. And I do have a few shots I took of bits and parts of the bike that were the most damaged with storage. But I didn't post them up because I was wholeheartedly ashamed of the state I let the bike get into. But I'll ferret them out and stick them up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
@Fraser we do love a good restoration photo story too. I won't make fun of you until I am assured there is no way you can beat me up... ;):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. We do love pics. Don't worry about ugly pics we all have shared a selfie or 2 here. Glad you got it and yourself going. I have heard of a guy separate the glass on the speedo but i believe it came back but not as bad. Sun is what i have heard works best (if you have sun).

·
Registered
906 Posts
How is the restoration going now @Fraser?

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for asking @Boog. It's going well. The chrome on the bike has come up better than expected. A few places like the headlamp and passing lamp shells where the chrome has "rippled" with the rain and sun damage. From a distance they look fine but up close they're a bit naff. I'll keep my eye open for second hand parts to replace them. The LA Choppers slip ons were totally rust ridden. I took them off to repair them and put the old original pipes back on. Knowing that the slip ons would take a fair bit of work to restore, I polished up the originals before putting them back on, and I must say I'm still enjoying the silence. Don't think the slip ons will be going back on. The black paintwork, especially on the cargo panniers was crazed, but I've used several products to cut them right back and polish them up. It's only when you get up real close that you notice the slight crazing. Good enough for most inspections I would think.

Sourced a couple of replacement second hand parts for little bits that were just too far gone. Left hand switch block had a few bad connections, found another one of those from a breakers yard. Think I might replace the right hand switch block too as it has the cruise control in it, and the mechanical parts of the switches are real glitchy (sticking).

One quarter of the bike still to finish and it'll pass muster for a photo. Windscreen off and waiting to be pulled apart to restore the plexiglass and the chrome panels. And I'm going to take the cylinder fin covers off and spray them engine black to tidy those up (bike is watercooled).

The wheels were in a bit of a mess with something that looked like coral growth growing all over the surface. In fact all the aluminium parts were badly surface damaged. But I've had good results with steel wool and Autosol Aluminium Polish. Back wheel came up great, or 100% better than it was. Front wheel still to go.

The take away from it all... folks, don't ever leave your bike under a tarp cover for 2 years and expect much to be left when you go back. Might be different in say Maine, but here in tropical wet Queensland the climate just destroys whatever is under that tarp. Roadkill here completely disintegrates within a week. Gone! Bikes last a bit longer, thankfully!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
You can wet sand the aluminum then polish it and it can shine up like chrome. Here is some highway pegs on a different bike i used to own. It was just a cheap salvaged old grey piece of aluminum scrap
101_2437.JPG

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks @Deeksvstarclassic. I used wet and dry on the master cylinders. Didn't know if I was doing the right thing or not, but they came up real good. I was waiting for someone to come along and say, oh you shouldn't have done that. But your photos and experience put my mind at rest. I might attack the front wheel with wet and dry with a bit more confidence now. And thanks for posting that photo.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! There are plenty of people here who can assist if you get stuck on your project. Stop by often and post pics along the way...Who knows you may inspire somebody else to take on a project or two! Snoop around and enjoy!

Reactions: Fraser

·
Super Moderator
3,736 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Looking forward to seeing the the pics.

Reactions: Fraser
1 - 20 of 24 Posts