Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden a bike for over 25 years but my wife and I decided to get a couple V Star's and ride around. I bought a V Star 650 (back in the 70's I had a Yamaha 650), and my wife who has never been on a bike got a Vstar 250.... I'm already ready for a bigger bike but have made several changes to the 250...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rite! Actually "hey from Georgia be better"......... We're not native actually but we love it here. Lots of good riding weather. On bad side the drivers don't seem to notice bikes any better than anywhere else! I've installed headlight modulators, back off modulators, signal minders etc. to help with that and actually they really do! (visibility that is... nothing helps the drivers....)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome Dave. I had never ridden anything but dirt bikes until last October when I bought a V-Star 650 as well. As you discovered, the 650 becomes too small very quickly. I now have the 1100 Custom.

Not telling you what to do, but I would take that 250 and trade it in on an 1100. Your wife can probably already handle that 650.

Just a suggestion. Whatever you decide welcome and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent suggestion for folks with wife's that don't mind getting hand me downs..... seriously-- great idea which requires thought and precise execution on my part. I take it you like the 1100?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Love it. It's got 40% more engine and only 15% more weight than the 650. What's not to love....? More solid in the wind....better off the line.....just feels better.

Not sure how long you two have been riding, but there's no rush. Make sure you are comfortable on bikes (strongly recommend taking a safety course if you haven't already). Then let your wife try the 650 in a parking lot or something.

The adjustment from 650 to 1100 takes about.....ten minutes. Maybe go sit on one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You bet.

BTW, is there a Fankenstein, GA too? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The taxes actually make me think it is Dracula GA and not Dacula. There actually may be a Frankenstein, GA. I actually am a California native, San Jose State, who left back in the 70's.... Been back over the years (from San Jose) and got to tell you- Dacula, GA is a great place.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nice set of bikes.Before you up grade to a bigger bike make sure that it is going to be big enough. I went from a 750 shadow to a stratoliner 1900 and haven't looked back. A safety riding course is a great idea. Be safe,have fun and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep.....absolutely concur with HDeater. Don't just limit yourself to looking at 1100's. Look at a 1300 (V-Star and Stryker), look at a Roadstar, Warrior and Raider. Look at a Strat. Go with the one that speaks to you (within your budget, of course. Don't spend the 401k).

Hopefully, nothing will speak to your wife at the same time or you'll have to buy TWO new bikes....! :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
.....or you could just ride what you have, thank the Lord for His grace and provision, and be perfectly content....! :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think we all see where this is headed...... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts