Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New forum member posting an introduction from sunny Melbourne! Nearly 40 years old, still a noob to motorcycle riding. I've been riding for around four months on a 2010 V-Star 650 Classic and signed up here after being told this is the best forum for info on these bikes.

Looking forward to catching up with you all soon!

Cheers,
Gobb

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
G'day Gobb! Welcome to the forum. Nice to meet someone from home... it's durn cold here in SF at the moment and I am really missing the sunny hot Xmas weather I grew up with.

What part of town are you in and where do you ride? I used to take some wonderful rides north in the Kinglake area with a friend on the back of his crotch rocket (I lived in Lower Plenty so north was easier after he collected me).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome :)

M'Lady, I'm in Croydon South, right near the foot of the Dandenongs, so there's some great rides accessible to me there. I've only had the bike a short while since getting my learner's permit in September, but I've had a few rides around the local hills, out to Noojee, over the Black Spur to Marysville, Kinglake, up to Daylesford and so on. I was actually out Plenty way on New Year's Eve, for no good reason other than I just felt like a ride and kept going random places until I absolutely had to turn back... you know how it goes I'm sure :)

Right now, I'm working on getting my daily work commute sorted out while the roads are quiet. It's a 70km round trip with some freeway and inner-city work so it's something different. The weather's turned hot today (36C) so that's going to be interesting with all the gear on. I only have the one set of medium-weight gear and can't afford storage for anything yet, so that should be fun. Oh well, you live and learn I guess!

·
Registered
794 Posts
There used to be some nice rides out near Emerald... it's been YEARS so the roads might have changed. I know that when I do get home the city looks different every time.

As for the gear, check to see if you have an inner liner that can be removed. I have a cold weather rain/wind proof jacket but if I unzip the liner it becomes a tight mesh that allows air through and it is very comfortable on hot days (on super hot days I have a different jacket entirely with a big mesh - around 38oC and up; don't get to use it much now that I've left Texas.) My pants also have a removable liner that makes them much more comfortable in hot weather....

Have fun, ride safe and watch out for those hook turns! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you should mention hook turns, I did my first one on the bike just yesterday on my way home. Silly things that they are, they're still better than sitting in front of a tram with an overactive dinger.

That ride I went for on NYE where I ended up near Plenty, I also found myself out in Emerald after getting to Belgrave and deciding to turn left. That pic I attached to my first post is actually taken half-way along that road. No traffic at all so I just stopped and took a few pics.

Your jacket sounds like mine. It's a Dririder "thingummajig" (official model name) with a mesh outer and a supposedly waterproof inner lining which isn't waterproof at all but is at least warm enough on a cold (by Aussie standards) day. I've taken the liner out and it wasn't too bad riding the last couple of days. Probably wouldn't have been much fun if the traffic was heavier but on the freeway it was alright.

Cheers,
Gobb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts